Chester is in the hospital

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for all the support!

As expected he hates the wet food. I gave him a spoonful, he sniffed it and walked away.

But he did eat some of the dry. And has been falling for my slight of hand and eating it instead of treats. Hopefully it will last.

Also, he has used the box three times today. All were good sized clumps. Much more than his usual day. Now I can worry that it is too much.

The only bad thing. The regular vet called because they had gotten the report from the E-vet (apparently they share) and did not think my appointment was scheduled soon enough.

The E-vet recommended a follow up visit in two to three weeks. The regular vet thinks it should be two to three days. When I tried to explain that I was following the other vets orders and it would be very hard for me to get there any sooner, she made it sound like I was being an unconcerned pet owner.

So I reluctantly made an appointment for Saturday.

Now I have to impose on my friend Ronda again and ask her to help me on her day off. I did call my nephew who lives 45 minutes away and tried to get him to help but he has to work.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think your friend will mind. I know I wouldn't. She clearly understands the importance of Chester's health issues.

There are several prescription urinary brands to choose from so if he ends up not liking the Purina you still have Hills (what I use) and Royal Canin and...Wysong? I think is one, I think Eukanuba used to have a prescription line but I don't know if they still do.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With my Dante, the e-vet faxed over his results and course of treatment (a week or so of Baytril, and a pain killer) and recommended I call my vet the next day (a Tuesday - all this happened last Labor Day). I did call and reported that Dante had pee'd normally, so in this particular case, they told me to bring him in in seven days for a check-up. That said, Dante hadn't been blocked - he had been doing a lot of little pee's, which led the vets to the thought that his urethra was irritated and causing him discomfort. Dante was, I think, not as far along the continuum of crystal formation as Chester was. Perhaps that's why your vet was eager to see Chester sooner, especially since he was hospitalized.

I think vets do get a bit worried that a lot of people (not us!) see the cat doing better, and don't get in for a follow-up.

BTW, Dante still isn't crazy about wet food - if I get a large teaspoon a day down him, I'm happy. But, he likes the Hills dry CD - and, knock wood, all has been good test wise since September. So, I'd say not to get overly stressed if Chester doesn't go for wet - be nice it he did, sure, but don't make both of you crazy trying to force a transition to wet.

And, you and Rhonda both deserve a round of applause for taking such good care of Chester!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that he is home!!!!

He is peeing more than normal from the IV, they usually leave them on the IV for a long time while at the vets to flush out the bladder.

If he starts refusing the Purina try Hills C/D, all 6 of my cats loooooooove it. I use it for treats for my non-crystal cats lol. It is their fav food besides people food.

I am glad he is on the mend!

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I don't think your friend will mind. I know I wouldn't. She clearly understands the importance of Chester's health issues.
I really appreciate her help. But I am not used to having people do things for me. Usually it's been me that is doing for everyone else. It's hard to accept being the one who needs the help.

On top of that I feel bad because she just lost her youngest kitty to cancer a couple of weeks ago. It was very sudden and a real shock. And two of her remaining three have health issues.

Originally Posted by darlili

With my Dante, the e-vet faxed over his results and course of treatment (a week or so of Baytril, and a pain killer) and recommended I call my vet the next day (a Tuesday - all this happened last Labor Day). I did call and reported that Dante had pee'd normally, so in this particular case, they told me to bring him in in seven days for a check-up. That said, Dante hadn't been blocked - he had been doing a lot of little pee's, which led the vets to the thought that his urethra was irritated and causing him discomfort. Dante was, I think, not as far along the continuum of crystal formation as Chester was. Perhaps that's why your vet was eager to see Chester sooner, especially since he was hospitalized.
The E-vet recommended two to three weeks for a follow up and I had already scheduled the appointment. But as it turns our maybe earlier is better because he threw up one of the meds this morning.

I immediately called and they said to stop giving it and they will review it tomorrow.

Originally Posted by KatKisses

I am so glad that he is home!!!!

He is peeing more than normal from the IV, they usually leave them on the IV for a long time while at the vets to flush out the bladder.

If he starts refusing the Purina try Hills C/D, all 6 of my cats loooooooove it. I use it for treats for my non-crystal cats lol. It is their fav food besides people food.

I am glad he is on the mend!
They had the catheter in for 24 hours. He peed in the box four times yesterday. I was surprised that he had the much left in him. And at least once so far today. I need to go scoop again.

I have to confess that I don't read the health threads very often. Honestly, I can't imagine how a person with a chronically ill kitty copes with the stress. If this keeps up I'm going to need a mental health thread for the humans.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

I really appreciate her help. But I am not used to having people do things for me. Usually it's been me that is doing for everyone else. It's hard to accept being the one who needs the help.

On top of that I feel bad because she just lost her youngest kitty to cancer a couple of weeks ago. It was very sudden and a real shock. And two of her remaining three have health issues.

The E-vet recommended two to three weeks for a follow up and I had already scheduled the appointment. But as it turns our maybe earlier is better because he threw up one of the meds this morning.

I immediately called and they said to stop giving it and they will review it tomorrow.

They had the catheter in for 24 hours. He peed in the box four times yesterday. I was surprised that he had the much left in him. And at least once so far today. I need to go scoop again.

I have to confess that I don't read the health threads very often. Honestly, I can't imagine how a person with a chronically ill kitty copes with the stress. If this keeps up I'm going to need a mental health thread for the humans.
It is stressful, terribly so, but you adjust. I have been caring for special needs kitties for many years now, and it's true, when a cat suddenly becomes ill with a chronic illness the stress is very high. You feel like crying all the time, you can't bear to leave the house , in case something should happen, but then...when you are on your way home you find yourself dreading walking in the door and being faced with coping again.

As the months pass you get used to it. You never stop worrying, but you adjust. It IS a roller coaster, there can be many ups and downs, good days and bad days.

But we'll get you through it all.

I am so sorry for your friend's loss. And I understand how much you hate asking for help, I am the same way. However, you are not asking for help for yourself.

This is about Chester
, and you would do anything for him, and I bet your friend understands that. Offer her gas money, offer to do something for her like help her clean her fridge or some other chore she hates to do.

I'll be thinking of you both tomorrow.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today's visit was good. I had a different vet and I really liked her.

She looked at the x-ray and decided to focus on the possible small stone. She didn't think the image was clear enough to defiantly say stones but didn't want to take a chance.

She prescribed a different food. This one is a dissolving diet that consists of canned food only for 30 days. Then the UR food as maintenance.

I can imagine it is going to be a long 30 days. He has already turned his nose up at the food. And it is all he can eat.

On an up note...he was back to his old self this morning. He was yelling for his breakfast. He hasn't done that for the last two days. He was real happy until he saw what it was.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd suggest that if Chester gets really stubborn about the food (have you tried warming it with a little warm water, that sometimes work), make sure you tell your vet immediately - this is not the time you need a hunger strike going on!