Cats terrified of the outdoors

Tilly.ct

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted two cats a year ago 1 male 8 months old and one female 2 years old they were semi feral at the time and after around 3 months they were comfortable with us and tame. They were both intended as outdoor/indoor cats however they are terrified of going outside. Last November I would leave the door open for them to explore and they would sit by the door but never go out. My male cat did take a few steps out the door but after hearing dogs bark he took of and was missing for a day and night until we found him terrified under a pile of wood. We were back to step one with taming him. now 8 months on we wanted to try again with getting them both outside. I put marbles my male cat on a harness and sot outside with him which I can do for a short amount of time then he runs back to the door. The female hates the harness so I can't do this with her. Can anyone suggest anyway to help get them outside without them disappearing again. They seem so scared that I'm worried they will never go out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tilly.ct

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why do you want them to go out? Indoor cats have a longer lifespan, on average. They're safer inside.
It's natural and I don't want to take that away from them. Cats like to explore and we live in the middle of nowhere with a huge garden and near no roads so it's very safe, if they were indoor cats we wouldn't be able to open the windows and doors in the summer when it's very hot and also I would just love to be able to spend time outside with them.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You shorten a cat's life if they are free to roam. Not to mention what cats tend to do to small wildlife.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If they don't want to, though, maybe it's not right for them. Many cats live long, happy lives indoors. There's nothing wrong with that.

Do you not have screens on your windows? I know it's common in the US, but not as much elsewhere.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anecdote: a few years ago, I adopted a cat who had been stray (not feral). She never wanted to go outside again, even though I gave her the option. She knew what was out there!

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find harness training was best with my cats. It takes time and patience for them to get used to it though. An outdoor enclosure, as suggested above, is also a good idea, though you will still need to slowly acclimate them to being outdoors before you can lock them in there.

If you just want to get them used to being outdoors and free roam on their own, regardless of where you live, I think you need to ask yourself the following questions:

Are you prepared for them to possibly disappear suddenly and never return, for whatever reason?
Are you prepared for vet bills that may arise from injury or poisoning?
Are you able to deal with possible gory wounds?

I like my cats to have some outdoor time each day, purely because they, as individuals, love it so much. I initially let one free roam, as I also live in a secluded area, however he got bitten by a snake. Antivenin isn't cheap, I was lucky to see it happen so I could react in time and he survived, and it was a nasty scare. I had an outdoor only cat at one point too (he used to spray indoors). One night I was woken at 2am to an absolutely horrible scream, and came out to find him bleeding profusely from the neck after a fox had attacked him. I managed to stop the bleeding and get him treated in time to save him, but again, nasty scare, expensive and not everyone can deal with blood and open wounds. After these experiences I decided I didn't want to risk it and found another way my cats could enjoy the outdoors safely.

Some people have great success with outdoor/indoor cats and they live long lives. Not saying these things will happen to your cats, just wanted to make sure you are aware of the risks involved. No judgement if you continue with your decision either, and best of luck!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted two cats a year ago 1 male 8 months old and one female 2 years old they were semi feral at the time and after around 3 months they were comfortable with us and tame. They were both intended as outdoor/indoor cats however they are terrified of going outside. Last November I would leave the door open for them to explore and they would sit by the door but never go out. My male cat did take a few steps out the door but after hearing dogs bark he took of and was missing for a day and night until we found him terrified under a pile of wood. We were back to step one with taming him. now 8 months on we wanted to try again with getting them both outside. I put marbles my male cat on a harness and sot outside with him which I can do for a short amount of time then he runs back to the door. The female hates the harness so I can't do this with her. Can anyone suggest anyway to help get them outside without them disappearing again. They seem so scared that I'm worried they will never go out.
I took in an adult stray. She was outside for 2 years. She is terrified of the out doors. Glad she is because she does not defend herself at all with my other cats. I don't think I could ever change her and don't want to

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cars aren't the only things that kill and injure cats. If you are in the US coyotes are everywhere, even in the big cities. So are foxes. The UK has foxes everywhere. Foxes can kill an adult cat in it's prime. So can rat poison, hawks, owls, stray dogs that people tend to dump in the country who are starving, snakes, oh, and people. Apparently, a lot of people enjoy going hunting to shoot cats and leave them to die where they land.

If you must let them out use breakaway collars. They almost always, but not always, break lose if the cat slips and the collar is caught on a branch. With a non-breakaway collar the cat will strangle.

Cats get in fights with other cats and catch fatal and untreatbale illnesses FIV and others from deep bites. They also develop infections which can cost a great deal to have cured, if you notice in time.

Blithbury23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
TCS has a very helpful and informative Article about a safe solution for bringing the outside indoors for your cat:
Cat Enclosures – TheCatSite Articles

I also thought this thread on Do You Have An Indoor or Outdoor Cat and Why? might be applicable:
Do You Have An Indoor Or Outdoor Cat, And Why?
We live in the suburbs and I've had indoor/outdoor cats and all have lived to 20+ I think I'd do what you are already doing offering them the option of going outside. I think the harness was a good idea. Perhaps you on one end of the harness sitting fairly near the backdoor and giving him words of comfort and praise etc with him on the other end in a cardboard box (private place of 'safety') within sight of the backdoor but not able to run back in. Once he gets used to that, over weeks gradually move the box a little bit further away from the door and then progress to loosening the leash so that he has the option to go back in or sit in the box. Leave the girl inside at the door watching the proceedings. She may creep out once she knows it's safe while you are there.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do insist they go out, be sure to keep a thousand or so in the bank account for emergency vetting. It would break your heart to not be able to pay for repairs and have to PTS.