Cats grieving

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was thinking this myself. About the vomiting. Perhaps there is something else going on there. Have you determined which one is doing that, and when? There could be an underlying issue there, maybe it's even regurgitation, or going too long without food. I actually have a few little treats under my pillow that I give my guys when I wake up to roll over at night. Keeps the morning clear froth throw-ups at bay. And I, also, feed them something right before bedtime. Mine get three scheduled meals per day, plus the right before bedtime healthy treats (freeze dried meats)
Its mostly hair balls and not every day. Sometimes there are food voms but I know right away who did it because they aren't acting right.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For hairballs, have you tried giving them something like dried egg yolks, or even just plain old egg yolks? Those help quite a lot with getting the fur down and out the digestive tract so it doesn't end up coming out the wrong end. I also use Vet's Best Hairball Relief Digestive Aid. That actually works very well for my one cat who willing eats it every day. That's the key to any of these things, using them regularly.

The cat who vomits because he/she isn't acting right, is that on a regular basis or once in a blue moon? If pretty regular, perhaps it's the food? Have you tried a change in foods or had them checked at the Vet?

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never tried the egg yolk. I have a paste that give whoever needs it. For the one who throws up the little hair balls, it is regular if I am late with the flea topical medicine. He is allergic to fleas so just 1 bite and he is a mess. Licking for days.

Its been a week. 1 long hair, who gets large snarls if I don't her daily..has like 5 of them. I have pet clippers but I am scared lol. Same cat has been scratching at 1 ear. I couldn't really see anything in there until I tried to clean them. Pretty dirty, she is doing better but I need to clean 1 more time...she will love that

My diabetic cat threw up all that he ate this morning after his shot. I hate that. He ate too fast.

Their faces and butts are cleaner, they are learning...I am too.

1 of the 5 had really watery poo this week, I was worried but a little probiotic and some boiled chicken and he is better.

I was feeling like a horrible cat owner and you guys made me feel better. Thank you so much for all of the great advice.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, flea allergies can really make them itch. So the dried egg yolk simply helps break up the fat that kind of holds the hairball together, which then allows it to travel better down the digestive tract and out the back end, as nature intended. Doesn't even have to be dried egg yolk, can be raw egg yolk (no whites), but many cats don't like that, and eating an entire egg yolk at once can be a LOT for a cat. You can also hard boil an egg and break up the yolk and split it amongst the cats. Too much of a good thing though can cause diarrhea. I buy it already dried and follow the instructions on the package.

I know what you mean about the mats. One of mine has semi long hair and I am constantly trying to work the mats off of him. If I can catch them early enough, I can comb them out with one yank and he's pretty much none the wise. I just hold onto his skin right at the mat and then put the comb right next to my finger then out it comes. But if they get to be any larger than a pea, that won't work. So I try to comb the areas where he mats up (usually his chest) every night while he's on my lap. I find it easier to comb him than brush him. BUT, I did see several videos online about using olive oil to remove mats. People swear by it. I just haven't tried it because hubby is OCD and I'm afraid he will freak out about the possibility of oil getting on stuff.

I'm glad the cats are learning to clean themselves! That's got to be a timesaver! Are you able to feed them any later yet?

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am going to try the boiled egg and the olive oil for the mats. She is mad at me right now, I just did a second treatment of ear medicine and she is beyond pissed lol

They are eating now at 430a, so 15 mins later. We will get there. Lol. The best part of that is 3 come back to bed with me and cuddle. I love it.

They are healing and adjusting. I am going to make a catio for them so they can go outside. I am buying them some window purches for Xmas and some beds. They have stocking and I wrap the gifts. Lol my dad used to open them. Lol. I love them. What can I say.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
how to cope while helping them cope.
Hello - you've gotten some great advice but although I looked through most of the replies, I didn't see that anyone mentioned cat music (sorry if I missed it).
There is RelaxMyCat, MusicForCats, and other sources such as spotify and youtube. Classical Harp music seems to be very helpful for cats but any of these should be useful for all your sweethearts.

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello - you've gotten some great advice but although I looked through most of the replies, I didn't see that anyone mentioned cat music (sorry if I missed it).
There is RelaxMyCat, MusicForCats, and other sources such as spotify and youtube. Classical Harp music seems to be very helpful for cats but any of these should be useful for all your sweethearts.
Thank you! They like the TV on for sure. The first few days I didn't leave it on and they never slept. Now I leave it on everyday and they are better. I will try cat music. Dad used to play the radio so they might miss it

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Me and Lily. She did this with dad only. Makes me happy that she loves me too. This is the one that cries down the hall, even when he was alive to get his attention. 😻 I think we are going to be okay. Lol

Attachments