Cats Voice Has Changed

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, so this thread is about Hank, our recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure kitty. I'm not concerned too much but wanted to know if this has happened to others.

After we brought him home from a very lengthy and invasive vet visit, (more than one actually), he stopped meowing for about a week. And we totally expected this, as he was very sick. Jump forward about a week after initial visit and the medication is working, he's not as lethargic, he's wanting attention and no longer hiding from the world he's eating, drinking, using litter, all great things. He even started to vocalize again, but his voice is changed, and a month later, it's still this strange honk like croak. Hank has different meows depending on what he wants to tell us, and some of them are still the same, but this one, is just weird.

The meow that is different was his loudest meow, the excited, demanding meow. So I'm wondering, what could change it, considering his others are the same sounds. We have to give him meds three times a day, I hope I'm not irritating his throat. We know there is nothing wrong physically, we've had so many x-rays and ultrasounds. So is it possible that a cat simply adopts a new meow? When we first heard him meowing (croaking honk), as he was recovering, we would give him so much attention and praise, A: because we wanted to encourage engaging behavior and B: because it was the funniest and cutest sound that ever came out of him. I wonder if this is just going to be his new "demanding" meow because it works. Any thoughts???

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You could possibly be irritating his throat, --the only way to know would be if the sound changes or if he tells you, which it appears he's fine with the meds plus it's a month later, so hopefully not.

Assuming he was intubated, my personal opinion is that, as happens so many times, they weren't careful when they put the tube down his throat.

This makes me so frustrated because unless a client tells the vet, they don't know, and then it happens over and over and the owners lose some of the most darling sounds for no good reason.

Some people say this is not a big deal, however if it's enough to make a cat hoarse and lose its voice, it would certainly seem to me that it is making the cats throat sore, for whatever length of time.

And the main thing? It's causing pain that doesn't have to happen!!

Ok, there's my soapbox and two cents...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, as far as I know, he needed to be sedated but he was not anesthetized so no intubation. So I can't blame it on that.
And although he has an extensive medication schedule, I have started doing my own compounding so he is taking his meds in one or two capsules three times a day, instead of up to six pieces of halved or quartered tablets three times a day. I also dip the capsules in water to make them slippery, then I syringe a few drops of water into his mouth to encourage a couple of swallows to make sure it goes down easily. Oh and I don't force the water at the back of the mouth, I simply put the syringe (his mouth is usually closed) in the gap behind the canine area, so it makes him lick and swallow. Sometimes it drips out but it still gets him to lick his lips which then causes a swallow.
If it is me that is causing the hoarseness, is there some sort of cat throat lozenge? Because I obviously can't stop giving him his meds.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just can't imagine you being the cause, your method/process sounds so benign.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You don't suppose its because he doesn't have enough oomph to push enough air for his loudest meow?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK so, trauma to the neck could be a cause, that much I knew. But do you think some trauma could have happened when they had to take blood from him? My vet needed to take blood from multiple areas including a vein in the neck. He does not appear to be in pain, and has no swelling that I can see, when we pet him he allows (and loves) that we stroke his neck. But maybe the needle irritated one of the muscles??? I would think that after a month, it would have healed it that is the case.
Anyway, as I said I'm really not too concerned, more curious and confused. Other than the change in one of his many meows, he's doing great considering the advanced congestive heart failure diagnosis.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't suppose its because he doesn't have enough oomph to push enough air for his loudest meow?
Maybe....he did have to have fluid removed by big needles thru his sides, and his lungs were in really rough shape, before because of the fluid and after too. The vet did say we had to keep an eye on him because of the trauma of having so much fluid removed. There is no threat of collapse or anything anymore and his breathing is good, but I guess there might be some weakness there now that won't ever go away, or will take a long time to heal.