Chester is in the hospital

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He was fine yesterday. But today when I went to scoop the box I saw the he had pooped but there was no pee.

Then tonight when I was just sitting down to supper I noticed him in the box. He seemed to be just sitting there for the longest time. As soon as he got out I went in to check and there was noting in the box. He had tried to go but apparently nothing was coming out.

He had a UTI at the end of May and at that time the vet said if he had more symptoms to take him back in.

The vet is closed but after a call to the emergency vet I had a friend come over and she got him into the carrier and off we went.

The were not busy and got him right in. I was already a mess but when they told me that I had to leave him I lost it.

They gave me a list of what they are doing and the test they are running but it's all a blur right now. All I know is he will be in overnight then if all is well after that I can pick him up Thursday morning.

He was in the back but I asked if I could see him before I left. The tech brought him out and put him in my arms.

It was the first time in ages that I was able to actually hold him. It was soooo hard to let him go!

I cried all the way home. And now I have to be without him for two nights.

***as soon as I hit post I realized I was in the wrong forum.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness you were so vigilant and didn't waste time getting to a vet - maybe when you're calmer you could call and see if they have time to go over the details again - or perhaps in the morning ask your vet to call and get details and let you know what's going on. It's totally understandable that you weren't able to retain all the details.

I know you won't sleep - but try to rest and make sure you eat you have to be strong to take care of Chester when he comes home - if nothing else, you'll be very busy checking the litter boxes to make sure he's pee'd (I know still do - my boy had struvite crystals last fall - I'm still totally excited when I see nice regular pees).

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a nightmare for you.

Hang in there; at least you know that he's in good hands. Sending vibes for a speedy recovery.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh how scary! But well done getting him right in to the vet. I bawl too if I have to leave a kitty at the hospital but your fast action makes all the difference to him.

I'll be thinking of Chester

I know it must be lonely without him, some vibes for you too, try to get some rest!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been there! Many hugs for you and him.

Do you know if he was completely blocked? Even if he was, he should be just fine in a few days. He probably felt like a million bucks once they got the urine out of him!

It's been 2yrs since Bear blocked, but I still stop and watch every time I see a cat in the litter box.

I know it is impossible not to worry, but take care of yourself. Call the vet every day so you can be reassured that he is just fine.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a litter box action watcher too. Even Tolly, who's never had a problem (thank goodness, since he's the boy) I watch.

Chester is on my mind!
Chester

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I called first thing this morning. The person who answered knew right away who I was calling about.

She said that he has a catheter in and it was working out fine. They plan to remove it around 8 tonight and if he goes with no problems he can come home. The earliest would be 10 tonight. But she thinks he should stay over for the night just in case.

I asked how he was acting and she said he was quiet, just laying in his cage. I mentioned that he is usually afraid of everything and she said "he is a nervous cat" but doing OK.

In my relief (and I was on the verge of crying again) I did not ask for any details on diagnosis or cause. Sometimes I am just so over emotional/stupid I forget the things I need to ask about.

All I know is he was fine on Monday. When I scooped the box everything was normal. Tuesday afternoon he had gone to the box but I didn't think anything was out of place until later when I went to scoop. He had pooped but no pee. This had be worried.

Then about six I was just sitting down at my computer and I saw him to into the box. I can just see the corner of it from where I sit. He went in and sat there for the longest time. I kept checking but did not get up because he does not like company when he is in the box.

Finally after about ten minutes he got out, looked at the box, pawed the floor a couple of times then left. I immediately got up and checked. There was nothing in the box except foot prints.

That's when I got really nervous and called my friend Rhonda. Because of my physical limitations and his fear I have a hard time getting him into the carrier. Then it's a problem to carry him to the car.

Rhonda suggested the E-vet and came right over to get us.

One thing that the vet mentioned was that this is sometimes caused by stress and asked if there were any major changes in the household. I said no and at first didn't think of any thing that could cause him stress.

But today I was talking to another friend and he suggested it might be the new water fountain that I had bought for him.

About three and a half weeks ago I got a water fountain. The idea being that after his last UTI maybe it would be good to get him to drink more water. I thought about it and finally broke down and spent the money for the good one with a large tank.

Unfortunately Chester was afraid to use it. He looked at it but would not drink from it. I had left his regular water dish next to the fountain thinking that whey it went dry he would use the fountain.

No way, he didn't touch it. I kept filling his water dish from the fountain to show him that it was safe. A week later I caught him drinking out of the toilet.

There was water in his dish but he wouldn't drink it. The only thing I can think of is that the fountain had made a noise (it did sometimes gurgle) and it scared him.

My next step was to unplug the fountain and let is sit with water in it and maybe that would help. That was a week or so ago. On Sunday I had just refilled the tank and turned it on.

Coincidence? I don't know. But the suggestion was made that I take it down and put his water and dry food dish back where it has always been. This way when he gets home it looks like what is is used to.

