Delilah
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have experience with CBD oil and cats

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet loves it. I used it for arthritis in my elderly CKD cat, and I don't know if it had a huge effect on pain. But it very noticeably made my other cat nicer to the one on CBD! I think it must have calmed her enough that she was no longer giving off anxious vibes (that I had never noticed) and the other cat reacted positively to that.

My vet says it works really well for anxiety for some animals, some not. Definitely get it from a good source-I know someone who does medical marijuana/cbd oil testing for purity, etc, and apparently it's really common for that stuff to degrade and be at a lower concentration than the label claims.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have used it for my dog and purchase from Innovet. I have not been able to tell if it has helped, but he has multiple medical conditions, but it has not hurt him nor has it caused any complications. Get organic if you can as the crop is very polluted generally with pesticides.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
The industry is a mess right now. I'm not sure if your vet can prescribe it. Most of the stuff at Petco is a scam. Ask a trusted budtender at your local dispensary what they would recommend.

Get organic if you can as the crop is very polluted generally with pesticides.
If the information is available in your state, Sun Grown is very inexpensive right now and infinitelty better for the environment than running a generator all night long to power all those lights in the greenhouses. The green rushers don't care. They just dump all those pesticides in the rivers.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The industry is a mess right now. I'm not sure if your vet can prescribe it. Most of the stuff at Petco is a scam. Ask a trusted budtender at your local dispensary what they would recommend.

:yeah:

The CBD industry is highly unregulated at the moment, especially when it comes to pet products. Here's a list of companies that have been warned by the FDA for illegally selling CBD products for pets:

Sure pet stores and other places sell products that claim to contain CBD but who knows for sure if they actually do or not. Lots of companies just want to cash in on the growing CBD product market and don't care if the product they sell does contain CBD or even works as claimed.

CBD supplements and the like are not prescription products. Most regular vets discourage pet owners from using CBD products. The AVMA has a whole set of guidelines for vets about CBD products. A holistic vet may be more open to pet owners using CBD products.

Some members here do use CBD bought from a dispensary and say it does work for their cats. Here are some threads:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My vet in LA said that they are not allowed to discuss it or prescribe it, but that they are able to say that studies/tests have shown that it is effective for animals with painful conditions.

The second response which LTS3 LTS3 posted was mine, so I will not restate it.

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At the moment, its not something I would consider, because its seen as "the in thing" in health that people are using for everything, and I dont think the industry behind it is regulated enough to prove that its safe for animals and it does what it is claimed to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mocha bee

Delilah
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for the info

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Forgot to add one caution, if anyone can get to the bottom of this. CBD products are possibly pathway interrupters which means that any other meds that the animal is taking might become more or less potent if CBD is added to the mix. It truly is unexplored territory in many ways and all pet owners have to make their own informed decision.