Cats Talking To Each Other

lanerich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone else have cats that seem to vocally "talk" to each other? I read online that cats only use meowing/vocal communication towards humans and that they communicate with each other through body language. I have not found that to be the case with my two cats.

We have a male orange tabby that is slightly over 1 year old and a male grey/white tabby that is just under 1 year old. They love to chase/stalk/wrestle/groom each other and get along well overall.

I noticed that after they eat in the evening one of the cats will start doing a special loud meow and run around almost like he is skipping. The other cat seems to recognize that this means playtime has started and will start chasing him. Then the chaser will start meowing like "hey come and get me" and they take turns back and forth. It is fun to watch :) Sometimes they also meow really loud if one is upstairs and the other is downstairs and they are trying to find each other.

Anyone else have cats like this?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two don't meow to each other, but they do chirp to each other. Mingo, the black cat in my avatar, is very vocal at all times, and he will chirp at Lily to get her to play. He can be very rough sometimes, and she does cry when he hurts her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lanerich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess maybe I just have weird cats :) My older cat will chirp when he sees birds out the window. The younger cat is very vocal, he loves to meow when he sees you and he has a habit of announcing every move he makes with a sort of "mmmbrrrp" type noise. Not really a meow but not a growl or chirp either. It's a good thing he's inside because he wouldn't get very far with stalking prey lol.

katlady-18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've seen that in cats too (my own used to do it), which is why I don't believe all these articles and supposed experts who say cats only meow to communicate with humans. :think: They do meow or chirp to each other.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Zuzu was a kitten she would go to the litterbox and start meowing. Her sisters would come running to her. Only then would she get into the litterbox to use it. It was very funny - like she needed moral support to get in there. To this day (7 years later) she still meows to her mom and one of our other cats, Keith, who she is strongly bonded with. I have read that cats only meow to humans, but apparently no one told Zuzu!