Ceramic bowls?

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Long story short -- our siamese kitty developed a bad hot spot on his neck and kept scratching it (no fleas, no flea dirt -- checked by me and the vet).
She recommended ceramic bowls because they currently eat out of plastic bowls. She said sometimes cats develop "plastic-sensitivity "

I don't own any ceramic bowls and was going to buy some this week.
Would the kind of bowls we use as dishware be alright? Like Corelle bowls? -- that is made of a type of glass, I think.

The vet said she had a siamese kitty who had an allergy to plastic and also stainless steel. So she said ceramic is best. Just wanted your opinions!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You have a good vet!

I use Corelle, plain glass and ceramic. As long as the glazing on the ceramic hasn't started to craze/crack (in case of a find at a yard sale et al) you should be ok :)

Some people utilize chinette or other picnic style disposable, so it just depends on what suits you best

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I use regular soup bowls for my kitties and have never had any issues with them. For some reason the ceramic bowls that are made specifically for pets are usually expensive and I doubt that they're that much different than people dishes.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just regular people bowls, whatever kind you like best. It doesn't matter to the cats very much. I prefer heavyweight bowls do they don't get pushed around.

I've found that cats seem to prefer glass, especially for water. I think they like looking at the water level. Ikea has some nice glass bowls but you can find them other places too.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Many years ago our second cat developed chin acne and it was our vet who suggested using a stainless steel or ceramic bowl.
Since then I use both and have never had another problem with any of our other cats.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't own any ceramic bowls and was going to buy some this week.
Would the kind of bowls we use as dishware be alright? Like Corelle bowls? -- that is made of a type of glass, I think.
Very good recommendations by the above posters.

My boy uses ceramic bowls since day 1.

One or two tips for ceramic bowls, remember to use hot water at least once a day to soak for awhile or for rinsing. Ceramic utensils tends to crack or have hairline cracks which can't be seen by the naked eyes that always harbor bacteria. So it's a good pratice to use hot water.
Also do check for chips so that your kitty won't get cut. Handwashing the plate or bowl by hand is the best as your bare hands can feel the chip and if you get cut, throw away the plate or bowl. It's better that your hands get cut than you cat getting cut when their tongues are licking the plate.

Dearjujubebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agreed that the ceramic fountain is a relatively good choice for cats. Especially, the cats that are allergy to plastic and also stainless steel. And ceramics do not breed bacteria.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I use Corelle, ceramic, and stainless only. Oddly, Corelle is one of the safest dishware on the market from almost any perspective and most of it is considered to be lead and cadmium free.

BaileyCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We also use Corelle plates for food and Corelle bowls for water. Same pattern for humans and pets. They are washed and kept separately. :)
One time when we had friends over for dinner, I put the dinner rolls in a large Corelle serving bowl. Our son pointed to the rolls and asked, "Is that the dogs' water bowl?"

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Corelle dishware is made of a material called pyroceram. It was originally developed by Corning Glass Works to be used by NASA to build heat proof parts for rockets. The stuff is absolutely inert and impervious to most chemicals. The original Corelle dishes, made back in the 1950's were virtually unbreakable, too, but they stopped making them that way because, if dishes never break, nobody will buy new ones.

Yes, if you've got a Corelle bowl, it would be a good thing to feed your cat from.

Regular ceramic would be good, too, as long as it's fully glazed. ( and its non-toxic glaze.)

We use stainless steel bowls to feed Casper with.
We bought six stainless pet bowls from Walmart. They were only something like $1.99 each.
We put one down for Casper's food and the others go into the cupboard. Every morning, when Casper gets fed, he gets a new, clean dish from the cupboard and the dirty one goes into the dishwasher.

The main problem with plastic dishes is that they aren't completely impervious. We often think of plastic as waterproof and easily cleanable but it's not. Many plastics DO absorb food and water. They also get microscopic scratches in the surfaces. It's a great hiding place for dirt and a perfect breeding ground for bacteria.

Casper used to get feline acne on his chin but, as soon as we switched from plastic bowls to stainless, his acne went away pretty quickly.

I'd be willing to bet that, if you switched to metal or ceramic bowls, your cat's problem would go away, too. :)