Chest Mass

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My parent's cat has had a mass on her chest for a few months now. It has gotten to the point where she has licked it raw. They are taking her to the vet this afternoon. She is an otherwise healthy cat for her age (around 13). Weight is stable, energy stable, food intake normal.

I'm convinced that the mass is a lipoma, but my parents think it's bad. I really don't want them to rush to put her down. The mass feels rough, maybe about the size of silver dollar, and it is right in the middle of her chest.

Anyone have any experience with chest lipomas? Or even masses on cats in general?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be too many things to try to diagnose. The best thing to do is what you are doing, have a vet look at it to try to figure out what it is. My cat gets a 'raw'spot on her back that she just won't stop licking, it takes months to heal and then comes back. I wouldn't hurry at all to talk about putting her down. She may have many good years left. I don't even come close to thinking that unless I see decline and suffering. I'll pray for your little one. good luck!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wishing her the best of luck, that it is not anything bad! Let us know what you find out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mammary gland cancer. Which is supposed to be rare in a cat that was spayed before her first heat.

She's 13 years old and she's had a good life. They've decided to bring her home and just let her keep living her life until she gets too painful.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mammary gland cancer. Which is supposed to be rare in a cat that was spayed before her first heat.

She's 13 years old and she's had a good life. They've decided to bring her home and just let her keep living her life until she gets too painful.
Can't it be removed?
I did it with a feral cat some years ago, she had both lines of mammary glands removed, and things went smoothly and fine!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry.....just love her as long as you are able, she may have time left that is enjoyable and happy. And I pray she will let you know when it becomes unbearable to go on. I'll pray for her.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can't it be removed?
I did it with a feral cat some years ago, she had both lines of mammary glands removed, and things went smoothly and fine!
The vet recommended not doing surgery. There was a mass in front of the heart that showed up on the X-ray, so it doesn’t seem that surgery is a viable option. She’s still got some good days ahead. No one is in a rush to do anything.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry she got this diagnosis. Sending you guys best wishes that she has as as long as possible, with you guys, happy and pain free. Keep us updated.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry. :( Frustrating to say the least that this has happened even though she was spayed.
At least she's where she will be cared about and looked after in her final days.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So there is a new and interesting twist to this story...

About a week after the cancer diagnosis, my parents told me that there was a quarter sized hole that had opened up in the cat’s chest. The hole began to drain fluid. I told them that it sounded like an abscess, which might be caused by the cancer.

About two weeks later, the hole closed on its own and stopped draining. One of the largest masses had shrank considerable.

The car is still very tender around the chest, but still perfectly healthy. I’m beginning to wonder if the initial “cancer” diagnosis wasn’t a combination of things, including an abscess.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The car is still very tender around the chest, but still perfectly healthy. I’m beginning to wonder if the initial “cancer” diagnosis wasn’t a combination of things, including an abscess.
I was witness of a case of a cat diagnosed with multiple masses in her chest, her days were numbered and nothing could be done to help her... several years ago. Then it came out that the masses were just inflamed spots in her lungs, the cat healed on her own and she's still alive.

Hopefully this case of yours is just a terrible but wonderful mistake from the vets!