CBD oil experiences

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know there’s conflicting ideas about using CBD with cats, but I am thinking about it since nothing seems to really help my cat. For this who use it:
  • For what reason
  • What brand
  • Dose
  • Time to notice effects, if any
  • How long have you been using

Thank you in advance​

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Not going to take up too much of your time here because I used it for my dog, not the cats. I was never sure that it did anything about the arthritic pain that I was trying to relieve and don't use it anymore. Make sure about interactions if your cat takes any medications.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I give my senior kitty CBD oil. I have noticed she is more calm and less fearful. I am not sure if it's helping her arthritis but I do think it is.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use CBD on my cats. I use it for stress/anxiety as well as for arthritis in one of my senior kitties. I have found it very helpful. The key is finding a reputable brand. It is pricey but only a small amount is needed for cats.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use CBD for Lily, my 15-year-old very arthritic cat. I buy it at my local independent pet supply store here in Oregon, but it’s by a company in Colorado called Pet Releaf—even though my local community is awash in dispensaries and stores that sell all kinds of hemp and marijuana products.

I started Lily on Cosequin (a supplement for joint health) once a day and when that wasn’t enough, I upped it to twice a day. It helped, but she was still limping noticeably. So I decided to try CBD and went with Pet Releaf because I trust the staff in this store.

I’ve noticed that anything I give Lily takes a few weeks to work (unlike with my other two kitties), so I stuck with it for awhile. So does it work? Well, Lily stopped limping completely. That’s my only proof that it worked for her, but it seems pretty compelling. I’ve been giving it to her since last winter.

I started her initially on the CBD Hemp Oil 330 “for cats” (second link, below). The staff person at the store pointed out, though, that the CBD Hemp Oil 700 “for dogs” (first link) was exactly the same product...for less money. I just give 1/4 dropper twice a day instead of 1/2 a dropper twice a day. (It’s not the first time I’ve found a company packaging the same product differently for cats and charging more. In fact, the small print on the actual bottle has the dosage for both dogs and cats!)

CBD Hemp Oil 700 for Sale - 200 mg Active CBD - Pet Products
CBD Hemp Oil 330 for Sale - 100MG Active CBD Oil - Pet Releaf

Lily hates the taste so I have to slip it into her food even though it would be better, according to the company, to give it on an empty stomach for better absorption. (She freaked out when I squirted it in her mouth, but she’s also that kind of cat.) Still, I’ve seen a noticeable improvement.

I hope this info helps!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use CBD for arthritis and anxiety in my two cats. They each get one drop of oil which with the current product is 1.65mg of CBD. I currently use 4 corner cannabis but I have used vetCBD before. I switched because the THC seemed to have more of an impact on Link then desired.

It's been a little over a year (15 months) since I started the CBD. I do see a difference in both cats with it. I did start very low dose (their previous product was less potent) and slowly work up until I could see an impact. I should probably do slightly more but since Link is only 6 years old I don't want to build up a tolerance to it and not have another treatment option so low dose. Link was the driver to use it since he has a bad leg and early arthritis. Combined with the traditional treatment options just dont work for him (I saw no impact with the cosequin and other supplements, while prescription options really threw him off balance).

Rocket got some to see if it would help with spraying and attacking the boys. While it hasn't stopped those behaviors it did reduce their frequency and that is something. She's also very low dose because I dont want to greatly impact her, just mellow her a smidgen.

My vet is aware of the CBD usage. It does have to be taken into consideration when they have other things happen. I have to stop it if they are on antibiotics or pain medications for something different.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use it myself so the only thing I can really add is you may want to make sure you use a product that does not contain THC. From what I understand it's possible for pets to become addicted to THC just like it is for people who smoke pot.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I should have added that I used Innovet which is organic. They have a large website in which they discuss use and dosage for dogs and cats.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A friend with an elderly cat said that CannaPet caplets helped her cat with anxiety and some pain relief. I have an arthritic kitty who isn't responding to her gabapentin that much, and bought a bottle of the PetReleaf that was mentioned, because the sales person also uses it for his cat (anxiety). I can't start using it yet, though, because the kitty still has two weeks of clindamycin to go. Does anyone know if CBD can be used along with gabapentin?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use it myself so the only thing I can really add is you may want to make sure you use a product that does not contain THC. From what I understand it's possible for pets to become addicted to THC just like it is for people who smoke pot.
CBD oil is made from a hemp plant that is related to marijuana hemp, but is not the same thing. It does not contain THC.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
CBD oil can be made from marijuana too. The first one I tried was and did contain a small amount of THC.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use CBD for Lily, my 15-year-old very arthritic cat. I buy it at my local independent pet supply store here in Oregon, but it’s by a company in Colorado called Pet Releaf—even though my local community is awash in dispensaries and stores that sell all kinds of hemp and marijuana products.

