Cheaper alternstive to fortiflora please

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks for that. I ll stick with it in mean time to give me a breathing space so I can investigate further. Do you know of any wet foods that may be suitable for him ?
Many thanks
Fancy Feast Classic pates are a good starting point. Simple formulation. Very appealing. No questionable ingredients.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elainemcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Animal digest. Sorry for the confusion, I mixed up my words.

I believe young again sells a flavoring to entice cats to eat. But it's really not ideal to sprinkle flavoring to entice your cat to eat something. It's akin to adding kool-aid powder to water to get kids to drink more water. It might work for a while but you dont solve the problem and if you ever run out of kool-aid you are in even more trouble. Plus other versions might have other additives that could complicate matters. The end goal should be to find a food he will eat that also is good for him.
I want a temporary fix so I ve time to investigate a better solution for Sylvester.
Many thanks

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the formula the same in the UK?
I don’t know. I can’t imagine it would be different. Fancy Feast Classic is a fairly simple recipe. If only they didn’t include poultry giblets in their turkey flavor, I would probably feed some of this to my own cat. But she has a chicken sensitivity and I can tell there must be some in the turkey dinner from the way it treats her. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It wouldn't hurt to try if you can find Fancy Feast Classic line in your area. The one you were feeding had 4% beef and then fish or fish derivatives. It's hard to figure out what in that food caused the problems because its ingredients are so general. The prescription food is designed not to irritate so it doesn't help narrow it down any either. I'd look for something with no beef and no fish as those are the two you do know were in the other (albeit very little) and see how he does with other options.

Do let your vet know but I dont know how much I trust your current vet in food related matters.

Elainemcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t know. I can’t imagine it would be different. Fancy Feast Classic is a fairly simple recipe. If only they didn’t include poultry giblets in their turkey flavor, I would probably feed some of this to my own cat. But she has a chicken sensitivity and I can tell there must be some in the turkey dinner from the way it treats her. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿
I dont think we have that brand over in uk
But thank u x

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I dont think we have that brand over in uk
But thank u x
If you haven't seen it before, you might want to check out a local pet store and just read some labels. Look for something that doesn't list beef or fish. A named meat would probably be better than unnamed meats. Shorter ingredient labels are better. If you even do just one meat meal a day it is better then all dry.

As for the fortiflora, it is concentrated animal protein, essentially, so grinding up a dehydrated meat only treat might be the best option. Single animal protein so you can identify which he likes and which cause problems.

Sugar Plum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’d consider switching foods. My cat had flare ups of IBS for years and at one point couldn’t tolerate protein. She was on the Royal Canin hydrolyzed soy food for several years and almost euthanized because she weighed 4 pounds.

I kid you not, Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Lamb & Rice formula saved her life. No vet recommended this. It’s sold at Petsmart. It’s been 1.5 years now. She’s 14.5 & doing great. Best part is that she’s slowly been able to eat other wet food with other proteins.

I don’t know your cat and I’m not a medical professional, but if I were you, I’d try something different. I’m glad I did.

Elainemcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you haven't seen it before, you might want to check out a local pet store and just read some labels. Look for something that doesn't list beef or fish. A named meat would probably be better than unnamed meats. Shorter ingredient labels are better. If you even do just one meat meal a day it is better then all dry.

As for the fortiflora, it is concentrated animal protein, essentially, so grinding up a dehydrated meat only treat might be the best option. Single animal protein so you can identify which he likes and which cause problems.
That's really very useful information does it have to be expensive food or can I buy quality cat food that wont break the bank ?
Thank you very much you have been great x

Sugar Plum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So true - “whitefish” seems to be the worst trigger for my cat.

Elainemcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for sharing I will def. Look into this I'm glad to told me your story many times you feel you are the only one struggling with the problem . I do appreciate your advice.
Thank you

Elainemcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The purina pro plan you use was it wet or dry.
My problem is if I put wet food out and Sylvester likes it he ll eat it and leave the dry food ! Hes a nightmare !

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's really very useful information does it have to be expensive food or can I buy quality cat food that wont break the bank ?
Thank you very much you have been great x
Price and quality dont always align when it comes to pet food. Really good marketing and packaging will get passed along to the consumer as a higher price. Cats needs high protein, moderate fat and low carbs to thrive so finding a food with a good nutritional balance and ingredients is what matters. The brand is semi important only insofar as to note if their are frequent recalls with the brand (which makes it riskier to buy). This website is international and I am in California so what I have access too and even formulas might be different from what you have access to.

About once a year I walk the store shelves and see what is out there. Read labels and grab a few cans of different things to see if there is anything new out there that my cats might like. There is a clear poultry sensitivity in my house and shellfish tend to lead to problems so I avoid both of those. It's harder to know where to start with yours because the food you were feeding literally said meat and animal, vegetable and fish as ingredients with beef being the only named meat. Which is why I'd avoid beef for sure. You also need to try something long enough to get over the new food digestive upset and figure out if it would work. When I started, I bought five or six different foods and whichever they liked I stuck with for a month before trying something else. I am a big believer in having a rotation so you dont get stuck if the formula changes or goes out of production so I am always looking.

Elainemcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Price and quality dont always align when it comes to pet food. Really good marketing and packaging will get passed along to the consumer as a higher price. Cats needs high protein, moderate fat and low carbs to thrive so finding a food with a good nutritional balance and ingredients is what matters. The brand is semi important only insofar as to note if their are frequent recalls with the brand (which makes it riskier to buy). This website is international and I am in California so what I have access too and even formulas might be different from what you have access to.

About once a year I walk the store shelves and see what is out there. Read labels and grab a few cans of different things to see if there is anything new out there that my cats might like. There is a clear poultry sensitivity in my house and shellfish tend to lead to problems so I avoid both of those. It's harder to know where to start with yours because the food you were feeding literally said meat and animal, vegetable and fish as ingredients with beef being the only named meat. Which is why I'd avoid beef for sure. You also need to try something long enough to get over the new food digestive upset and figure out if it would work. When I started, I bought five or six different foods and whichever they liked I stuck with for a month before trying something else. I am a big believer in having a rotation so you dont get stuck if the formula changes or goes out of production so I am always looking.
Yes I know what you mean but Sylvester my wee cat only ever ate one that he liked gourmet gold savoury cake -hes a nightmare !
Thank you

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes I know what you mean but Sylvester my wee cat only ever ate one that he liked gourmet gold savoury cake -hes a nightmare !
Thank you
I know the feeling. My crew was stuck on Sheba cuts for a good six months until I found Nulo. I have three cats to balance: one can't have shellfish or chicken, one can't have chicken or Turkey and my girl will eat almost anything but the few times she doesn't like something no amount of begging works. I do use a topper on things they aren't super fond of; mine is a liquid with chunks of tuna in it sold under the label Fancy Feast Broths. Toppers or grinding up freeze dried meat for a powder can do wonders to change a cats mind.... I just dont like relying on it because then if you are out it is a nightmare again.

Sylvester liked the generic ground meat one which also had added sugar in it. I am wondering if the sugar had something to do with him likeing it. I know other foods that add in animal digest or other flavorings to make a cat prefer theirs; tricky companies. There is something out there that he will like that also won't cause tummy problems, finding it is just going to be a lot of trial and error. Some of our members feed raw because of the same reason and it allows them control of what goes into it; but raw is something you really have to research first. Doing it can be cheaper, depending on your local meat availability and how much time you have to make the food.

Elainemcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know the feeling. My crew was stuck on Sheba cuts for a good six months until I found Nulo. I have three cats to balance: one can't have shellfish or chicken, one can't have chicken or Turkey and my girl will eat almost anything but the few times she doesn't like something no amount of begging works. I do use a topper on things they aren't super fond of; mine is a liquid with chunks of tuna in it sold under the label Fancy Feast Broths. Toppers or grinding up freeze dried meat for a powder can do wonders to change a cats mind.... I just dont like relying on it because then if you are out it is a nightmare again.

Sylvester liked the generic ground meat one which also had added sugar in it. I am wondering if the sugar had something to do with him likeing it. I know other foods that add in animal digest or other flavorings to make a cat prefer theirs; tricky companies. There is something out there that he will like that also won't cause tummy problems, finding it is just going to be a lot of trial and error. Some of our members feed raw because of the same reason and it allows them control of what goes into it; but raw is something you really have to research first. Doing it can be cheaper, depending on your local meat availability and how much time you have to make the food.
It may be the sugar or whatever gravy they have on gourmet gold savoury cake. I always thought he liked them because he was a lazy eater because the savoury cake are really tiny pieces but he doesnt like the gourmet gold pate or melting hearts ?
So who knows ?????

Landon&Lucasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forti Flora isn't the best on the market, Vets just recommend it because it is by Purina. I use Kitty Bloom Xtrabloom Digest Aid and also give my Primal Goats milk has both probioitics and prebiotics.

Elainemcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forti Flora isn't the best on the market, Vets just recommend it because it is by Purina. I use Kitty Bloom Xtrabloom Digest Aid and also give my Primal Goats milk has both probioitics and prebiotics.
Can the kitty bloom be bought anywhere? I'm in uk!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It may be the sugar or whatever gravy they have on gourmet gold savoury cake. I always thought he liked them because he was a lazy eater because the savoury cake are really tiny pieces but he doesnt like the gourmet gold pate or melting hearts ?
So who knows ?????
It could be the texture then. A lot of pate style foods you can add water to and mush up some to make them smoother. I usually dump the can in a bowl and add some water to the empty can to get any missed bits. Only an ounce or two works. Mush it up into the plate until it resembles mashed potatoes and it makes more pate types work for my texture sensitive one.

Elainemcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be the texture then. A lot of pate style foods you can add water to and mush up some to make them smoother. I usually dump the can in a bowl and add some water to the empty can to get any missed bits. Only an ounce or two works. Mush it up into the plate until it resembles mashed potatoes and it makes more pate types work for my texture sensitive one.
Yes that's what I was thinking but I did try cutting the larger chunks but he just sniffed it and sauntered off ! Grrrrr!
Thank you