Cheap outdoor cat house ideas?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So 1 not my cat! But my mom’s senior reformed feral has been pushed out of the house by her obnoxious high prey drive cocker spaniel/Maltese dogs. They chase him and corner him. He used to outside to pee/hang out a few hours but slept inside most of the day.

So now he won’t come in the house at all. 🥲 He won’t even let us pet him. He is mainly sleeping under the car. I suggest she use the space by the doorway where the roof juts out an extra 3-4 feet. It is flagstone on the ground. I suggested the least she could do (besides leaving out food/water that she is doing) is to take an empty storage tubput it by the doorway, put straw in the tub and maybe use cardboard/duct tape to block the wind over 3/4’s of the entrance.

Does anyone have any better ideas for cheap outdoor cat houses? It at worst might get frost there, has a sea breeze 24/7, is damp and rains there sometimes, Southern Ca by the beach.) If he starts using her storage tub I will see if I can make him or buy him a cheap outdoor house to keep him warm.

Should she feed him away from the cat house?

Yes he is neutered.

Chester a few years ago:
30DD4952-CF06-4A82-B6FD-68571D74291D.jpeg

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw a pretty clever idea that some TNR groups were using - large coolers - that run about $25 with a hole cut in the side insulated, dry, can be opened to add fresh straw or blankets, two wooden boards screwed into the bottom (from inside ot the boards below) to keep it off the ground and to stabalize. They tacked a small rubber flap in the front as a door and the kitties were using them.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw a pretty clever idea that some TNR groups were using - large coolers - that run about $25 with a hole cut in the side insulated, dry, can be opened to add fresh straw or blankets, two wooden boards screwed into the bottom (from inside ot the boards below) to keep it off the ground and to stabalize. They tacked a small rubber flap in the front as a door and the kitties were using them.
I think the issue with this is that they are meant for winter.. I think it might become way to hot for them... I love the above mentioned cat house idea I've made some in the past.. but it was for the winter time..

So I guess it depends on what the temp usually is.
Is it usually cooler or hotter?

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the issue with this is that they are meant for winter.. I think it might become way to hot for them... I love the above mentioned cat house idea I've made some in the past.. but it was for the winter time..

So I guess it depends on what the temp usually is.
Is it usually cooler or hotter?
Michigan so the weather varies - from hot to very cold but the cats were using them. Wouldn't the cats just find a shady spot during the day - you could put a little canopy for shade near the entrance for hot days then use that for the flap during the cold? I have never dealt with outdoor cats (except barn cat) I just saw this little contraption and thought it was pretty creative.

Last edited:

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think the one you are talking about with a cooler might be cheaper to make it out of a storage container.. there are a bunch of ideas in the links above.

I hope you find at least one plan that you like and can make it for Chester. I hope he likes whatever you wind up making for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought up catio and training the dogs over a year ago. (oK the dog training since they were puppies.) I’m more worried he might be sick (he is 15? 16? Years old.) The other cats are all younger and pushy towards him…, they always have been.

I’m broke (just enough for groceries) for the rest of the month but if he uses a temporary shelter I will buy him a cat house next month.

Heat wise she lives in a very temperate part of CA. Normally it is 50F at night 70F day. The hottest heat wave was 90F and like I said the coldest at night was enough for frost but that is rare. Because of the constant wind it does get chilly.

I foundsome cheap cathouses that were semi weather proof that I may buy him. There is plenty of room in her front yard to feed him away from the door, so I will suggest it.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat house are these Velcro fabric ones (20-30$) or I might him a proper weather proof cat house and get my boy’s vaccinations done the next month. I saw some nice cat houses on Amazon for $130 - $150

My mom just wants him to come back inside. She recently retired so she had less extra money..

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat house are these Velcro fabric ones (20-30$) or I might him a proper weather proof cat house and get my boy’s vaccinations done the next month. I saw some nice cat houses on Amazon for $130 - $150

My mom just wants him to come back inside. She recently retired so she had less extra money..
is there a way to gate off an area just for him? I feel so bad for him and your mom sounds like "they"were a bonded pair.l

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chester never learned to use a litter box. For years he was a garage kitty and it hurts to see him revert to that. Anyways I moved in with my 2 cats (divorce) & he learned how to be a pet from them. He sits for treats, used to demand nightly cuddles, plays with wand toys and since he got older sleep inside most of the day. He would use puppy pads by the litter box and go outside every day. Then she got the dogs and it got worse for him. They were carrying him inside & outside because the dogs kept scaring him. Then suddenly he won’t even let anyone carry him in. (I moved out and just see him on the weekend.) Actually the puppy pads came after the dogs, before then he was confident.)

