Cats - The Next Generation

jessica smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted two kittens, siblings, 14 years ago and they are perfectly raised and I have zero complaints and the two are true cuddle bugs and the female adores the male and he tolerates being groomed and snuggled relentlessly by her. While it was some work at fist, for years I'm always amazed at their manners, how considerate they are, and how they actually listen to you and do what you ask them which I'm told is not very catlike.

They are starting to get older though, and I was starting to think about the next generation. I think cats learn from each other even more so than from humans, and my two I think still have the energy to be the mom and dad to two new kittens. So we are in no rush but were floating the idea of adopting two 8-10 week old kittens, again preferably siblings that are bonded, and slowly introduce them to our two senior cats while they are still young enough to play with and tolerate the kittens and can show them the ropes and hopefully rub off on them. We have a decent size house, and already have a pull-out screen door installed on one of the hallways for when we want to section off the cats (say if workers are coming), so that can be used to separate the kittens from the cats for introduction purposes.

Has anyone done this, and did it work out? Or is four cats at one time asking a lot, and ultimately perhaps annoying to the older cats and we should let them be in peace by themselves without young intruders stressing them out on their turf?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Every cat is different and will react differently. They could drive each other crazy or could be snuggling together for naps.

What about a foster situation? That way if things don't work, you could either stop at that point or try again.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I just also wanted to chime in that the advice has changed and kittens should stay with mom until 12 weeks, when possible.

I introduced a 4 month kitten to my 14 year old cat. It went smoothly but was a long process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessica smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I just also wanted to chime in that the advice has changed and kittens should stay with mom until 12 weeks, when possible.
If mama is feral and at a shelter though, wouldn't rehoming them at 8-10 weeks allow them to be influenced more by our home and "role model" cats for the prime development period?

That was kind of the idea of overlap, is it took some work to get our cats so well behaved and wanted that culture to rub off on the next generation, and my understanding is that kittens tend to learn the most when they are young.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From my understanding not all cats are weaned before 12-15 weeks. 12 weeks is also the European standard. The extra time allows for better physical and mental growth. Places were finding that cats who are adopted out later have less anxiety and other behavioural issues.

If you're adopting at 8 weeks into a home with two existing cats, then you end up with the kittens being in quarentine for the key socialization period and then doing stressful introductions during the rest of that key period.

Cats are still settling in to their personalities until 2 years old. They'll still learn from your cats. Mine did and we're 4 and 5 months respectively.