Cats not getting along

Vaughkyl000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my girl cat Kiara recently got a pretty bad injury and had to be quarantined in an area so it wouldn’t get infected. It’s been about 2-3 weeks and her wound is finally healed, so I am introducing her to her brothers and her parents again, but the mom won’t stop hissing at her. This is day two of introducing while being monitored of course, but they won’t stop. The mom keeps hissing and growling, and the 2 brothers and the dad are up her butt sniffing it 24/7 her brother stitch especially. Do y’all have any suggestions??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Glad to hear Kiara's wound has healed and she is ready to get back with all of her 'family'!! I don't know what techniques you are using for introductions, but if you are not keeping her separated from them and starting with scent swapping, and after that having them eat on each side of a barrier that they can see each other through but not touch, I would use those initial steps before putting them together in the same space, even if you are supervising. She has been away from them long enough now that it is almost like having a new cat in the house, although I suspect it won't take as long to get them back to 'normal' as it would an actual new cat.

How is she reacting to everyone? See this TCS article for tips on how to proceed.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vaughkyl000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did all of those steps, I even brought Greta(her mom) in several times to check on her while she had been in “quarantine” an she was completely fine with her and all lovey dovey. This past week she hasn’t seen any of them because her wound had opened back up In a tiny area, and I wanted it to be completely closed first. It’s been this past week that Greta hasn’t seen her, and now she seems to “hate” her. I put her in her area to sleep for a little bit and then brought her back out, and Greta didn’t go near her but she didn’t hiss or growl either. Now the boys were all super friendly with her and weren’t up her butt anymore which is really good!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since she has been isolated, her "she smells like 'us' " scent is different. You are almost certainly dealing with some non-recognition aggression, although it does seem to be fairly mild. As long as Greta isn't attacking, you're in pretty good shape. Give this article a try:

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats – Cat Articles

Time is almost certainly going to fix this!