Cheap And Healthy Cat Food

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to avoid too much fish if you can. Do they have Chicken or Turkey flavors?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've just looked at the Pet Point site again. The Whiskas dry foods look to be about the same quality as Me-o. Can you get Purepet dry food? It comes in smaller bags, but it seems to work out at a similar price to Me-o, but is better quality.

Dry foods or treats described as 'pocket' simply mean that the kibble has a different centre (sometimes slightly softer). It's a marketing gimmick, and doesn't benefit the cat at all. I'd go for the foods higher in animal protein over gimmicks every time ;)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would encourage you to look at the calories per cup relative to the price. A ten pound cat will eat around 200 calories per day. You may find that you have to feed more of the less expensive brands, so you end up not saving any money.

The Whiskas would be all right for starting your feral kitty's diet, if you find it is cost effective for you. The word "pocket" is just marketing. They make the kibble look a little like a stuffed pita pocket. Looking at the foods available in India, it would appear they are all heavy in fish, so I doubt there is a lot of difference in ingredients between the ocean fish and the tuna flavors. Even the chicken "flavor" is likely to be fish-heavy.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you post a link to the Whiskas available to you? They have a chicken & turkey dry food here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ram Keswani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
image.png
image.png
I've just looked at the Pet Point site again. The Whiskas dry foods look to be about the same quality as Me-o. Can you get Purepet dry food? It comes in smaller bags, but it seems to work out at a similar price to Me-o, but is better quality.

Dry foods or treats described as 'pocket' simply mean that the kibble has a different centre (sometimes slightly softer). It's a marketing gimmick, and doesn't benefit the cat at all. I'd go for the foods higher in animal protein over gimmicks every time ;)
I would encourage you to look at the calories per cup relative to the price. A ten pound cat will eat around 200 calories per day. You may find that you have to feed more of the less expensive brands, so you end up not saving any money.

The Whiskas would be all right for starting your feral kitty's diet, if you find it is cost effective for you. The word "pocket" is just marketing. They make the kibble look a little like a stuffed pita pocket. Looking at the foods available in India, it would appear they are all heavy in fish, so I doubt there is a lot of difference in ingredients between the ocean fish and the tuna flavors. Even the chicken "flavor" is likely to be fish-heavy.
Can you post a link to the Whiskas available to you? They have a chicken & turkey dry food here.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, because the chicken Purepet says it is Dog food, not cat food

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are 3 Purepet cat foods there - it's just that the majority are for dogs ;) I still think the Purepet is your best bet - it's much higher in animal protein. The other possible (if it's in your budget) is Drools. That's also higher in animal protein (the most important criteria for cat food, in my opinion) than Whiskas or Me-o. Whiskas has animal protein as the 4th ingredient, and Me-o has it as the 2nd ingredient. Both the Purepet and the Drools have it first on the ingredients list.

Last edited:

Ram Keswani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are 3 Purepet cat foods there - it's just that the majority are for dogs ;) I still think the Purepet is your best bet - it's much higher in animal protein. The other possible (if it's in your budget) is Drools. That's also higher in animal protein (the most important criteria for cat food, in my opinion) than Whiskas or Me-o. Whiskas has animal protein as the 4th ingredient, and Me-o has it as the 2nd ingredient. Both the Purepet and the Drools have it first on the ingredients list.
Purepet fish, Whiskas Chicken or Drools? Final answer. Thank you for your time, thank you, people on the other sites seem so offensive.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd go with the PurePet. A lot of reviews claim Drools either made their cat sick, or the cat hated it and refused to eat it. The most important thing in cat food is that the cat likes it enough to eat it. ;)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say Whiskas chicken because the Purepet is fish. If they had a chicken one, I would say go for it. But that's just me, I try to avoid fish in the title.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see that Me-O has a chicken one, but I've never heard of that brand.

Ram Keswani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Purepet or Drools - whichever is easier for you to get. They seem equally good to me :)
Changing my vote to Whiskas. PurePet doesn't have very good feedback either.
I say Whiskas chicken because the Purepet is fish. If they had a chicken one, I would say go for it. But that's just me, I try to avoid fish in the title.
2:1 for Whiskas, so I am going for Whiskas. Thank You. Good Day. Sorry but how do I delete a thread?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry but how do I delete a thread?
I saw you posted a thread in the wrong category, should have been in "Caring for Strays and Ferals".

You can click the "flag" button in your post and type a note to the moderator to either move your thread to the right location, or delete it for you. You can't delete posts or threads here yourself.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't recognize any of those brands. I just usually use the cheapest 40 pound boxes of clumping litter I can find. If you take in a little kitten, make sure to use non-clumping and change it once a week. Clumping litter you can change once a month if you keep it at 3 inches of litter.