Chewy Acquired By Petsmart

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed they stepped up the advertising :/. Other than that I haven't noticed any differences so far. I hope their prices don't go up.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Only time will tell. I too hope their prices stay down and the free but still quick shipping continues. I love having litter on autoship. I get it delivered every six weeks. I would have smaller shipments delivered more often but then they wouldn't qualify for free shipping. It is so nice not to have to hassle with it at the store and getting it into the house.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This was discussed not long ago here on TCS:

Chewy.com Customer Service
Chewy And Petsmart

I don't shop at either Chewy or Petsmart since neither has anything the cats need. I buy raw food and high end canned from an independent pet store, the cats don't play with toys and don't need anything else, and I buy litter at BJs. If I have small furries, I might buy bedding or food at Petsmart if there is a sale but that's about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
We may also see benefits from this too though. Petsmart is massive so they may be able to expand to places outside the US.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We are now Chewy customers. The Beast eats a Royal Canin SO food for her kidneys. Ms. Pepe is on a Royal Canin Renal Support canned food for her kidneys. We were buying the food from their vet, but something happened between the vet and the Royal Canin site (our vet says RC was hacked quite badly....I don't know if it's true). The last time I ordered food for the girls, it took a good two weeks for it to get here.

On Tuesday, the vet called to suggest that we just start ordering the food from Chewy. Both foods are prescription and the vet said she would make sure that they took care of that when Chewy called them to confirm the prescriptions.

Didn't take long.....I ordered the food on Tuesday night and it came into work this morning (Thursday)! And I didn't pay as much through Chewy as I would have by buying it through our vet.

I may put the food for Pepe on auto-ship as it's only 24 cans to a case; that won't even last her a month. Food for The Beast is gone in about six weeks.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Chewy is very responsive when items are damaged during shipping. I've gotten replacement cat litter multiple times. It is annoying that they don't pack well enough to keep the boxes from opening about half the time, but they always make good on their errors. If I contact them via live chat, I like that they ask me about my pets while waiting for the order to go through. It's possible it's not even a human asking me the questions, but if it's a bot, it's a very friendly bot.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope prices don't go up, and it doesn't affect customer service. There's always Petflow.com if Chewy goes downhill after being taken over. I don't like it when companies get too big. It usually ruins things. But Chewy hasn't been profitable. I don't know how much longer it could sustain itself without making profit. Everything they made had to be put back into the company for the most part. So I can see why selling it to a bigger guy and letting them take over would seem like a good idea.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
After a round with Chewy and the fact they will not ship to a PO Box I ended up on the PetSmart site which does without complaint. I've used them twice now with no complaint and they have the over 50$ free shipping

A) no matter what I do to correct it UPS and FED EX deliver to my neighbors who are thieves anyway meaning if I am not home at the usual delivery time here I probably will never see my package and have to go through a claims process.
B) If it does make it to my porch and I'm not home the neighbors free range dogs would likely sniff it out and destroy the box and the contents. I don't need another world war going on here.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both UPS and FedX have options where you can choose to pick up your package at one of their delivery sites. Specify that with your order.

As for changes, the only one I've noticed so far was reported by a friend, who used to order Fromm Dog Food from Chewy and she said last time they did not have it anymore.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Both UPS and FedX have options where you can choose to pick up your package at one of their delivery sites. Specify that with your order.

As for changes, the only one I've noticed so far was reported by a friend, who used to order Fromm Dog Food from Chewy and she said last time they did not have it anymore.
We don't have a delivery site nearby.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you rent a PO box at a UPS store you can pick up packages there too (using their physical address). I know some small towns have UPS stores but not all :/. But if you have one it's an option.

Yeah, I saw they don't have Fromm anymore. I don't curreny use it but used to get their dog food. Hopefully they don't cut many more brands.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
SOOoo, as you can now see, they have cut many more brands.
I think I will be taking my business to Petflow.com even though they don't have a good return policy like Chewy does.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Hound & Gatos discontinued their affiliation with Chewy, as soon as PetSmart acquired them. They prefer to sell to smaller, more private, intimate stores.. at least that is what they said on their Facebook page.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
not that I am aware of.. either the food company posts it, or it is trial and error, and search

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking again about how everyone was afraid that Chewy might change but I don't think they have. Btw Hound and Gatos is back but Fromm is not. They still send flowers when your pet passes, they sent two painted portraits of my sisters dogs, they gave me 40% off of my autoship when I was going to cancel because I lost my job, then they sent me a surprise box off treats and toys for Bosco, Luna, and Artemis. I dont think there was anything to be worried about. Prices didn't change, shipping is still good.
20180627_160249.jpg
20180627_160527.jpg

Faire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They've asked me for pictures of my cat twice which got me excited. Other then that and a refund I've yet to be a recipient of any of the personalized stuff some people have received.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
They've asked me for pictures of my cat twice which got me excited. Other then that and a refund I've yet to be a recipient of any of the personalized stuff some people have received.
All of that stuff is decided randomly. So fingers cossed you get something! Im hoping for some portraits, those are really nice.