Cats have broken eggs all over floor... !!

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey all

I've just got home from work to find two smashed duck eggs (large) on the kitchen floor, one lying on the hob and a fourth still in the box lid on the counter. Egg white and yolk everywhere....

One of my idiots likes to shred paper and cardboard and there is a hole in the corner of the egg box lid so I guess she was pulling it and overbalanced it or something. Stupidly didn't occur to me she might go for the box and without thinking I left it out on the counter.

Having cleaned it all up, I've then just found half a piece of shell - like half an egg! - on the carpet in my bedroom, so one of the three cats obviously carried it there.

They all currently seem perfectly fine (actually slightly more energetic than usual..) but I know that cats should not eat raw egg! As it is I'm not sure if or how much they have ingested. Presumably some, if they were carting the shell about.

Other than keep an eye on them should I do anything?

Thanks!!

PS sorry, may have put this in the wrong forum section - please move if so!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Not sure how much they would have eaten, but raw egg yolk is not an issue, normally. However, I am not sure about what the impact is with eggs left unrefrigerated, due to potential bacteria growth. Aside from that, it's the raw egg whites that are not supposed to be good for cats. There is a chemical present in egg whites, known as avidin, that can interfere with the absorption of Biotin, an essential B Vitamin that your cats need to maintain healthy cells. But, they would need to eat a lot of egg whites for the avidin thing to become a serious problem.

So, all in all, just watch over them. A large amount consumed could mimic food poisoning but on much lesser amounts you might see them experience minor digestive distress at worst. Tbh, it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw eggs are fine for cats. Sure, too much raw whites can cause vitamin absorption issues, but that's only a concern if it's fed often. So they'll be fine. If they ate too much there might be some upset tummies, but it doesn't sound like they did.

Poor you though! Cleaning up raw eggs is gross. I've heard that if you sprinkle salt on it, it'll solidify and be able to be swept up instead of being all gooey.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, as others said, raw egg is perfectly fine - and highly nurtitous and healthy! Your cats got lucky. :)

I put several raw egg yolks into my homemade cat food. It's also great for hairballs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh thanks guys. Ha you'd think we'd know better than to Google things by now!!!

They all seem to be fine. Other than, of course, the odd possible food allergies (or something) which I've posted about in the health forum...

Cheers though

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Cats are magic ! How they do things is a mystery ... I find stuff unexpectedly moved to unusual places. Drawers opened. Slippers missing. Butter neatly unwrapped & sampled.
Ghosts ? Spirits ? Nope ... CATS ! 😼:winkcat:

lerrpurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, there's no risk of getting infected with salmonella when consuming raw eggs? That was my initial thought as I was reading the post

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
So, there's no risk of getting infected with salmonella when consuming raw eggs? That was my initial thought as I was reading the post
Cats can handle bacteria that humans can’t. My cats eat a strictly raw poultry diet. They can’t cook their meat in the wild. And if they did, they would lose essential nutrients like taurine and wouldn’t survive. They were made for this. :)