Cats placenta attached to them

Frank81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had her kittens 2 1-/2 days ago. Just notice 3 of them where stuck together. Close examination shown their were still attached to the placenta .. I manger to separate 2 of them from the placenta.. the other , the placenta had shrink so close to his body The I couldn’t cut it at the umbilical cord. What should I do?
Please help!!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The placenta must be detached. Get small, sharp, scissors, that has been dipped in boiling water, and slip it between the kitten and the placenta, and cut the little one loose, even if you have to cut into part of the placenta, just be careful to not cut the kitten. You can always cut away that part of the placenta later if it is too big. If you feel you can't do it, the kitten must be taken to a vet to have them separate the placenta from the kitten. It is lucky in a way that the mother didn't try to chew the cord loose from that kitten, the kittens often get a limb chewed off or hurt badly when that happens. I take it the mother got too exhausted to help get the kittens free, Are they nursing alright? you might make sure they are eating and that mama is caring for them. I pray someone else can help you with more experience in these matters. I hope StefanZ StefanZ can help....Thank you so much for trying!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is there enough room to cut the placenta? Otherwise, take the kitten to the vet and let them do it. It may be safer. If you cut wrong, the kitten can bleed to death. Keep us posted!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was hoping since it has been three days ago, the placenta has dried up some. If it DOES start bleeding you would have to 'crush' the end of the cord/placenta with your fingers to stop the bleeding and mimic the crushing of mama's teeth. Or use a needle-nose pliers.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat had her kittens 2 1-/2 days ago. Just notice 3 of them where stuck together. Close examination shown their were still attached to the placenta .. I manger to separate 2 of them from the placenta.. the other , the placenta had shrink so close to his body The I couldn’t cut it at the umbilical cord. What should I do?
Please help!!!
Wait, so these 3 kittens are now separated from each other? 2 are free and the third is free too but has placenta on him? Is so, its no longer the same desperate hurry as before...
Yet, the placenta should off. If you can do it without taking any risks, good. If not, let a vet help you.

Ps. I didnt not got the notification di and bob di and bob send. I usually get it, but not here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Frank81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wait, so these 3 kittens are now separated from each other? 2 are free and the third is free too but has placenta on him? Is so, its no longer the same desperate hurry as before...
Yet, the placenta should off. If you can do it without taking any risks, good. If not, let a vet help you.

Ps. I didnt not got the notification di and bob di and bob send. I usually get it, but not here.
she had 4 kittens, 3 were still attached to the placenta. Yesterday I managed to separate the last one by carefully cutting off the umbilical cord. They seem to be doing fine.. other then the third one has inflamed paw..it looks swallowed and red. Other then that it acts normal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Frank81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The placenta must be detached. Get small, sharp, scissors, that has been dipped in boiling water, and slip it between the kitten and the placenta, and cut the little one loose, even if you have to cut into part of the placenta, just be careful to not cut the kitten. You can always cut away that part of the placenta later if it is too big. If you feel you can't do it, the kitten must be taken to a vet to have them separate the placenta from the kitten. It is lucky in a way that the mother didn't try to chew the cord loose from that kitten, the kittens often get a limb chewed off or hurt badly when that happens. I take it the mother got too exhausted to help get the kittens free, Are they nursing alright? you might make sure they are eating and that mama is caring for them. I pray someone else can help you with more experience in these matters. I hope StefanZ StefanZ can help....Thank you so much for trying!
thanks for replying! I manage to cut them all lose. They seem to be doing ok. They fed and do the little baby thing. The ome I referred to has its paw swollen and red a little. I’m keeping an eye on all.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you post a picture of the kitten’s paw that is swollen and red? He may need an antibiotic.

Mom may have accidentally bitten him during the birthing and chewing of cords process, in which case he sounds infected. If the infection spreads, he may feel too sick to eat, and waste away.

Frank81 Frank81