I started Lily on Cosequin (a supplement for joint health) once a day and when that wasn’t enough, I upped it to twice a day. It helped, but she was still limping noticeably. So I decided to try CBD and went with Pet Releaf because I trust the staff in this store.

I’ve noticed that anything I give Lily takes a few weeks to work (unlike with my other two kitties), so I stuck with it for awhile. So does it work? Well, Lily stopped limping completely. That’s my only proof that it worked for her, but it seems pretty compelling. I’ve been giving it to her since last winter.

I started her initially on the CBD Hemp Oil 330 “for cats” (second link, below). The staff person at the store pointed out, though, that the CBD Hemp Oil 700 “for dogs” (first link) was exactly the same product...for less money. I just give 1/4 dropper twice a day instead of 1/2 a dropper twice a day. (It’s not the first time I’ve found a company packaging the same product differently for cats and charging more. In fact, the small print on the actual bottle has the dosage for both dogs and cats!)

CBD Hemp Oil 700 for Sale - 200 mg Active CBD - Pet Products
CBD Hemp Oil 330 for Sale - 100MG Active CBD Oil - Pet Releaf

Lily hates the taste so I have to slip it into her food even though it would be better, according to the company, to give it on an empty stomach for better absorption. (She freaked out when I squirted it in her mouth, but she’s also that kind of cat.) Still, I’ve seen a noticeable improvement.

I hope this info helps!
Pet Releaf also makes a 1700/500 product. Again, it's labeled for dogs (for big dogs), but it's essentially the same product as the others. It is 5 times as concentrated as the cat formula on a CBD basis. Your 1/4 dropper of the 700 (200mg CBD/oz) would be 1/10 a dropper of the 1700 (500mg CBD/oz.) You'll be able to use less but you'll also be adding less additional oil to her diet if that's an issue. At any rate, the taste will be less noticeable.

I have used CBD oil with Krista before with mixed success. But currently, she's taking mirtazapine. I won't chance the drug interactions since they are both metabolized by the same enzyme pathways in the liver. I say mixed success mostly because we don't get to give it a fair chance before she's taking some other medication whose interactions I don't want to chance.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use the oil from Charlotte's Web in olive oil. Anything with MCT makes my cat barf. Just FYI.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Your 1/4 dropper of the 700 (200mg CBD/oz) would be 1/10 a dropper of the 1700 (500mg CBD/oz.)
I thought that might be the case, but the 700 dropper is marked in .25 ml increments and I don’t know how I’d figure out 1/10 ml on the more concentrated product!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're just starting your kitty on CBD, be sure to only start with 1 or 2 drops to see if there is any kind of negative reaction. I started with 2 drops 2x a day.

Fiollent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I started using CBD oil for my cat because she was experiencing anxiety and had trouble with appetite. I chose a reputable brand that specializes in pet CBD products, and I followed their recommended dosage instructions based on her weight.

Fiollent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I started using CBD oil for my cat because she was experiencing anxiety and had trouble with appetite. I chose a reputable brand that specializes in pet CBD products, and I followed their recommended dosage instructions based on her weight.
It took a few days to notice a significant change in her behavior. She seemed calmer. I've been using CBD oil for her for about six months now, and the positive effects have been consistent. Of course, it's essential to consult with your veterinarian before starting any new treatment for your cat. They can provide guidance specific to your pet's needs. And if you want more insights on CBD experiences, you can also check out the Orlando Magazine.