Chicken Allergy or Not??

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys have been about ready to pull my hair out with our otherwise healthy 11 month old kitten other than his ears. When he was 3 months old, he had ear mites extremely bad. Our vet gave him some medicine which cleared them up. I was feeding All Provide and he was okay with it. He then and boy is he even worse now the most finickiest eater. He ate the RAW chicken for I would say a few meals, along with the beef and turkey. It wasn't a week later and we refused to eat the Chicken which left us with Beef and Turkey. To give him another protein we would feed him 2 ounces of boiled chicken that this child loves. We seemed to do okay, then nope don't want the Turkey mom. 😑 That of course left Beef and boiled chicken. Then after a couple months he got to where he just forced himself to eat just enough to stay satisfied. My mom then had me try some Duck from Hare Today. Needless to say he loved it. I then ordered him some Duck, Beef, and Turkey. For his Supplements we used the Alnutrin and Sardine/Anchovy Oil. It wasn't long I started noticing him shaking his head more and more. We took him to the vet and she said he had a yeast infection. I was given an ear wash with a steroid in it to use every other day. I then learned any chicken product can cause ear problems. We did away with the Alnutrin for a month and started using RX Vitamins only to see his ears get worse caked up with earwax. We got one ear cleared up but the other one just wouldn't get well. His doctor told us not only did he have earwax, an ear infection/yeast, and what looked to be some ear mite eggs. She has us doing his Ear Mite Medicine 5 drops every day and then his Ear Wash Medicine 3 times a week with a recheck in 2 more weeks. She told us to feed him only Rabbit for the time being. I am now confused as to if this is an allergy to Chicken. Sorry such a long post, but thought if I explained where we started and where we are now maybe someone could help. For his Vitamins, we are trying Dr. Marty's Feline Prime but it seems he isn't taking to liking them very well and we started out with just a 1/4 of a scoop to his Rabbit.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry but I'm a little bit confused!

What, exactly, is your cat eating now? And how long has he been on that diet? Is he only eating homemade food? Or is he getting other foods, too? What about treats? And what supplements is he now getting, in addition to Dr. Marty's Feline Prime? Basically, absolutely anything could contain a problem ingredient; they're not just limited to proteins.

It can also take time for symptoms to lessen or go away. Particularly with a yeast infection in the ears: our previous cat had that and, unfortunately, the vets at the clinic we took her to didn't know about (or mention) the diet connection. It's no wonder the ointment and ear wash didn't help much! I only figured this out in her final months, when she'd developed IBD.

In any case, it can take a lot of time -- because of trial and error -- to figure out what's causing a cat's symptoms. Which is why I always ask about all the foods a cat's eating. One of our cats has problems with certain thickeners in canned foods, things I figured out by tracking her foods and her barfing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lisa he is only eating Rabbit from Hare Today that is the Meat, Bone, & Organs and has been on it for 2 weeks minus 4 days when we ran out and he was fed Duck. He has been on a RAW Diet since we got him at 3 months old. He doesn't get anything else but his Rabbit from Hare Today. We just started Dr. Marty's Feline Prime this morning. He hasn't had any Supplements since I discontinued the RX Vitamins 2 weeks ago.