Cats Dying And L Cannot Bear To Let Go....

chloechance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not to get into it as l have a long thread on here already about my cats illnesses but since Nov. she has been doing well. But 2 weeks ago she started vomiting, bloody stool and lethargic. Off to the vet we go (again) they cannot believe she is even still alive w all thats going on. But they treated her for colitis. After a rough 5 days of struggling to get her potassium back up (she has hypokolemia due to an adrenal gland tumor) she got better! After a week of being fine today she began to have the weakness again. The head tilt, unable to walk far, sad glassy eyes. I pumped a dose of potassium into her but she is getting worse. Called vet they think we should check her levels as precaution but l just wanted the spironoloctane refilled that she used to get.

But heres the thing. I have over $1500 in vet bills already. The outcome is she has Cardiomyopathy (chf) with a very rare adrenal tumor. No cure. She will eventually die. But l got her by 8 months on OTC vitamins, I feel like we can get over this bump again but at what cost? I feel l am doing this all for me. What more is a test going to do. I know what l may need to do and l cant bear to even think about it!!!!! I need her! And l am being selfish :( But
I "saved" her once am l crazy to believe l can save her again?

JimmyJimmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not to get into it as l have a long thread on here already about my cats illnesses but since Nov. she has been doing well. But 2 weeks ago she started vomiting, bloody stool and lethargic. Off to the vet we go (again) they cannot believe she is even still alive w all thats going on. But they treated her for colitis. After a rough 5 days of struggling to get her potassium back up (she has hypokolemia due to an adrenal gland tumor) she got better! After a week of being fine today she began to have the weakness again. The head tilt, unable to walk far, sad glassy eyes. I pumped a dose of potassium into her but she is getting worse. Called vet they think we should check her levels as precaution but l just wanted the spironoloctane refilled that she used to get.

But heres the thing. I have over $1500 in vet bills already. The outcome is she has Cardiomyopathy (chf) with a very rare adrenal tumor. No cure. She will eventually die. But l got her by 8 months on OTC vitamins, I feel like we can get over this bump again but at what cost? I feel l am doing this all for me. What more is a test going to do. I know what l may need to do and l cant bear to even think about it!!!!! I need her! And l am being selfish :( But
I "saved" her once am l crazy to believe l can save her again?
Hi,it's absolutely gut wrenching and a lot of us have trodden the same path.I think you answered your own question when you stated "who am I doing it for? - me or my beloved cat?" I think in the end it's all about the cat,the quality of its life,any pain or discomfort the cat may be going through? We are not their owners - we are their best mates and closest friends.When I went through a heartbreaking similar situation I decided what was best for her and put my feelings to one side.When it was over - of course I was totally devestated ans a weeping wreck for a long time but I took comfort in doing what was best for her - her pain was over?

LSpector

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know exactly what you're going through as I recently got my baby girl Prim put-down after extensive health problems. It was by far the most difficult decision I have ever had to make and I sobbed through that entire phone call.

What you need to really think about is whether you are prolonging the inevitable, and by the sounds of it, you are. Now obviously this is a decision YOU need to make so I don't want to sit here and persuade or dissuade you. What I think you should do is take a moment to sit and think very logically about the situation. I know this may not be easy, but try to put all emotions aside while you do this.

Try not to be too hard on yourself either. This is not an easy situation. I would have given my kidney to Prim if it were possible, but at the end I knew things had gone on long enough and that she was dying. I'm sure your girl knows how much you love her and I truly like to believe they know you would do anything in your power to help (Prim always used to "look after" me when I was sick and I did the same for her). I wish you the best of luck and my heart is with you during this situation.

:grouphug2:

Thack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm very sorry that you are going through this. I very recently made the decision to let my chronically ill baby go. It was a very hard decision, but I knew that I had done all that I could for her. It hurts like hell that she is gone, but it hurt like hell to know she was suffering as well.

Everything that you do for a sick cat, from the meds to the vet visits, all of it, is to ease their hurt and make them feel well. It's easy to lose sight of the reason you do it all because you get caught up in the doing of it. At some point, the only thing you can do to ease their hurt is to let them go. Go easy on yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chloechance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I think the problem is that her potassium is so low from being sick last week we just cant stay on top of it. But we got over this hump a few times thats why its so hard to know if we will again or not. She is still eating a bit or trying too at least which is a good sign. Vet today prescribed more Spironoloctane and we are going to give her a few days to see if she perks up again. If not then it may just be her time.

Whats so ironic is the vet said her heart would kill her long before the tumor. So l focused on treating her heart. At her vet visit not only did they not hear any fluid in her lungs or heart but couldnt even locate her heart murmur. If only there was a way to combat the tumor.

But l am going to continue to pray. My prayers were answered before so maybe Chloe still has fight left in her. I know at the end of the day l fought hard for her.

catcrazycanuck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want to say that I feel your pain. I have gone through it before, and am there again now with my cat Scribbles. Like you, I saved him before. I was treating his IBD with homeopathic remedies and it worked. So of course I also want it to work now. But inoperable cancer is just too much to overcome. I know it in my heavy heart. It's so hard when they have good and bad days. It becomes a roller coaster of hope and despair. But as so many wise people here advise, we owe it to them to do what is best for them and their quality of life. It is good for me to hear this again too.
I think we will both know when it's time. You may have days or weeks. I think I have days. I know it can turn quickly. We just have to be ready to say it is time. So very difficult regardless. It seems impossible in fact, but afterwards we know it was the right thing even though our hearts are broken. Big hugs to you.

katlady-18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with what the others have posted. If she's still trying to eat she might have a chance but cancer is one s.o.b. disease we unfortunately can't beat forever in our pets (I lost my furbaby to this horrible disease). I know that devastating feeling of not wanting to let go; you feel as if a big part of you is ending along with them (the day before I had to say goodbye to mine, I cried like I had maybe never cried before in my life, it just felt like my soul was being crushed into a million pieces). But ask yourself what her quality of life is at this point and hear what your vet has to say. Then you can decide and do whatever is best for her.