Chewy vs amazon

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Hector died at home (not euthanized) and I brought her to be cremated my vet gave me a clay paw print which I keep in her shadow box memorial alongside her collar and photo.

I personally don't like auto ship. I end up with way too much stuff if I use it. Kabby won't eat stale food, he crunches it and spits it back out.
You can skip a shipment if it's not needed. Chewy gives you a heads up letting you know that the auto ship is coming up soon and you can do to the site and tell it to skip the next shipment.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can skip a shipment if it's not needed. Chewy gives you a heads up letting you know that the auto ship is coming up soon and you can do to the site and tell it to skip the next shipment.
Or you can delay the shipment until it's just right. I did that for several months until the next shipment arrived as the same time I ran out.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It wasn't the same service but the auto-ship for Alice's kidney food was that way. The last few months of her life she ate less and less so I would do that. When the supply issues were at their height during the pandemic I had the opposite issue. She was still eating well then. The vet had food so there were a couple of trips to the vet to get stocked up. Since it was the same service that supplied the vet they probably gave preference to the vet offices when supplies were tight.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I always tend to think about the workers…which company offers them more safety, benefits, health care, chance at promotions…I THINK Chewy is a little better on this front, plus, I shamelessly adore their commercials.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Not too long ago we had some serious rain come down in a short amount of time. A local animal control was under water and another local rescue helped them out. Lo and behold, Chewy sent a truck load of donations so I will not complain too much when I received an overstuffed box lol.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I use Chewy for the girls and Amazon for me. Chewy is a fantastic company. I can order something and, most of the time, it's here the next day; they have a warehouse about 60 miles away from us. Chewy uses FedEx around here. And if Rick isn't home for some reason and the FedEx guy comes, he'll even bring it in the house for me. When Pepe and The Beast died, I no longer needed their prescription food. I received an email from a CS rep who reminded me that it had been a while since I ordered food for them. I emailed back, explaining that both girls had passed away. She was so sorry and sent her condolences. Two days later, I received a beautiful bouquet of flowers from a local florist, compliments of the Chewy team. On the rare occasion when I received badly dented cans in my order, I'll email them and they'll send replacement cans. (Small dents I can deal with, but twice now, the cans were dented so badly, they were smashed open. I don't know if that's Chewy or the shipping. Either way, I can't use them.)

And yeah, the Chewy commercials never fail to make me smile.

Amazon has its issues, but overall I'm satisfied. We have Prime and we use it. But you have to keep an eye on their items. Sometimes, they are cheaper than our local stores, but often they're not, particularly for things I can't find locally anymore. That's truer with the third-party sellers, I think. Amazon holds fairly steady with their two-day shipping; at least, that's been true around here. They used to ship a lot via UPS (and we know our local UPS guy; he's a sweetie). Now we're seeing more "smiley vans" in the area. With Prime, we also get the Prime TV channel and we watch it often. And books. A lot of books. At the beginning of every month, I get a list of chosen books. I can chose one, sometimes two, for free as a Prime member.

I had to return one item to Amazon. They sent me the labels, I packed the item, affixed the label and took it into our local UPS. A few days later, Amazon emailed me that they received the item, and credited my account. Easy. I think you can take Amazon stuff to Kohl's for return, too.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My problem with auto ship is I forget about it until it shows up. I just got one from Petco I don't need yet.
That is the problem I had with Alice's prescription food. During the pandemic there were some very late shipments and I was able to get food at the vets. It wasn't thru Chewy it was the same company that supplied the vet clinic, I imagine they gave preference to vets when supplies were low. They then caught up the shipments so I had a lot of food stocked up. Then Alice started eating less because she was getting close to the end. I was able to return the food at the vet clinic when I had Alice euthanized.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My problem with auto ship is I forget about it until it shows up. I just got one from Petco I don't need yet.

Chewy sends a reminder email about your upcoming auto ship. If the ship date doesn't work for you, you can change or cancel it. Do you not get the reminder emails?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I always go into Chewy as soon as I get an order and adjust the next ship date or quantities based on how much I have in the house.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chewy sends a reminder email about your upcoming auto ship. If the ship date doesn't work for you, you can change or cancel it. Do you not get the reminder emails?
Yeah get the emails, I just often go right on by them, I get so many emails. I do go in periodically and update the dates. I have about 5 or 6 things on autoship with Chewy, one with Petco, 4 with Vetsource.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just got my auto ship reminder. I don't need any more of Leroy's food at the moment (and no where to store more extra bags) so I'm going to reschedule the delivery for maybe October.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kieka Kieka I also received a portrait just today of my Kirby. It contained a card mentioning national video game day. I love the portrait so much. I've been so upset with the damaged food lately, but I may have just changed my mind.
20220906_165409.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wonder if Chewy will celebrate National Disney Day on Dec. 6? Then maybe Leroy will get something :biggrin: Maybe Emma, too, since Emma Watson played Belle in the live action version of Beauty and the Beast but maybe that's a bit of a stretch.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kieka Kieka I also received a portrait just today of my Kirby. It contained a card mentioning national video game day. I love the portrait so much. I've been so upset with the damaged food lately, but I may have just changed my mind.View attachment 431014
So cute!

I've had shipping issues with Chewy. But they have always resolved the issues without a big fuss. I have learned to order bagged kibble separate from cans/pouches. I do the dry food order, wait for shipping notice, then do the wet food order. If I need to order other things with either I group soft edged items with dry food and hard edged items with wet food. It has solved most of my damaged in shipping issues. But I've also had the single pouch of food instead of a case or the entirely wrong product; but they have always resolved it quickly.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm on a fixed income so I only use Chewy when I can order enough stuff to get free shipping. I get my Amazon Prime membership for half price so I use them when I have smaller orders since the shipping is free.

My new kitten right now is still undecided as to what she will eat, so there's been a lot of trial and error. Once she settles on a diet I know she'll eat, I'll go back to ordering in bulk from Chewy. I'd rather give them my money than Amazon.

Chewy does have excellent customer service. I imagined Amazon would not but here's a surprising story: my finicky cat decided she would eat a certain Fancy Feast flavor right before it disappeared from the shelves everywhere a few months ago. Chewy was out of stock, but I did find a third party seller on Amazon who had it but was charging a fortune. The problem was, Maple would eat nothing else except tuna and I did not want to get her accustomed to expecting tuna all the time so I gritted my teeth and paid $80 for two 12 can cases. RIght after that, the same food was back in stock at Chewy, so I ordered four cases. I figured I was all set but apparently Purina had messed with the formula and she wouldn't even consider going near it. So now I had four cases of food that apparently disgusted her. Then the two 12 can cases I had ordered from Amazon arrived. She ate it!! I looked at the expiration date and lot numbers from the food I got from Amazon and they were different. I realized what I had was the old formula. Probably back-stock which is why they were so expensive. I immediately went to my order history but could not find the seller who had sold me the older, more palatable cans. After a half hour of frustrating searching, I asked Amazon's help bot about it, but it had no idea what I was talking about. Finally I confused the bot enough to get a screen offering customer service help. It said to enter my phone number and I would receive a callback. To my surprise, someone called immediately! And it was ten thirty at night! Not only that, but they helped me identify the seller! I never thought that would be possible with Amazon.

The seller no longer had the food I wanted, but it was nice to know that in an emergency, you could actually talk to a living, breathing person at Amazon.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To my surprise, someone called immediately! And it was ten thirty at night! Not only that, but they helped me identify the seller! I never thought that would be possible with Amazon.
I'm amazed, good for you!