Cat's meow sounds different

ginjaninja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About a week ago, my one year old cat Penny's meow suddenly started to sound different. It's more raspy; kind of sounds like she smokes a pack a day. She is healthy except for the occasional eye boogers, but she's always gotten those. Her behavior hasn't changed at all regarding eating, using the litter box, etc. The only thing that's changed in her environment is the addition of wheatgrass I bought at Petco and she's just nibbled at it here and there. She had an upper respitory infection when I first adopted her and that didn't affect her meow at all. Should I be concerned? What should I do?

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my late cat mouse developed an entirely different meow suddenly one day when she was about 10 years old - she sounded almost like a parrot.  there was nothing else wrong, and she continued to meow that was for years.  but a trip to the vet could allay your concerns and address any possible issues.

achristine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Chooch had an upper respiratory infection and every now and then his meow gets a little raspy and then it goes back to normal. This could be for months. I really don't think you have anything to be worried about. Much love to you and your baby.