Cat’s Claws Click When He Walks

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is this normal? when my cat walks on the floorboards his paws goes “click click click”.

I do trim his nails. But Because he’s really careful with his claws around people I only take the very tip off, just so things don’t snag on the super sharp points.

Now Im not sure whether I should be trimming more, or he’s just leaving his claws out on purpose when the walks around. He’s completely capable of retracting his claws - made apparent when I handle him, but he doesn’t seem to pull them in the whole way when he walks? does anyone else’s cat do this?

Attached are photos of front paw and back paw

Attachments

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Viewing your photos and if it were my kitty's toenails, she would definitely be due for her "mani/pedi". So, to me, those are a bit long.
I'd be interested to know what other members here think!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the front paws, I would personally trim off more of the clear part. I edited your photo to show approximately where I would trim, if it were my cat. For back paws, I normally leave them alone unless I'm taking a cat to a show or there is a medical reason to trim them.

50A51618-0278-48C3-AD18-ACDF98FE3D3C.jpeg

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I probably trim my cat's front nails a bit more than the back ones - but I do both for sure. Milly really tears around our apartment and we have wood floors. I figure that shorter back nails help decrease wood splinters from happening.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's nothing wrong with trimming back claws, I just don't do it unless I have to, since I have quite a few claws to trim as it is :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get a snap shot of his feet when he's standing normally on the ground?
I've got two out of 9 that the inside toes on the back feet only are the ones causing the clicking noise. They're 7 and 11 in age. I think it's probably structural but a few snips and the clicking sounds stop :wave3:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Is this normal? when my cat walks on the floorboards his paws goes “click click click”.
This is definitely the sound of his long claws clicking on the floorboards.

When I do not trim my boy's nails in time, he'll walk on the floorboard with clicking sounds and after trimming, no more sound.

lutece lutece did a good job by showing where to clip the nails the right way and also avoiding the 'quick' where the blood vessels are. Have plain flour on standby just in case you clip the 'quick and it bleeds. Soak the bleeding nail with the plain flour to stop the bleeding.

Here's another picture how not to get too close to the 'quick'.

IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you get a snap shot of his feet when he's standing normally on the ground?
I've got two out of 9 that the inside toes on the back feet only are the ones causing the clicking noise. They're 7 and 11 in age. I think it's probably structural but a few snips and the clicking sounds stop :wave3:
I just took a video. I feel bad if I clipped his claws short, but i guess cats don't walk on hardwood floors in the wild either

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Viewing your photos and if it were my kitty's toenails, she would definitely be due for her "mani/pedi". So, to me, those are a bit long.
I'd be interested to know what other members here think!
On the front paws, I would personally trim off more of the clear part. I edited your photo to show approximately where I would trim, if it were my cat. For back paws, I normally leave them alone unless I'm taking a cat to a show or there is a medical reason to trim them.
View attachment 288560
I guess the consensus is to trim and see. which is sad because I actually like his claws nice and long :( But it does sound uncomfortable for him...

This is definitely the sound of his long claws clicking on the floorboards.

When I do not trim my boy's nails in time, he'll walk on the floorboard with clicking sounds and after trimming, no more sound.
Funny it's only the floorboards. he doesn't clack on tiles :rolleyes2:

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was hoping someone would say it’s normal so I could leave his claws alone. alas

I just cut them all quite a bit shorter, but it doesn’t look like he wants to get out of bed right now. So i’ll update when he wakes up! :D

edit: I just wanted to add that it's surprisingly hard to cut at the angle shown in that diagram!

Attachments

Last edited:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he have extra toes on those back feet (more than 4 toes on each foot)? In the extremely adorable pictures you just posted, he looks like he has big thumbs on the front feet... I can't quite tell about his back feet, though. Cats with extra toes are more likely to make clicking sounds when they walk.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww he looks like a polydactyl love those feet

Does he have extra toes on those back feet (more than 4 toes on each foot)? In the extremely adorable pictures you just posted, he looks like he has big thumbs on the front feet... I can't quite tell about his back feet, though. Cats with extra toes are more likely to make clicking sounds when they walk.
yep! he's a polydactyl. I used to think it was his extra claw that clacked, but it turns out it wasn't. I guess it's just his long claws then, I wanted to keep them longer so he can enjoy using them (scratching or catching toys) when he wants to, I figured that since they're pretty long and sharp on outdoor cats, it should be okay for indoor cats. It turns out I didn't really think about mother nature not having smooth floorboards, lol.

edit:

oh and yep, 5 toes!

Attachments

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Funny it's only the floorboards. he doesn't clack on tiles :rolleyes2:
Usually floors with floorboards are more audible as below are hollow and if it’s hollow, wood makes more noise than tiles.

I trim my boys claws so that his paw pad have more grip when he takes fast corners around the house.

Last edited:

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good grief, he's cute!

I think there are many owners who do not cut claws, so there is really no "normal"! :)
It is definitely your decision. People have different reasons for their choices!
He’s a dorky one :dizzy:

I guess what I really wanted to know was, is he alright with his claws clacking like that? or is it uncomfortable, and that I should clip it for his comfort? I wish i knew how to speak cat :bigeyes:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you can figure out which of the claws is hitting the floor, he would probably be more comfortable if you can clip those particular claws so that they don't hit the floor.