Cats Weight.

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
okay my cat is 10.2 lbs and only 1 years old, he recently turned 1 in april. of course he is not finished growing, at all.. he is completely healthy according to the vet but he's just so big. does anyone know what he might have in his bloodline? he doesn't look fat at all but he is heavyyy for his age. my oldest cat who is 3 didn't even weigh that much at his age.. shes only about 9 lbs. I don't know where this thread belongs so it would be nice if a moderator or someone would kindly move it for me if it does not belong here. ever since the site changed ive been so confused.. but i'd just like some help :) thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know he is a DSH broken macheral tabby. But I'd like to know what else he has because of his weight. The first two photos are photos of him today. The other with his face in it us few months ago. He has a wide nose, well above his nose? Its wide. He has pointy ears since he was born you can't really see in the photos though.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Just like with people, weight alone is not synonymous with body condition. Cats can be longer or shorter from nose to tail, or have longer or shorter legs, that would impact their weight. Build also has something to do with weight, (think svelte Siamese vs cobby Persian), an average-sized Siamese, for example, would be lighter than an average-sized Persian, as the Persian has a wider rib cage and chest, as well as heavier boning. The best way to evaluate a cat's body condition is the "rib feel test". Meaning, that you should be able to feel your cat's ribs through a layer of muscle and fat, but not see them. From your pictures, your cat looks like he is at a fine weight. He is very handsome, I love those lynx tips on his ears!

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! He is at a fine weight just never had a cat this young feel so heavy. I forgot to upload this from earlier yes I love his ears too!

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! He is at a fine weight just never had a cat this young feel so heavy. I forgot to upload this from earlier yes I love his ears too!
Look at that spotty tummy! Your kitty is so cute! :cutecat:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello nathaliewhite, my boy is 15 months old and he is also a Mackerel Tabby and he weighs 12.5lbs.
He is lanky kitty.

Yea, abyeb abyeb gave some very good pointers there.

You kitty is very handsome :lovecat::lovecat4:

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hehe maybe our kitties were just born on the big side too ;)

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, all he does is eat eat and eat. I've always been afraid to get him neutered because of it, our other cat gained a lot of weight after getting spayed. I can't feed him less because we have 4 cats and every time we put food on the bowl there's none left over for the others. I don't want him to get obese or get diabetes or anything if we spay him. He's always been chubby, never lost his baby stomach. What should I do about the neuter situation? He never has and never will step outside a day in his life because I fear my cats will get sick or hurt. Spaying and neutering keeps your cats safer from diseases but what's the point if they don't go out at all? He was born outside, we brang him in when he was a few hours old and raised him since. :) but he could get testicular cancer (I think that's what its called?) I want to keep him safe from that. What do I do?!??

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Also, all he does is eat eat and eat. I've always been afraid to get him neutered because of it, our other cat gained a lot of weight after getting spayed......................
This is not true. A neutered cat will not put on weight. They only put on weight is because they lack exercises. And if they are on dry food, that makes them put on weight.

Getting your cat neutered is one of the best thing you can do for him. Whether he's an outdoor or indoor cat. Neutering him will help prevent some male medical issues.

Here are two articles for you to read :-

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?

Please have your kitty neutered for his health sake :wink:

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, he will be neutered soon. He definitely does NOT lack exercise.. All he does is run around all day he's the only one who plays with anything we buy and runs like a maniac:-) and he is on dry food. Only wet food once a day. I can't change that either because my female cat is skinny and will not gain weight (maybe because her breed?) She's Siamese, well, color point shorthair. She's slim and is just like a feather. She weighs 6 or 7 lbs and also 1 yrs old. If we feed more wet she'll stop eating dry completely and she needs it lol. She doesn't have any parasites or anything, she's just naturally skinny or doesn't eat enough and she's picks and will only eat dry food that's fresh out the bag if it passes an hour she WONT eat it and same with water. Fresh cold water only

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She's picky* sorry if im a bother!
Forget to add this just now in my reply, your kitty will slow down o his eating as he grows older. Best way is to watch his calories intake. He should be having around 200 -250 calories a day as he is an indoor cat.

Wet of is full of proteins and dry food is full of carbohydrates. If she's ok with wet, why not just give her wet instead?

Good that he's running around and that's a good form of exercise. Yes, make sure he gets fresh water all the time :wink: