Chick Feed As Litter - My New Fave !!!!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clever kitty!
My vet told me not to use clay litter for asthmatic cat and I think the respiratory relief is clay so I don't know if that's really a good idea, but maybe I should give it a try. It seems that a good, not-expensive solution doesn't exist for cats like ours :(
I actually thought about shredded newspaper, but our paper isn't all that big.
I tried pine shavings once. Dust was low, but the tracking mess...holy cow.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
FWIW, the local cats-only shelter has started to use rabbit alfalfa pellets. It must be working for them, but I can’t comment from personal experience. I volunteer at another shelter and only drop in occasionally at the cat shelter to donate.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FWIW, the local cats-only shelter has started to use rabbit alfalfa pellets. It must be working for them, but I can’t comment from personal experience. I volunteer at another shelter and only drop in occasionally at the cat shelter to donate.
Never used alfalfa pellets, but we used rabbit bedding then discovered the wood pellets...twice the amount of wood shavings (40 pounds) at half the price of 20 lbs. rabbit bedding.

If someone would have told me 20 or 30+ years ago that I'd be involved in a lively discussion on the best cat litter, I would have knocked their teeth out. But here I am, and I'm here voluntarily :thumbsup:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been able to cut the dust to almost nothing by mixing littermaid's walnut with clay.
I'm going to try this. How much of the walnut litter do I add? I think I have about 25 pounds of clumping litter in each jumbo litter box right now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do a ratio of about 1/4 littermaid walnut to 3/4 clumping, --maybe a little less walnut.

Try this, --play with the ratios and see how it works for you :). If you need to, you can always add a little more of the walnut. Oh, and be sure and stir it in - I found if I just poured it on top with the thought that the action of the cat moving the litter around while scratching and covering would get it all mixed in didn't really work. I ended up with walnut (because it is very lightweight) kicked/thrown out of the box and on the floor, since he gets pretty vigorous LOL

Last edited:

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I switched from sWheat Scoop to chick crumbles about 6 months ago when the sWheat went up $5 to $42.99 a bag in Canada. I also read all the threads before I did the switch.

I buy the chick starter crumble- 50lb bag for $16 Canadian. To me it looks and performs the same as the sWheat Scoop.

My cats have never tried to eat it and I’ve had no issues with bugs or mice. Before the switch I used sWheat for over a year.

I live in a condo so I needed flushable and I also am concerned about the carbon footprint of clay litter. I don’t think a lot of people think about that.

Yes- I’ve checked with my municipality and I can flush as I don’t live near the ocean or I can put it in my city’s green cart.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the horse bedding pellets, you know the wood pellets i think its pine from dels farm store...I dump it into a square tray the one for holding garden pots and shake it like a pan of gold. The pee dust falls down on to the newspaper...

Is this what you all talking about? Id never use anything else, its like 10 bucks for a 40 pound bag...

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 I believe you can order the New York Times Sunday edition delivered (it will be mailed) any where in the US. It should provide enough for two litter boxes a week. You may need help lifting it and your mailman might leave you nasty notes.

calico man

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm surprised that any cat is willing to walk on, much less pee on those pellets. And I've had two cats over the years that peed on me while I slept, so I understand your concern about the litter. A good friend/fellow rescue mom tells me it's a compliment to be peed on, but I'd rather not be complimented that way. With the first girl I took to sleeping under a shower curtain. The things we do for love...............
I like your user name!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Newspaper is something that meant a lot to us old folks. Many people subscribed when they got new puppies so they didn't have to buy expensive puppy pads. :yess: They were good for lining birdcages and sopping up spills, also for when you cut your hair, or the kids wanted to draw on something and didn't have paper and you wouldn't let them draw on the walls. Some people actually read them. :D

I think Purina bought them all and now turns them into kitty litter.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Newspaper is something that meant a lot to us old folks. Many people subscribed when they got new puppies so they didn't have to buy expensive puppy pads. :yess: They were good for lining birdcages and sopping up spills, also for when you cut your hair, or the kids wanted to draw on something and didn't have paper and you wouldn't let them draw on the walls. Some people actually read them. :D

I think Purina bought them all and now turns them into kitty litter.
I actually worked in the newspaper business in one of my first jobs. I loved it. And yeah, all of the above, plus I loved the local focus. You don't get a lot of that online. My dad used to save the newspapers and take a big stack over to the spay/neuter clinic we used -- they certainly were grateful! because they used them in the cages. Newspaper is known to be clean, too, unlike a lot of other materials.