Cattery Names

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I plan on breeding in the future as some as you may know.
I am having a hard time coming up with a cattery name that has not been taken.
The name will be both CFA and TICA.
I am not going to rush into anything and will go slowly.
Anyone have any ideas for a name?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Know what you mean Jacky - what ideas do you have in mind? You could use part of your first name or spell it kinda different. It doesn't have to be sphynx related as you might have other types of cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought of mews2much but everyone is saying to get something shorter.
I do not want to use any part of my name.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to come up with something 5-7 letters long - because its easier if you want to add on to the name on cats from other catteries.

Give me more ideas you've thought of.

Only one using the mews one I can come up with now (as I'm tired from the show)....MewsNews or (using your name sorta) - Jacmews

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked at baby name websites and looked up names with certain meanings, my first choice was Namir which means leopard obviously I didn't get it, the one I ended up with means beautiful.

I would register the name so that no one can take it while you are still learning about breeding. Mine was registered about a year before I got entires.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
I was advised to get a cattery name now.
I will not breed sphynx for at least 1-2 years.
There are some breeders that are going to help me.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Keep it short, your current selections are still too long. MewPurr is 8 characters. You only get 35 for a name and if your cattery name is too long, you can't tack it onto the end of a cat your bring into your program. You might even want to take your cattery name from a word you like or one of your cat's names. Meeko is not taken and it is really short, just 6 characters!!
It's short, easy to pronounce, and not likely to be confused with any other cattery out there.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Renee,
They are telling me to add the name on to my sphynxs names so I get known.
I will not do that unless I have permission from the breeders.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only get 25 letters/spaces here, which is why Malika and Ashia have short names since I wanted to include of Zayenah in their registered name (tacking on a suffix is not allowed, it has to forum part of the reg name here). I sure could have used an extra 10 letters

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jacky - you never have to "ask" permission to add your cattery name to a cat you have bought - where did you get that idea?

Once you buy a cat, its yours (unless its a matter of "co-ownership"). When you get registration papers, if the total name is not too long to add your cattery name - you add it when you register the cat! You can also pay later and add it.

We did that to Charlie - my cattery was added later after we were showing him. With Jack it was added from the start once we got his registration papers.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Martice,
Someone I know got blasted by a breeder for adding their cattery name to their cats names.
So they told me to ask permission.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so stupid Jacky - I've never heard of anyone complaining - its YOUR cat - if you have a cattery name, its your right to add it. I've been showing over 25 yrs and never heard of such a thing.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree.
It is not a sphynx person that it happened to.
As soon as I figure a cattery name out I will add it on.
There is something else I have not told anyone else about.
I have been asked to be 1 of 10 breeders for a new breed.
The kittens will stay at the breeders house.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the name have to be a prefix or can you choose that it be a suffix? Eg. my Pom is registered as Dachari's Halley-Barry (yuck, lol, we call him Eric), but throughout his pedigree paper, some of the dogs have prefixes, and some have suffixes.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Placement of farm/breeder name is restricted to first or last word in Canada (Pedigree Livestock Act covers that for any registered animal,, be it a cat or a sheep), Do keep it short and memorable since many registries limit characters, and include spaces in that limitation. CHeck you choice for alternate (read weird( spellings so there is no duplication.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the name have to be a prefix or can you choose that it be a suffix? Eg. my Pom is registered as Dachari's Halley-Barry (yuck, lol, we call him Eric), but throughout his pedigree paper, some of the dogs have prefixes, and some have suffixes.
Generally it's a prefix, my German girls sire that cattery uses a suffix instead. Actually the first time I've seen it in cats

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You also want to check you can get it, or it plus 'cats' for example, as an Internet domain.