Chick Feed As Litter - My New Fave !!!!

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks to a thread on this site, I gave chick feed a try as litter. Five. Stars. Exclamation Point.
I got Purina Start and Grow non-medicated from Tractor Supply. It clumps. Has almost no dust. Absorbs stinky smell. There's another "crumble" by Dumor - it's a little less expensive and just a touch dustier, but still good. The cashier mentioned that a lot of folks are buying wood pellets - stall bedding -as litter, but my cats are too finicky to step on them.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks to a thread on this site, I gave chick feed a try as litter. Five. Stars. Exclamation Point.
I got Purina Start and Grow non-medicated from Tractor Supply. It clumps. Has almost no dust. Absorbs stinky smell. There's another "crumble" by Dumor - it's a little less expensive and just a touch dustier, but still good. The cashier mentioned that a lot of folks are buying wood pellets - stall bedding -as litter, but my cats are too finicky to step on them.
Thanks for the tip! I tried a bag of the pine pellets out on the girls and they were like yours. They refused to step on them. Even if they were in a box mixed with their regular litter. The two of them have five boxes and I'm glad I only tried the pine pellets out in one of them. They would have revolted and started using my pillow instead. :gaah: :running:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip! I tried a bag of the pine pellets out on the girls and they were like yours. They refused to step on them. Even if they were in a box mixed with their regular litter. The two of them have five boxes and I'm glad I only tried the pine pellets out in one of them. They would have revolted and started using my pillow instead. :gaah: :running:
Yeah, I'm surprised that any cat is willing to walk on, much less pee on those pellets. And I've had two cats over the years that peed on me while I slept, so I understand your concern about the litter. A good friend/fellow rescue mom tells me it's a compliment to be peed on, but I'd rather not be complimented that way. With the first girl I took to sleeping under a shower curtain. The things we do for love...............

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a very interesting post.
I'm going to try this out, we have some chick feed but it's not that brand. Our cats like the wood pellets but I hate the fact it doesn't clump, I worry about pee stones and the like.
Awesome tip...thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to try this out, we have some chick feed but it's not that brand. Our cats like the wood pellets but I hate the fact it doesn't clump, I worry about pee stones and the like.
Awesome tip...thank you!
I've had a couple long cat litter conversations with the folks at Tractor Supply and it doesn't so much seem to the the brand that's important, but that they are "crumbles". Personally, I want the unmedicated feed, and some brands don't make that clear on the bag, but it's probably fairly easy to find on line.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a couple long cat litter conversations with the folks at Tractor Supply and it doesn't so much seem to the the brand that's important, but that they are "crumbles". Personally, I want the unmedicated feed, and some brands don't make that clear on the bag, but it's probably fairly easy to find on line.
I already checked, online it's easy but in store we'll be checking the fine print to make sure. The unmedicated feed is cheaper but who knows what those medicines are and if they're safe for a cat?
:hellocomputer:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome tip...thank you!
There is the wood pellet litter that clumps:
Okocat Natural Wood Long Hair Breeds Cat Litter, 22.2-lb box:
https://app.chewy.com/UuNOiwQpFU

