Chicken Freeze Dried Gizzards/Hearts for Dental Health

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any recommendations on brands of chicken gizzards or hearts for dental health? Sango needs at least one tooth extract on Monday with her dental cleaning. As soon as she’s healed up, I’d like to get some chicken gizzards/hearts to help keep her teeth clean. She’s from an abusive hoarding situation so I won’t be able to brush her teeth, but I’d like to get something good for her teeth. Greenies has never cut it and that’s probably just some marketing line anyway. I’ve been slowly trying to reduce her dry food and get her on mostly wet but that’s been a very long process (she’s going to definitely hate being on wet food for a week if that’s what the vet says for her extractions!).

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy chicken gizzards from the butcher at the grocery store. You can get them fresh or frozen. They should be served thawed and raw or steamed. Gizzards have a rough layer to them that acts like a natural toothbrush when cats chew through it. Freeze-dried gizzards won't have the same benefit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm this may prove difficult though. I’m almost positive she was only ever fed poor quality dry food while she was in the hoarding situation. It’s been a huge process to even get her to eat some wet. I’ll keep trying though - she eats around 2 oz. of FF Gravy Lovers and that’s the only food she’ll really touch. I am hopeful once her dental cleaning and extractions are done, she’ll be a little less picky. The vet thinks that at least one tooth is infected so it’s possible she’s in pain :-(

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The vet thinks that at least one tooth is infected so it’s possible she’s in pain :-(
Will the vet be taking x-rays when Sango goes in for her dental? Fingers crossed you will slowly be able to transition her to wet food after the extraction. :crossfingers: Good luck!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm this may prove difficult though. I’m almost positive she was only ever fed poor quality dry food while she was in the hoarding situation. It’s been a huge process to even get her to eat some wet. I’ll keep trying though - she eats around 2 oz. of FF Gravy Lovers and that’s the only food she’ll really touch. I am hopeful once her dental cleaning and extractions are done, she’ll be a little less picky. The vet thinks that at least one tooth is infected so it’s possible she’s in pain :-(
Her texture preferences could absolutely be due to dental pain. Cats don’t chew kibble like they should. That’s why it’s not doing anything for dental health. They usually crunch once or twice and swallow what’s left. She’s probably figured out how to do that around the painful tooth. Certain wet textures she avoids now she may give a second chance if her mouth is no longer in pain. Make sure they do X-rays before extractions so they know if there’s more than one that needs to go. And preferably they’ll also do another set of films after to make sure they got everything. No root fragments left behind!

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
X-rays are included in the estimate. The vet is supposed to call during the procedure if she needs any extractions. I’ll ask if they are going to do films after. The quote is quite high at $600 to $900, so they really should. I’m still quite perplexed that her dental issues weren’t caught during her last exam shortly after we adopted her last year, but the vet had no explanation since it was one of her other colleagues that did the exam. It’s tough because I can’t be in the room because of curbside service with COVID.

I’ve been wanting to go with a different vet but most places in my area aren’t accepting new patients now. I’m on a waiting list at another office.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I second the "after" films ! One of my older kitties had a dental and some extractions. Then a month and a half later he had more infection in his mouth.
Turns out lots of root pieces were missed because his teeth were so easy to pull.... so more infected teeth and gums... they did extensive dental rads the 2nd time. Lo and behold they saw they had LOTS of dental work to do yet.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Docs Mom Docs Mom poor kitty. One dental is stressful enough, I can’t imagine going through that twice! I know anesthesia has improved in the last 20 years or so, but I still worry.