Cats fighting with each other

midnightbride

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I already had an 8 year old Abyssinian male and just got a male Abyssinian kitten. For the first few weeks they were fine. Now the kitten is 5 months old and there is constant fighting and screaming. It is the kitten who is the aggressor and will not leave the other cat alone. He even bothers him while he's in the litter box!! I probably should not have gotten another male, but the breeder said it didn't matter. Now what do I do? I keep breaking up the fights, afraid one will get hurt. They end up rolling around on the floor biting each other, but so far no injuries. The older cat is the one who screams. Could they be just play fighting? I only have a one bedroom apartment and to separate them is not doable. The kitten refuses to be locked up and practically breaks the door down! HELP.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually two males will get along fine. Your older one is neutered?If they aren't hurting each other then they should be ok. Kittens are little devils they will bother the older cats to play. And the older cats will give a howl if they want to be left alone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

midnightbride

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, the older one is neutered and the little guy will be neutered in about a month. I have had the cat fighting problem before with other cats. The older guy did it with my other cat who passed away several months ago but not this bad!

When I see them biting each other I panic and interfere. It's so hard not to.

Thanks.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I was wondering about the neutereing thing too? It is possible if your kitten hasn't been neutered, he could be maturing a little early. Also, kittens are little mainiacs. My Maggies who is 10 months old today tends to be a screamer. She will start playing with the boys, but she's usually the one that ends up screaming like they are killing her, but she's a bit of a drama queen. Another question I have is are there 2 litter boxes? (I know it's hard in an appartment, but I've managed to cram 3 boxes in a 400 sq foot apartment) If the kitten continues to harras the older one & there is not another box the older one can use he may end up with litter box issues. I have 3 boys & 1 girl it's not the gender it's more about being fixed & personality. It's possible your kitten isn't getting enough play time, make sure you spend some time playing with him every day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

midnightbride

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess it's possible he's maturing early, but he seems to just want to play. The problem with the litter box is when he hears the other cat scratching in the litter box he runs in to harass him, like it's a game. So far, he has been using it. I'll try to play with him more. God knows he has a million toys already but they get bored so easy.