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and vibes.

Now my biggest worry is...if the vet recommends a special diet, my luck is he won't eat it.

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get emotional when my cats go to the vet, and especially the ER. So I'm sending you lots of
and for Chester to get better.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww hun, I am sending lots of healing vibes to Chester. Glad he seems to be doing well. You're a wonderful kitty Mommy!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, sweetie - good for you about remembering about the fountain, but every single vet I've ever talked with always recommends trying a fountain when you have a cat with urinary issues....and you were a great cat mom to get one.

But, there's always a cat that won't like something, so I agree with what you've done. You can always set up the fountain someplace else, if you want to try it, but for Chester, maybe the old ways are the best. BTW, if you have a receipt, I'd try returning it to wherever you got it - a lot of places, like Petsmart, can be great at returns, and I know fountains aren't cheap.

If the vet suggests a prescription food, ask how you can transition into it. My boy had to go onto Hills CD. He adores the dry (he's never been a big kitty for wet food, sad to say) and will eat the wet a bit; my girl liked it right away too. And Dante is sort of picky re food - I was relieved, but don't worry - the vet can work with you - there are several prescription lines, and maybe even some other alternates if Chester gets fussy.

And, honestly, vets are used to pet parents who are too emotional to take things in. I've sometimes had to just email them later and ask if they could give me a synopsis. So, don't worry - you're totally normal there.

And, yay for your friend Rhonda - how blessed you and Chester are to have such a good friend.

Many prayers that Chester is safe at home very soon.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gee your posts look like mine a year ago!

Beeba had crystals, struvite. If they are struvite your kitty will need to be on a vet prescribed food.

At first he was on s/d for 4 months. Would not eat the wet unfortulately, so put him on dry. Not my fave, but it works. Then onto c/d dry.

He is doing fine. He also had to take urine acidifiers for a time.

Fortunately, he drinks out of his fountain. When Chester is fine again, you will become a litter box watcher like the rest of us!! It is very scary, but with the proper food, a good vet, and a watchful mom, I am sure he will be fine.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Iam glad that he is doing ok! I get like that when I speak with a vet, all I can think about is "How is my cat????!!!" and I forget everything else that I intend on asking. I actually end up calling back a couple times because I forgot to ask something, lol. They must think I am crazy at my vets office. LOL!

What food is he on? You could try putting the fountain at the other end of the house, unplugged, with no water in it for a few weeks. In fact, put cat nip and treats in it. Try putting it in a room that he doesn't stay in much. I bet the sounds scared him, one of mine refused to use ours for weeks. I just left their regular bowl out, but she started using it eventually.

They are probably giving him the Rx food at the vets, ask if he is already eating it. If not, ask if they can give you a little sample to try, I know they always have a bag open somewhere at my vets office because they always have blocked cats that they feed it too while they are there. They have it in Dry and Wet, all of my cats loooove the dry but don't like the wet. I think it is a pretty rich food, it doesn't seem bland like other RX diets. If he refuses it, there are some Urinary foods in other brands too.

I hope he gets to come home asap, and it back home cat napping soon!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's hoping for good news this morning. And, yes, at least the Hills CD urinary food is pretty nutrient dense - lots of kitties will gain weight on it, but your vet can help you work out portion size if you need to go that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chester came home this morning. He has a shaved spot on his left front leg and a boo boo from the IV. He looks like he has a poodle foot.

They gave (no sold) me a bag of Purina UT and some cans of the wet. I also got a print out of all the notes they made during his treatment. I think that was good. And a CD with his x-rays.

The basic diagnosis was "one small stone in the bladder and crystals in the urine". Not a huge amount of crystals, but some.

From reading the notes I can see that he ate very little at the hospital. They say he was not interested in the wet but did eat a small amount of the dry. There was one note that I really liked it said "very sweet Kittie".

They also noted that he is very hard to pill. "Ate a pill pocket, spit out the pill." That's no surprise.

So they gave me one liquid medication and capsules that I can open and add to water. Giving medication for the next week or so will be a challenge.

He was laying on the floor next to my chair grooming (now I'm going to be worried about over grooming) then he got up and left the room. As he was leaving I noticed that he seems to have a shaved spot on his back end from where they sutured the catheter. My poor baby!

He is to eat only the prescription food until his follow up visit to the vet. I have already scheduled that for August 18th.

The hardest part of the food change is the "no treats" part. He loves his treats and I do admit to giving him to many. To be on the safe side I had Rhonda take away the almost full bag or dry and the unopened pouches and treats that I had on hand.

This was a good idea since he is already looking for his morning treats. I am going to substitute the dry food and hope he falls for it.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YAY! so glad Chester is home! I use Mazy's c/d kibble for treats, as she cannot have anything but her c/d either.

I have also read you can make treats out of the prescription canned food by putting little pieces on a cookie sheet and baking them for a bit. I've never tried it as Mazy won't eat the canned c/d.