Chicken skin?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should I be using some of the chicken/turkey skin? I usually pull it off.

The turkey thighs especially seemed to have enough fat marbled in it. But it seems like the chicken thighs did too, though it's been a while since I cut them up. And the steak is marbled.

I have no idea how much fat there is in the gizzards.

Based on that, is there enough fat in the meat Jennie is getting, or should I be adding some skin?

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chicken fat is especially fatty--it has a LOT of calories.  If your cat needs to gain weight, then I would include it.  Too much = diarrhea; not enough = constipation.

If on the other hand your cat's weight is normal or more than normal (Ritz--I'm talking to you!):  I pull off all of the skin (and save it for the feral/stray cat colony I feed).  I don't cut away the fat inside the thigh or chicken breast.  Veal and rabbit are very lean, so I leave all the fat on those sources of protein.  Venison appears lean, I've recently ordered Llama and will see how fatty that is.

I've actually seen a fair amount of fat in beef kidneys, and I cut out all of that fat.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't feed any skin, and I trim all the fat. The diet I feed them (as analyzed by mschauer) is (on a DMB basis) basically 71% protein, 19% fat, 1.5% carbs.

The natural diet of a cat is 63% protein, 23% fat, and about 3% carbs (DMB basis). I could bump the fat, but none of the kitties need the calories.