Chipping Your Older Cat

Colourcloud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I am new here, and have a question. First off, a little info. I have one 9 year old cat, and he is my baby. We live alone..my husband passed away a little over 2 years ago. Since then, Rudy has been my constant companion...and obsession. He is an indoor only cat...and has never been chipped. However, I am going out of town in a few weeks, and this time, instead of boarding him, I was thinking about chipping him. My cat sitter lives across the street, is very very reliable, and he adores her, but I live in an area with tornadoes etc, and I don,t know what I would do if he got out and got lost. But my dilemma is since he is older, how risky is it to have him chipped? I realize it could cause tumors, or the chip could travel, and I am VERY concerned if this risk is worth it? I know the procedure, I have even CHIPPED a cat before when I volunteered at a no kill cat shelter..but the last few years my fear level is off the charts. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. THankyou.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's perfectly fine to chip an old cat. I had mine chipped when she was 14 because my dad thought he had had her chipped as a kitten but he was very much wrong.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chipping is a very safe procedure and is only very minimally invasive. The odds of a tumor are almost negligible - far less than the odds of an indoor pet somehow getting lost - and migrated chips are a well known risk, so anyone who does a decent job of scanning will check the whole area rather than just between the shoulderblades.

In my opinion the benefits of chipping at any age (including seniors) vastly outweigh the risks unless a specific medical condition contraindicates it.

https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/FAQs/Pages/Microchipping-of-animals-FAQ.aspx

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I chip any cat I adopt. Many of them were older when first chipped and none have had any problems. I say go ahead and chip.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also pro-chipping. I, like you, was very concerns about all the possibilities and whatnot but the benefits and peace of mind are awesome to have. It's also very quick and seemed painless.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Another "pro-microchip" vote. In very rare cases, a chip will migrate a little, and I've twice experienced shelter kittens losing their chips, but those risks are minimal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Colourcloud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thank you all so much..for helping to aliviate my fears. That article posted by Blakey Green was wonderful, and very informative. I had searched Google b4 I registered here, and DIDN’T find such an informative article as that one was. I am fortunate I found this site..I wish I wasn’t so fearful of every little thing, but I am just terrified of losing my best friend. He has become my entire life. Yeah, that is sad..LOL..but people who don,t own cats, or just “have” cats, are too quick to assume they are all “alouff” and seem to just tolerate humans, for food and warmth. If they only knew how wonderful the love of a cat can be. Thanks again.