Cat's refusing all wet food! What should I do?

karen dsupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi my cat loving friends:

I'm back to my two cats not eating what they've been eating for months.  One day they just decided, "We don't want this anymore".  I went back and tried to give them ALL the purchased food I bought and they wouldn't eat, and they won't eat ANY.  

They are down to eating grain free dry food now because they won't touch ANY wet.  Should I be concerned?  My husband tells me that they are spoiled and I need to stop stressing!!!!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What wet foods were they eating? What other brands of wet food have you tried? I feed a huge variety of foods because my cats get bored very easily, and if you have kibble around they're going to protest wet food for that. 

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
just make sure you don't let them go more than 2 days without food or you'll have other issues to deal with!

I only feed dry food as a treat because one of my cats won't eat her normal food, she's holds out for the kibble! It's seriously like kitty crack. I found some links that might help

http://vitalanimal.com/back-away-from-the-kibble

http://consciouscat.net/2011/07/25/how-to-your-cat-off-dry-food

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/transit...-to-a-new-type-of-food-canned-raw-or-homemade

http://catcentric.org/nutrition-and-food/no-kibble

Good luck!!!

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long did you wait before you gave in and put down dry? Sounds like they have you wrapped around their little paws, lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karen dsupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They haven't stopped eating.  They take a few bites of wet food and then won't touch it again all day.  I have tried, every grain free cat food on Chewy.com  I have called for refunds so much because they won't eat any of it.  Chewy is going to hate me.  The last food they nibbled on was Sheba perfect portion Savory Chicken.  That was a big hit for months, now they act like they never liked it.  What is up with that?

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you been rotating wet foods or just feeding the same flavor/brand? I know cats will get picky and go on strikes if they get stuck with the same thing over and over. 

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you leaving the wet out all day?
If they are eating some and then stop, it sounds like they are playing you. And it worked because they got the dry food they wanted.
Put down wet for 20 minutes and then take it up, cover it and put it in the fridge. Then put it back down later.
And no more dry!

karen dsupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have rotated the wet foods.  I think that Minka has the answer.  Yes, I put the wet food out all day for them to eat it and they eat a little here and there, then they nibble on the dry.  I'm so afraid that I will starve them, that I give them both.  I'm going to put away the dry and only use the wet food for the first 20 minutes and then give it to them later.  I will  let you know how it works out.  Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely don't leave it out, they won't eat it once it starts drying out and it's also going to start growing yucky things [emoji]128534[/emoji]
Be strong! You can do it! Lol

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love wet food (Fancy Feast), but it must be from an unopened can. They will not eat it later from the fridge in an opened can. And they will not eat it if it is left in the bowl for any length of time. Their kibble stays out all day & they nibble all day & night on that.

karen dsupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you MinKa:

I needed a strong person to let me know how to do this, not just people around me telling me that my cats are spoiled.  I know that, that's because I love them so much.

I am starting tomorrow with this new meal plan, and I even told my husband to not interfere  with snacks while I'm working and throw my whole idea  out of whack!!!!!!!

karen dsupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I have done what I said I would, I took away the dry food and they are eating the wet Sheba now.  I also gave Charles a tsp of scrambled eggs to try.  At first he just sniffed it, and then finally started eating it and he seemed to actually like it.  That was just for my curiosity!!!  I won't be feeding them eggs on a regular basis, I was cooking and thought I'd try to see if Charles would eat it.  Sasha didn't even give a try.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hooray! I'm so happy for your success! [emoji]128513[/emoji]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

karen dsupin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are doing very well.  No more free feeding of dry food and they eat all their wet food now.  It's a lot like parenting

Thank you again Minka