Changing toilet habit

Szewan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat’s toilet habit has changed in the last couple of weeks - instead of quite regularly peeing twice and pooping once a day, he’s now peeing mostly once a day (occasionally twice) and popping mostly once every other day. Poops looked normal. No signs of constipation.

I recently made these changes: (1) I increased his wet food to about 5.5 oz and decreased his dry food amount to 1/10 cup such that now 80% of his calories come from wet food (2) I switched him from clay to pine litter, but a new sifting litter box. He has no signs of refusing to use the litter box (no ‘accidents’ around the box it bathroom).

I am thinking either or both these changes caused the change in his toilet habit. Thoughts?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be that he doesn’t like new litter (pellets? Some cats don’t like pellets) enough to spend less time possible in there but not enough to stop using it completely

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My cat’s toilet habit has changed in the last couple of weeks - instead of quite regularly peeing twice and pooping once a day, he’s now peeing mostly once a day (occasionally twice) and popping mostly once every other day. Poops looked normal. No signs of constipation.
Putting all health issues aside, it is normal for a cat to change their toilet visits. As long as they are eating and playing normally and no straining during pee and poop time, don't worry too much. Unless your kitty is straining and yowling while peeing and pees blood or marble size pee and peeing very often or having constipation, then you worry a little and bring him to the vet.

As long as pee is normal sized clumps, once or twice a day is normal depending on the amount of water intake. More water intake equals to larger clumps or more frequent litterbox visit. Poops looks normal and moist and firm is a good sign.

It's good that you are feeding more wet food as they keep your kitty hydrated.

My boy is strictly on wet food and he pees once or twice a day and the pee clumps are big. His poop is moist and firm and he holds his poop like sometimes for 3 days. Certain days he eats more than usual, he poops more frequent. He's 4 1/2 years old.

So I guess your kitty habits are normal and so don't worry ;)

Last edited: