Change In Sleeping Habits-Should I Be Worried?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Selene, like a lot of cats, sleeps during the day. Within the past week, though, she's been sleeping much more. She's also doing it in just one spot. When she's active, nothing seems to be wrong-she's her normal self. Is this just a passing phase? Is there a point when I should start worrying?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. More information would be needed to assess what might (if anything) be going on. How old is she? Are you home more now than you were before? Has there been a recent weather change? Is this spot she is sleeping in brand new or one that she has used before? In general, sleeping more with no other signs of an issue is probably not a big deal. But, the very fact that you posted about this says something is nagging at you that there is more to this story. So, tell us more!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's almost 3. It's the afghan on the recliner, which she would occasionally sleep on as a kitten before ignoring it entirely. Last week, she suddenly rediscovered it, and now it's the only place she'll sleep at.

I'm home the vast majority of the time, and she's used to that. The weather has gotten warmer, but then why would she pick the afghan like she's cold?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats! As long as she is eating/drinking/peeing/pooping normally, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe the A/C is running more and she has just found a nice warm spot to retreat to? Is this spot, by any chance, either directly in the sun, or specifically away from sun rays? Both of those seem - at varying times - to make a difference to my cat. Hope other members will see your post and something will 'ring a bell' with them about their cats that will offer more than I can. Personally, if she doesn't demonstrate other signs of a health problem, she has just selected another favorite spot - until another 'good' spot comes along. I do commend you for being so observant! It is always a plus to be so diligent - even if sometimes, it drives us crazy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'm concerned because the change is so sudden. Charlie sleeps a lot more than he used to, but the change was gradual with him.

I haven't run my AC yet this year. The recliner does have its back toward the window, so I suppose the sun isn't reaching her, although the afghan would seem to negate that.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ruling out all heath issues and no change in Selena’s activities, seems normal to me.

My boy is almost 4 1/2 years old and he has switched many sleeping spots and now he’s back to sleeping in those places that he slept when he was a kitten and as he grew, his sleeping spots keep changing and now looks like he went through one big circle.