Cheaper alternstive to fortiflora please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elainemcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have to order it, I don't know if they ship overseas. I do know they went to the big cat show in the UK and sold it there.
Oh because I goggled it and seem to only find it on US sites. I ll continue to look .
Thank you

Foundkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for advice he s def been a lot better since hes been on dry food it's just hes not a fan!:rolleyes: so that's why he likes the fortiflora over the dry food I suppose it adds flavour to it ! Who knows ? Hes a cat I wish I could read his mind!
Thanks again
have you tried sprinkling cheese (Parmesan/romanoff) instead of fortiflora? Sometimes when my cat turns his nose up he will eat with the cheese.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
V verna davies may have suggestions for you on IBD- (and budget) friendly foods and toppers that are available in the UK. You may want to see her thread on IBD for info in the meantime:

In the US, there are are products called "pet food enhancers" or "meal enhancers" that make food more appealing. They're mostly just powdered freeze dried meat or liver anyways so you can just buy a bag of those treats and crush them up yourself for a lot less. Dry food is often coated in animal digest, the same yummy ingredient in FortiFlora. You can crush up some dry food into powder and sprinkle a little bit over food.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet diagnosed IBS on my cat because all blood tests came back ok. He was put on Hills I/D and hated it. Long story short I went down the food trial course and found he was allergic to chicken, he didnt have IBS. What brought your vet to the conclusion that he has IBS, what tests did you have done.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet diagnosed IBS on my cat because all blood tests came back ok. He was put on Hills I/D and hated it. Long story short I went down the food trial course and found he was allergic to chicken, he didnt have IBS. What brought your vet to the conclusion that he has IBS, what tests did you have done.
Just as a side note, IBS is different than IBD and a food intolerance/allergy might be the only cause of IBS. So the vet was probably right with the IBS diagnosis. IBS was just getting triggered with chicken allergy.

Elainemcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just as a side note, IBS is different than IBD and a food intolerance/allergy might be the only cause of IBS. So the vet was probably right with the IBS diagnosis. IBS was just getting triggered with chicken allergy.
Dont know she asked details of his illness. It's been a cyclic thing. Constantly upset tummy then better upset tummy then better!
Thank you for your advice

Elainemcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
V verna davies may have suggestions for you on IBD- (and budget) friendly foods and toppers that are available in the UK. You may want to see her thread on IBD for info in the meantime:

[/URL]

In the US, there are are products called "pet food enhancers" or "meal enhancers" that make food more appealing. They're mostly just powdered freeze dried meat or liver anyways so you can just buy a bag of those treats and crush them up yourself for a lot less. Dry food is often coated in animal digest, the same yummy ingredient in FortiFlora. You can crush up some dry food into powder and sprinkle a little bit over food.
Ok thank you I ve found one available online in uk it's called thrive. I'm going to try it to see its half price of fortiflora . It says it is to encourage cats to eat it ll give me breathing space to look at other foods x

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok thank you I ve found one available online in uk it's called thrive. I'm going to try it to see its half price of fortiflora . It says it is to encourage cats to eat it ll give me breathing space to look at other foods x
Just to say it, you are not alone and we are here if you need advice or just a shoulder to lean on. Commercial food and figuring out how to deal with a sensitive cat can be daunting. The more you dig into it the scarier it can get but you are not alone.

Elainemcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to say it, you are not alone and we are here if you need advice or just a shoulder to lean on. Commercial food and figuring out how to deal with a sensitive cat can be daunting. The more you dig into it the scarier it can get but you are not alone.
Awww thank you so much you guys have been great to a newbie like myself !

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 the suggestion about using a coffee grinder to pulverize some treats was wonderful! I did it today for Stella, my diabetic cat, and she ate all her wet food. She loves Fortiflora although it has not been prescribed for her. It was prescribed for another cat, Chelsea, who refuses to be in the same room with it, so Stella inherited it, but is not more or less hooked.

Elainemcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 the suggestion about using a coffee grinder to pulverize some treats was wonderful! I did it today for Stella, my diabetic cat, and she ate all her wet food. She loves Fortiflora although it has not been prescribed for her. It was prescribed for another cat, Chelsea, who refuses to be in the same room with it, so Stella inherited it, but is not more or less hooked.
Great news my wee man is hooked unfortunately . I'm going to try thrive topper (chicken) to see if he ll eat that its £9.99 for 170g as opposed to £20 for 30g fortiflora.
One of girls I spoke to from purina said it is not a prescription item supplement anyway
Good luck x

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is a supplement which is why it can be purchased without a prescription. Most probiotics are sold over the counter in lots of stores.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OP said her cat won't eat anything that doesn't contain FortiFlora so it's the yummy animal digest the cat is addicted to. That's why crushed up treats were suggested as an alternative to animal digest.

He loves the taste of fortiflora ! So it's not the probiotic I need it's just the digestive enzyme to give pleasant taste to hills ID
Animal digest. Sorry for the confusion, I mixed up my words.
Advita is another similar product to FortiFlora and doesn't contain animal digest but it might not be sold in the UK.

Elainemcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is a supplement which is why it can be purchased without a prescription. Most probiotics are sold over the counter in lots of stores.
I buy it all the time and dont have a prescription. It's just the cost makes it prohibitive for me. Thanks

Elainemcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As an update.
I did a bit of research thanks to some of advice given on the cat site.
We found a company who supply a product called thrive. It's a chicken food topper and my wee man loves it . So that will give me a breathing space to look into getting a better type of food for him. Basically one which is good for him and a food that doesnt need a topper .
A big thank you to everyone who offered their advice.