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is the wood pellet litter that clumps:
I could never afford that. My cats are so long, I have to buy them the jumbo litterboxes and it takes a 40 pound box per month for one litterbox. I get the store brand clumping litter for $10-$11 per 40 pound box.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Interesting. You wouldn't think cats would care for the taste of corn, but we all have our quirks.
I’ve read—but I can’t remember where—that some cats will eat corn because they’ve been fed a cat food containing corn.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if this would suit the picky asthmatic cat. His executive wash room is off limits to the others but he'll occasionally lower himself and use a public restroom :crazy:
It says little to no dust, have you tried it She's a witch She's a witch ?
We used wood litter in the past and clumping wood pellet was our personal favourite (no tracking AT ALL and very nice smell) and it's not bad when it comes to dust, but unfortunately it can get really dusty when you reach the end of the bag. I had this Okocat and I'd say it's ok-ish - but clumping is much worse than in the brand I used back in Europe. Dust is the same - at the bottom of the bag. The pellets were also longer, but that was not a problem for my cats as they are not picky when it comes to litter.
I also have an asthmatic cat and I decided against Okocat due to mentioned dust. I've tested lots of litters in the last 6 months and I still did not find a good enough dust free litter (we cannot use clay, corn nor pine at all). We currently use grass seed - it's definitely least dusty comparing to everything we used so far, but one bag (out of lets say 8 we've already used) was more dusty, and it cannot happen with my kitty :( so I am still looking for other options (especially that grass seed litter tracks and I don't like it's smell - and it's really expensive). But when it comes to dust it's the best I tried (and best clumping as well)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used wood litter in the past and clumping wood pellet was our personal favourite (no tracking AT ALL and very nice smell) and it's not bad when it comes to dust, but unfortunately it can get really dusty when you reach the end of the bag. I had this Okocat and I'd say it's ok-ish - but clumping is much worse than in the brand I used back in Europe. Dust is the same - at the bottom of the bag. The pellets were also longer, but that was not a problem for my cats as they are not picky when it comes to litter.
I also have an asthmatic cat and I decided against Okocat due to mentioned dust. I've tested lots of litters in the last 6 months and I still did not find a good enough dust free litter (we cannot use clay, corn nor pine at all). We currently use grass seed - it's definitely least dusty comparing to everything we used so far, but one bag (out of lets say 8 we've already used) was more dusty, and it cannot happen with my kitty :( so I am still looking for other options (especially that grass seed litter tracks and I don't like it's smell - and it's really expensive). But when it comes to dust it's the best I tried (and best clumping as well)
This is good to know. The biggest problem we have is dust, and the wood pellets get very dusty if the box isn't dumped in time. I hate hearing that guy cough :(
We've tried so many brands that are very good but didn't work well with an asthmatic. Sometimes I think "99% dust free" means "99% dust? Free!!!!" :sigh:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is good to know. The biggest problem we have is dust, and the wood pellets get very dusty if the box isn't dumped in time. I hate hearing that guy cough :(
We've tried so many brands that are very good but didn't work well with an asthmatic. Sometimes I think "99% dust free" means "99% dust? Free!!!!" :sigh:
Exactly! I buy only the ones that say "dust free" and while I agree that some have less dust than the other, they all have enough of it to cause troubles for kitties with respiratory conditions. My other cat is a passionate litter digger and while he does that, he lowers his head waaay too much and since he is black, he is my personal indication on how dusty the litter is - if I can see from the distance that he's been in the litter box, it means the litter is dusty, no matter what the manufacturer says. So far only grass seed litter doesn't leave too much dust on his black head.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly! I buy only the ones that say "dust free" and while I agree that some have less dust than the other, they all have enough of it to cause troubles for kitties with respiratory conditions. My other cat is a passionate litter digger and while he does that, he lowers his head waaay too much and since he is black, he is my personal indication on how dusty the litter is - if I can see from the distance that he's been in the litter box, it means the litter is dusty, no matter what the manufacturer says. So far only grass seed litter doesn't leave too much dust on his black head.
The respiratory relief litter is great, but we just can't afford it for all.
Before he was diagnosed he was using a covered box with dusty litter and I was always mad that he'd crap right beside the box. He was just telling me he couldn't breathe :(

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The respiratory relief litter is great, but we just can't afford it for all.
Before he was diagnosed he was using a covered box with dusty litter and I was always mad that he'd crap right beside the box. He was just telling me he couldn't breathe :(
Clever kitty!
My vet told me not to use clay litter for asthmatic cat and I think the respiratory relief is clay so I don't know if that's really a good idea, but maybe I should give it a try. It seems that a good, not-expensive solution doesn't exist for cats like ours :(