Chicken Soup For The Soul Brand...

LokiNApolloMami

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So has anyone ever tried this brand of cat food? I didn't even know it existed, until I was looking on chewy for a new kind to try, I am currently waiting on my order of kitten dry food to come in! Let me know how your furballs feel about it! Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I haven't tried it, but in looking at the ingredients I don't see anything horrible although there are a couple of gums in the canned food, and quite a bit of good stuff. If I can get the Big Guy to eat it, I just might add it to the rotational menu :) as I'm one of those who tries to serve a variety of brands in order to avoid a lot of any one starch, protein or bad additives.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LokiNApolloMami

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I defiantly LOVE to give my babies variety too!.. I haven't had any problems with them not eating anything.. I can tell when they really like something, as opposed to them just eating so they aren't hungry.. solid gold brand is the #1 so far with all 3 of my furballs!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried this brand a year or two ago, my cats were not big fans, but i have some picky cats. and they change a lot, so they might love it tomorrow :) Some of their foods have Spinach which i do try my best never to feed, even in small amounts if possible.

LokiNApolloMami

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is spinach not good for cats?.. sorry I'm a new cat mom, just got my very first cat a yr and a half ago, and fell in love.. so much I had got two more since lol.. the point is I'm not real.familiar what is good and what is bad for cats I mean I know there are some house plants that are poisonous and they shouldn't have chocolate ... but that's about it as far as my knowledge goes on what the they shouldn't have!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is spinach not good for cats?.. sorry I'm a new cat mom, just got my very first cat a yr and a half ago, and fell in love.. so much I had got two more since lol.. the point is I'm not real.familiar what is good and what is bad for cats I mean I know there are some house plants that are poisonous and they shouldn't have chocolate ... but that's about it as far as my knowledge goes on what the they shouldn't have!
I know spinach is in a lot of cat foods. But its a food they tell us to stay away from if we have a tendency to kidney stones, also high vitamin c supplements, suprising. Spinach is one of the highest sources of oxalate, so i just don't feel like its something to feed a cat, as they tend to have urinary problems anyway. Just my thoughts. I try to stay away from as much grain, potato, vegetable, fruit and such in my cat food as possible.

It will not talk about this type of thing, but one resource i use quite a bit is the cat food database. it rates a lot of common cat foods. I try for High protein, moderate fat, and low carb. More meat, less anything else :)
CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spinach has no real benefit for cats and I think I remember reading somewhere that it can actually contribute to UTIs.

Cats are obligate carnivores so that means that they primarily need to eat meat-based protein. Unfortunately, most commercial cat foods on the market are full of grains and vegetables, are very starchy, and high in carbs. Cats are not built to handle a lot of carbs in their diet. The only carbs they would eat in the wild would be in the stomach of their prey - much less than 10% of their diet. Again, cats need high meat-based protein, moderate fat, low carbs.

Cats also naturally have a very low thirst drive but need lots of water. In the wild, they would get moisture from their prey. Domestic cats are encouraged to drink water from bowls or fountains but even then they typically don't get enough. The best thing to do is to feed as much wet (canned) food as you can and limit the dry. Canned food is usually 70-80% moisture so it keeps cats hydrated. A lot of people feed only wet diets for this reason. Not having enough water can lead to kidney disease - this is one of the most common diseases among domestic cats, likely because of all the dry food we feed.

LokiNApolloMami

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well the food just got here today and as soon as I put it in their bowls... it was like a kitty magnet!.. I can say o believe they like it! Lol

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the food just got here today and as soon as I put it in their bowls... it was like a kitty magnet!.. I can say o believe they like it! Lol
Great, its always a really good feeling when we get one they like! :yummy: