Cheap And Healthy Cat Food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ram Keswani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please do not offer a cat rice to bring it to you. It would be much better to offer it some canned tuna or get some wet canned cat food. Rice as an only food item for cats is bad for them. It takes up space in their stomach making them feel full while they get no nutritional benefit from it. You will be helping the cat much more to offer it tuna or wet food as an enticement.

As I stated before, do not start feeding the cats if you won't be taking it into your home or feeding them on a regular basis. If the idea is to get a feral cat to trust you to bring into your home as a pet then you should start putting down actual cat food when that specific cat is around. Sit quietly nearby and wait for the cat to eat. When you leave or the cat does then take the food up again. Once you start feeding the cat it will depend on you and over time it will trust you. In most cases the feral will eventually either follow you inside or you will be able to pet it but we are talking weeks if not months. Feral cats are slow to trust so do not rush it, do not grab it and do not look in its eyes.

Do not leave food down when you aren't around as the cat will not associate you with the food and by feeding whatever a cat comes around you make the area cats dependent on you. If you stop feeding them once you start the cats will likely starve and face possible death in the loss of a food source they come to depend on.

Honestly, you would be much better served to try to find a rescue group and taking in a single cat if the goal is to bring a cat into your home.

I wish there was an easy answer for what food to buy at $35. Prices vary widely so it is difficult to tell you to specifically buy X product. There is also the issue that I am not clear on who you are trying to feed. Ferals in your area or a single feral hoping to make it a pet. When you are buying for a feral colony you often go with the best dry you can for the dollar (which I would do Purina Pro Plan). If your end goal is to capture a feral and socialize as a pet cat then you would probably be better with wet food (like Fancy Feast) and opening a can just when the specific feral comes around.
Thank you. So I will buy what you suggested, go near a cat, put it in the middle of us, do this everyday and done?

Ram Keswani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please do not offer a cat rice to bring it to you. It would be much better to offer it some canned tuna or get some wet canned cat food. Rice as an only food item for cats is bad for them. It takes up space in their stomach making them feel full while they get no nutritional benefit from it. You will be helping the cat much more to offer it tuna or wet food as an enticement.

As I stated before, do not start feeding the cats if you won't be taking it into your home or feeding them on a regular basis. If the idea is to get a feral cat to trust you to bring into your home as a pet then you should start putting down actual cat food when that specific cat is around. Sit quietly nearby and wait for the cat to eat. When you leave or the cat does then take the food up again. Once you start feeding the cat it will depend on you and over time it will trust you. In most cases the feral will eventually either follow you inside or you will be able to pet it but we are talking weeks if not months. Feral cats are slow to trust so do not rush it, do not grab it and do not look in its eyes.

Do not leave food down when you aren't around as the cat will not associate you with the food and by feeding whatever a cat comes around you make the area cats dependent on you. If you stop feeding them once you start the cats will likely starve and face possible death in the loss of a food source they come to depend on.

Honestly, you would be much better served to try to find a rescue group and taking in a single cat if the goal is to bring a cat into your home.

I wish there was an easy answer for what food to buy at $35. Prices vary widely so it is difficult to tell you to specifically buy X product. There is also the issue that I am not clear on who you are trying to feed. Ferals in your area or a single feral hoping to make it a pet. When you are buying for a feral colony you often go with the best dry you can for the dollar (which I would do Purina Pro Plan). If your end goal is to capture a feral and socialize as a pet cat then you would probably be better with wet food (like Fancy Feast) and opening a can just when the specific feral comes around.
I saw Purina food online. It shows 24 packs of 3 ounces cans for 90$. How long will it run? Is it the right cost?
Sorry but what does quote mean in this site?

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw Purina food online. It shows 24 packs of 3 ounces cans for 90$. How long will it run? Is it the right cost?
If you are going to be feeding only wet food, an average size adult cat will probably eat 2 of the 3oz cans a day so 24 cans will only last 12 days. I don't know how the US dollar translates where you are located but $90 is A LOT for 12 days of Purina. If that is what it is going to cost you to order online, you may be better off finding a local food.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Help - My Cat Food Brand (royal Canin) Seems To Contain Sugar
Nutrition For Cat In India

These are posts from other members in India that might help with food options. I believe @Amryta is also in India and might have some better ideas on food specifically available along with relative prices in your area. The problem is that a food that is cheap to me in America might cost ten times as much after being imported. Which is where knowing what your local stores might stock or what brands are within your price range from online retailers will help in offering advice on which is best.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you reply to a post it shows the body of the message you are responding to, like this. Quote lets you do multiple messages in the response. You would hit the quote button for all the message you want then there will be an insert quote option in the response box.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you. So I will buy what you suggested, go near a cat, put it in the middle of us, do this everyday and done?
Yes. Whatever specific cat you are trying to work with you would only put out food when it is around. You would put out the food, moving slowly and put it down at whatever point the cat seems ready to turn around and run. Walk back so that the food is between you and let the cat eat without any sudden movements. Over time you should be able to get closer and the cat will become more familiar with you. Try to go out at the same times so the cat gets used to the schedule and is more likely to be waiting for you.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt a cat would eat plain rice without anything on it, it's so bland. Can you get Friskies in India? Friskies is made by Purina and it comes in bigger 5.5 ounce cans. Let us know what brands are available in India.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I doubt a cat would eat plain rice without anything on it, it's so bland. Can you get Friskies in India? Friskies is made by Purina and it comes in bigger 5.5 ounce cans. Let us know what brands are available in India.
I am browsing the amazon.in site and I honestly don't see much. It looks like Royal Canin and Whiskas are the top brands there. Friskies appears to be imported and $140 for 24 cans! That's outrageous!

Ram Keswani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am browsing the amazon.in site and I honestly don't see much. It looks like Royal Canin and Whiskas are the top brands there. Friskies appears to be imported and $140 for 24 cans! That's outrageous!
Help - My Cat Food Brand (royal Canin) Seems To Contain Sugar
Nutrition For Cat In India

These are posts from other members in India that might help with food options. I believe @Amryta is also in India and might have some better ideas on food specifically available along with relative prices in your area. The problem is that a food that is cheap to me in America might cost ten times as much after being imported. Which is where knowing what your local stores might stock or what brands are within your price range from online retailers will help in offering advice on which is best.
Thank you. I have found the cheap cat food company. 100$ per year for dry food 5 days a week and wet food 2 days a week. Thank you.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds very low. $100/year? What are the ingredients?

Here is an online pet store specifically for India. Shipping may cost you less there. I don't see ingredients on the products (and don't know how to convert the price). Online Nutritious Cat Foods & Treats - Petsworld

Usually the higher the price, the more meat is in the product and the cat will need to eat less food to get proper nutrition.

Ram Keswani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just needed to know if theres an emergency and I dont have cat food can I feed cooked rice, boiled eggs and yoghurt?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In an emergency, you feed a cat whatever it will eat, but it's much better to have some cans of cat food or dry food stored in a water-proof tub for emergencies.

Ram Keswani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sounds very low. $100/year? What are the ingredients?

Here is an online pet store specifically for India. Shipping may cost you less there. I don't see ingredients on the products (and don't know how to convert the price). Online Nutritious Cat Foods & Treats - Petsworld

Usually the higher the price, the more meat is in the product and the cat will need to eat less food to get proper nutrition.
This would run for 6 months I believe. 1600₹ = 20-25$ approx. Am I right?

Attachments

Ram Keswani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In an emergency, you feed a cat whatever it will eat, but it's much better to have some cans of cat food or dry food stored in a water-proof tub for emergencies.
But no chocolate and milk, right? And the cat food image I posted, is it ok for kittens too?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chocolate is toxic to cats. You can feed kittens "cat" food. Kitten food just for kittens is a little higher in protein.

Ram Keswani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chocolate is toxic to cats. You can feed kittens "cat" food. Kitten food just for kittens is a little higher in protein.
And milk will be my last priority during an emergency, I hope that isnt toxic or fatal.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just needed to know if theres an emergency and I dont have cat food can I feed cooked rice, boiled eggs and yoghurt?
In an emergency, boiled chicken with plain white cooked rice (more chicken than rice, no seasoning) would be a better option. That would be a few days only and not on a regular basis. They do need the full nutritional value of a commercial food or vitamin supplement if being fed a homemade diet.

Yoghurt should only be fed a small spoonful a day and only a few bites of egg. Cats are biologically meat eaters and need actual meat to survive and thrive. Dairy should be avoided, cats cannot process lactose and it makes their stomachs hurt. No cream. No milk. No cheese.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you get stuck and need to feed some dairy, goat's milk and yogurt are a much better choice than cow's milk and yogurt. Goat's milk is much more digestible for cats, and is sometimes used for hand rearing very young kittens.

With eggs, you might find that scrambled egg is more readily accepted than boiled egg (though, as already stated, this shouldn't be the mainstay of the diet). Either way, make certain that the white is thoroughly cooked, as raw egg white can actually stop cats absorbing nutrients.

If you have to feed anything other than commercial cat food, plain cooked meat is your best option. Most cats love all kinds of meats, so you should have plenty of options there.

With commercial foods, the Me-o is fine, but Royal Canin would be a my first choice out of the ones available (if I'm looking at the site you were, it looks like your choice is between Royal Canon, Whiskas and Me-o. Me-o seems to be the lowest quality of the three, simply because it is lower in animal protein and higher in starches than the other two). Definitely feed some wet (canned) food as well as dry if you can - wet food is closer in composition to a cat's natural diet, and it helps enormously with hydration too. The following articles explain a little more about cat food and feeding :) :-
What Do I Need To Know About Feeding My Cat?
How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat
How To Choose The Best Dry Cat Food?
What Makes The Best Canned Cat Food?
Common Foods That Are Harmful To Cats
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake
Homemade Food For Cats: Consider Your Recipe!

Ram Keswani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you get stuck and need to feed some dairy, goat's milk and yogurt are a much better choice than cow's milk and yogurt. Goat's milk is much more digestible for cats, and is sometimes used for hand rearing very young kittens.

With eggs, you might find that scrambled egg is more readily accepted than boiled egg (though, as already stated, this shouldn't be the mainstay of the diet). Either way, make certain that the white is thoroughly cooked, as raw egg white can actually stop cats absorbing nutrients.

If you have to feed anything other than commercial cat food, plain cooked meat is your best option. Most cats love all kinds of meats, so you should have plenty of options there.

With commercial foods, the Me-o is fine, but Royal Canin would be a my first choice out of the ones available (if I'm looking at the site you were, it looks like your choice is between Royal Canon, Whiskas and Me-o. Me-o seems to be the lowest quality of the three, simply because it is lower in animal protein and higher in starches than the other two). Definitely feed some wet (canned) food as well as dry if you can - wet food is closer in composition to a cat's natural diet, and it helps enormously with hydration too. The following articles explain a little more about cat food and feeding :) :-
What Do I Need To Know About Feeding My Cat?
How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat
How To Choose The Best Dry Cat Food?
What Makes The Best Canned Cat Food?
Common Foods That Are Harmful To Cats
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake
Homemade Food For Cats: Consider Your Recipe!
Royal Canin seems to be expensive. Is Whiskas fine? What are pocket ocean fish, pocket tuna? Which one is the best?