Cats, Cold and Wind Chills

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked through the article on how to help a formerly abused kitten and a lot of it very good. But really doesn't quite match what I'm looking for. I'm caring for a small feral colony and one of the cats was abused as a kitten resulting in damaged vocal chords. This was hoarding situation 1. Then she was placed into another hoarding situation when Person #1 kicked them out and Person #2 down the street took them in. Anyway without going into detail with stuff that should be split into 3 different topics, it took me 2 years to get Sopdet to fully trust me. Now this past week, my Mom throws a tantrum. Making me move everything to behind the garage including her cat tree. Treasure is adaptable, tourmaline doesn't care one way or the other but now Sopdet is scared of me again. Have I lost her trust forever and ever or will things eventually go back to the way they once were. I'm really very sad about this. She's been through so much in her life. Please what can I do? Thank you.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
There's a pretty good chance that she'll trust you again. She may be more scared of the change itself, and no so much you.
I've been with a local SPCA for over 10 years. We've dealt with hoarding situations, abusive breeders, pets displaced from hurricanes, earthquakes, fires and even recently a Korean dog meat plant that was shut down. We got 29 dogs from that plant, some who've never seen or touched grass. Some were afraid of trees or birds, some even were afraid of walking through doorways. But in all my time there, I can count on one hand the number of animals who never ended up trusting humans ever again. Some take longer than others. Some need more focused, more intensive help.
Just take it slow. Do what you did the first time. She knows you and you know her. Everything will turn out ok.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree it is the sudden change and not you or your mom. Cats hate change, not that we can help it, but are more adverse to it than other animals seem to be. She will come around as she knows that she can trust you.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you are not a fan of FB but I want to tell you about a new group in our area called Rogue Rescue Network. It is a group hoping to be a one stop community for all of us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok hope someone can help me with this because I'm a little challenged when it comes to weather. Someone told me that windchill is only based on exposed skin and since cats don't have exposed skin as it covered by fur the windchill doesn't concern them, only the actual temperature. Sorry for being so dense, I am not sure what to believe anymore.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok hope someone can help me with this because I'm a little challenged when it comes to weather. Someone told me that windchill is only based on exposed skin and since cats don't have exposed skin as it covered by fur the windchill doesn't concern them, only the actual temperature. Sorry for being so dense, I am not sure what to believe anymore.
Cats do have exposed skin on their paws, nose and ears and can easily get frostbite.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I can try but she doesn’t like straw. I don’t think we’re getting anymore snow however

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I can try but she doesn’t like straw. I don’t think we’re getting anymore snow however
Maybe a blanket. If her paws are wet she might stick to it. If you can drape it over the chair and leave the seat uncovered that may be your best bet.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I can do that. So far she seems to be unaffected. We have my Mom to thank for all of this though

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Some of those groups do a good job of connecting people. I have my current GSD because someone in NY knew about his condition and managed to connect with a rescuer in MO who took him in and contacted me in LA.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing would entice her into the shelters. She left the property 10 hours ago. She’s not feral and most know the current situation around here. I’m scared for her. She is not used to this like the ferals. I an very sad. Unable to sleep due to worry and my physical pain. What should I do?

4E4876C1-4761-44E3-B9B4-7E4DFFDE8A33.png D0123E7D-B8DB-4CCA-B34A-0B3D7E2FC42F.png

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she left the property she most likely knows a warmer spot to go to. Cats are tough, I don't know how they do it! I had a cat that refused to sleep in the shelters. He did get under a blanket I propped up over the chair though. When it got brutally cold he did enter one of the heated shelters I had plugged in out there though. They sell them on Amazon from K&H and they run around 50.00. They collapse for summer storage and I've had mine for about 5 years now. I've got two of them plus a homemade heated pad shelter in the garage right now and am still worried about the two cats that use them. Our actual temperature is supposed to drop to -20F this weekend!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have outlets outside and snow and electric do not mix so I would never trust that. Treasure is outside whining but he does that in warm weather. Tourmaline did come back, trotting through the snow and had to dry off in the tent. Also remember I have this situation with Mom this week. I was outside in the weather and am curious as to how weathermen determine the temp and windchill because I would think if it was 5 degrees and -12 windchill when I went outside with just a light jacket I would feel it? Maybe I'm stupid? But wouldn't I feel very cold? I was out there for 10 minutes just outside the door and a bit over in the driveway with cams and their food. So I don't know. Wonder if weathermen lie just to instill fear in people.

mxw1214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she was gone for a long time and came back then she probably knows the right place to go to stay warm. I have a similar situation except my ferals are babies and this is their first winter, and I had them TNR before the cold came so now they are also missing a bunch of fur on their bellies. I couldn’t sleep or eat right for over a week, and what made me feel a little better was reading all the uplifting stories on sites like this about how cats survive winter and are very resourceful, and how they surprise you after missing for days by coming back. I haven’t seen my kittens or their mom for about a week now, so I’m still worried and can’t wait for the warmer weather to see if they come back!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, the wind chill is real, your skin could freeze and you might not even feel it.I was out in just zero degree weather with 50 MPH winds helping to break the ice for cattle, I even had my face covered with a ski mask. I was only out less than 5 minutes and the skin around my eyes turned white with frostbite. It was scary but did go away.
I run outdoor approved extension cords and tape the unions where they plug into the heating pad with waterproof tape. There are also weatherproof junction surrounds that keep water out. People use ext. cords all the time for Christmas decorations. What is the situation with your mom? I really don't know, I tried to go through previous posts but there wasn't any mention....Do you have a shed or garage that they might shelter in?

M mxw1214 , I'm sure they are hunkered down somewhere. Hopefully, they are young enough they are all cuddling together!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
No, the wind chill is real, your skin could freeze and you might not even feel it.I was out in just zero degree weather with 50 MPH winds helping to break the ice for cattle, I even had my face covered with a ski mask. I was only out less than 5 minutes and the skin around my eyes turned white with frostbite. It was scary but did go away.
I run outdoor approved extension cords and tape the unions where they plug into the heating pad with waterproof tape. There are also weatherproof junction surrounds that keep water out. People use ext. cords all the time for Christmas decorations. What is the situation with your mom? I really don't know, I tried to go through previous posts but there wasn't any mention....Do you have a shed or garage that they might shelter in?
Right but my weathermen lie. Yesterday they said it was clear skies when it was snowing at the time. And my skin did not turn white or blue or red or anything else. Sorry I know people who have lost their homes using electric outside so I'm not going to go that route. No garage or shed for them. The situation with Mom is posted in the What's on your Mind and I can't post it here.