Cats Exposed To Ringworm But Symptom-free: Need Culture Post-treatment?

saladflambe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick question:
My adult cats were exposed to ringworm via 2 foster kittens and myself.

The kittens are currently at a vet in boarding to finish their treatment. My own cats are also being treated (oral meds and miconahex baths + are in quarantine), and I'm, of course, cleaning and disinfecting lots and lots at the same time.

My cats remain symptom-free (*knock on wood* ... *seriously...all the wood*)

IF my cats remain symptom-free, do I need to have them cultured after treatment is over?
Both, or just one?
Or can I just assume we're good to go?

Catsnkiddos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have 6 cats. Two have ringworm. The semiferal was the first dx. She has been isolated in a large dog crate for MONTHS- not because I am worried about contagion, but because she hides when I try to medicate. She had an oral abx for 1 week and intrafungal one week off, one week on for months now. We can't stop until we get 2 clear cultures taken two weeks apart. She has stubborn patches that won't clear. I am unable to use the shampoo on her. My oldest cat is the other ringworm victim. She just started her treatment 2 weeks ago (I took each kitty to the vet to check once the first one was dx'd...and she was the last to be tested). She is in her off week and will do anther on week of intrafungal on Sunday. After 6 weeks we start the culturing in order to determine how much to extend treatment. She will have a bath tomorrow with the medicated shampoo. The 4 symptom free cats require no further visits per the vet- though I know what to feel for and have a black light for a quick check to determine if they get it. I have thankfully not gotten it.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would get a culture from both, just to be sure you are rid of it. It’s a lot less trouble to continue treatment than to clean up the whole house from the beginning because you mistakenly thought the ringworm was gone.