I wish there was a way to gate off a room for him. Those dogs displaced the cats …, even in the bed. Well except for 1 cat, Nick bosses them around. They seem to have a healthy fear of the other cats and if they chase them it is only a few steps. But Chester the old man? They chase and corner. This is why puppies should be trained. 😡

So if I buy Chester a cathouse then I know Nick can have it when Chester is gone (and I’m looking at cat houses that will fit 2 cats.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, no way to give Chester his own room in the house? There are ways to build a barrier that will fit most any sized opening, up to an including an entire section of a room. The barrier can have draping or even plexiglass (clear or film) added to give Chester extra comfort from the dogs. A litter box with soil in it might help to adjust him to going inside. The barrier I am talking about can be easily opened and closed for easy access to both sides.

It is DIY made from shelving that can be found at most home improvement stores. The shelving is set on its side and each piece is affixed with zip ties that more or less makes an accordion type of door. Here is an example.
Shelving blockade.png

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My big concern with a cooler would be moisture from condensation and possably voc gases from the insulation. If you've ever broken a cooler before they smell quite plasticy from the voc. Condensation from trapped air also encourages mold growth.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No way to give him a room when the owner is unwilling 🥲 I sent her links to the best 2 outdoor cat houses. I doubt she will buy one though. I just want the old man safe and warm. I will see what I can set up temporarily this weekend & take pictures. I will also see if she is willing to build him a cat house. I like the 2 story one best.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My big concern with a cooler would be moisture from condensation and possably voc gases from the insulation. If you've ever broken a cooler before they smell quite plasticy from the voc. Condensation from trapped air also encourages mold growth.
I don't know if there were or weren't issue, I just thought they were clever. My cats live indoors
Just saw them thought they were clever - didn't touch or move them around so I am only saying they looked creative and the kitties used them.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Chester never learned to use a litter box. For years he was a garage kitty and it hurts to see him revert to that. Anyways I moved in with my 2 cats (divorce) & he learned how to be a pet from them. He sits for treats, used to demand nightly cuddles, plays with wand toys and since he got older sleep inside most of the day. He would use puppy pads by the litter box and go outside every day. Then she got the dogs and it got worse for him. They were carrying him inside & outside because the dogs kept scaring him. Then suddenly he won’t even let anyone carry him in. (I moved out and just see him on the weekend.) Actually the puppy pads came after the dogs, before then he was confident.)

I wish there was a way to gate off a room for him. Those dogs displaced the cats …, even in the bed. Well except for 1 cat, Nick bosses them around. They seem to have a healthy fear of the other cats and if they chase them it is only a few steps. But Chester the old man? They chase and corner. This is why puppies should be trained. 😡

So if I buy Chester a cathouse then I know Nick can have it when Chester is gone (and I’m looking at cat houses that will fit 2 cats.)
Looking at the cat house is a good idea for now, and I'm glad you're trying to help him have a safe space. The dogs are not yours and you have no real control over disciplining them (though they obviously need it desperately, their behavior would NOT fly at my house for one single second. Crated or leashed would be the only way IMO, as well as separated so they are unable to "pack up.)
Based on your climate, it doesn't sound like insulation or heating for extreme cold will be an issue. I would encourage you to find one that has separate entry/exits in case a predator would come along so he has an escape route. Put familiar things inside so he is comfortable with the box. Feed him near it and work up to feeding him almost inside of it so he sees it as "his" spot. danteshuman danteshuman thank you for looking out for him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To answer one of your questions, I feed my feraIs directIy next to their sheIter. It has never caused a probIem. In fact, in incIement weather, it aIIows them to eat without going out into it to a separate feeding area, aIways nice for them. The sheIter and the feeding station are Iocated under an overhang on the back of my apartment. The sheIter is actuaIIy an outdoor storage bench, with an entry cut into the rear of it, as my IandIord wouId have a fit about it. Five years, and no one has noticed that I'm feeding and housing "vermin."

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
danteshuman danteshuman I really like this outside shelter and if you watch it to the end it shows that if you have a large enough container then the Styrofoam lines the inside I like to add the smaller storage container before putting the last bit of Styrofoam on top. This just makes it so you know 100 percent the foam won't collapse. I have made a couple like this and I really like this style.

I have seen one on a website can't remember where but they used an outside storage container similar to this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094QFNM8W/?tag=thecatsite

Thank you for all you are trying to do for Chester. You are amazing.