Cats Butt Seems Wrong

Mollyolly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our neighbor threw her cat out and moved. She is between 6-7 I guess. A declawed female, friendly as can be. So we took her in, as the shelter told us to call animal control but animal control here quickly euthanizes.

She rubs her eyes a lot. We are thinking pink eye, the house did have another cat and we dont know where she is, or if she is ill. But something seems so wrong with her anus. I couldnt help notice that it seemed to have swelled out or something. But then she pooped in the box, a lot. It doesnt seem hard... and now her anus seems normal. What else I noticed is she is only pooping every other day. Eats fine, drinks like an average cat. She is always looking for food actually. There are no sign of worms. Im not going to lie, my husband and I are both on social security and do not have much. It was an unexpected thing to take her in, and I just cant get her to the vet for another 7 days. I have called around, explaining my situation but little help is offered. One place said to apply for credit care, but wont treat until we are approved... if we even are. I guess Im just trying to get some ideas on her condition and what we can do in the mean time. I know many will say you cant have a pet if you cant afford the vet..... but we honestly did call shelters, and we cant just leave her out side to die.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've done a wonderful thing to take her in! You did the right thing to take her in.

It sounds like her anus is normal to me. Cats have glands back there that can filled sometimes, but it looks like her bowel movement cleared that up. I wouldn't worry about her going every other day, either. As long as she's consistent, it's fine.

Whatever is bothering her eye can wait until you can take her in to the vet as long as you don't see any pus or any other kind of drainage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mollyolly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You've done a wonderful thing to take her in! You did the right thing to take her in.

It sounds like her anus is normal to me. Cats have glands back there that can filled sometimes, but it looks like her bowel movement cleared that up. I wouldn't worry about her going every other day, either. As long as she's consistent, it's fine.

Whatever is bothering her eye can wait until you can take her in to the vet as long as you don't see any pus or any other kind of drainage.
Thank you :)

What kind of drainage should we be looking for and what will it mean? Will the poor thing loose vision if there is any drainage? My husband thought he noticed a clear liquid happening tonight.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is pus, it means the eyes are infected, and you should get her to a vet as soon as you can. That could impair her sight. I don't know about the clear liquid - it could just be tears, especially if the eyes are irritated. You probably do need to have those eyes checked out when you can, regardless. Take a stool sample with you, and they will test for parasites and worms.

Mollyolly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If there is pus, it means the eyes are infected, and you should get her to a vet as soon as you can. That could impair her sight. I don't know about the clear liquid - it could just be tears, especially if the eyes are irritated. You probably do need to have those eyes checked out when you can, regardless. Take a stool sample with you, and they will test for parasites and worms.
No pus. But he is sure there was some clear fluid. She closes that eye when it happens, both eyes look a little irritated but she is definitely favoring the one. We set up an appt for next friday. We feel awful that its 7 days. I just hope she will be alright. We kind of can tell at ties she feels miserable. She was probably booted because of this.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: DreamerRose DreamerRose gave you some excellent advice. :thumbsup: If you need to go to a vet sooner and finances are difficult many shelters work with a vet or veterinary clinic that offer a discount. It's worth a shot to call some of the shelters in your area and check if they can help refer you to one of their vets.

Thank you so much for taking this cat in and giving him the love and attention he rightfully deserves. I'm sure he will flourish in your care and be your friend for life. :alright:

Mollyolly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, thank you to those who helped with my cat concern. I was able to book her an appointment for Monday. Sounding like conjunctivitis I guess. For those who do not know, I am very new to the cat world. A neighbor dumped her 6-7 year old declawed cat out and moved.
The earliest appt is coming from a vet hospital not a clinic. But it does offer a free first exam for new patients, so Im hoping the only thing we will have to pay for is the medicine? I read it ranges around $20 for the medicine. But does the price become higher in a hospital setting?
Also, there is no way I will be able to rub cream on her eye. I heard drops can be an option? I am so scared to mess this up. My husband and I are 65 and never owned a cat before. So we obviously want the easiest option for her, and us.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not sure if the cost varies at hospitals or clinics. Hopefully if the first exam is free it won't be too expensive.

I've used eye cream and eye drops on my cats. The drops are a little easier, but it varies from cat to cat. Here is a video about how to apply them.

This is a very well behaved cat! It takes two of us to give my cats their eye medication, but you get the idea.

:thumbsup:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My peach guy came from a friend of my sister in-law. She worked at a vet's office and took in LOTS of cats (15-20?) So I adopted him at 4 & 1/2 months old. He came with a mild cold (some sneezing and a tiny amount of discharge from his eye/eye booger.) It cleared up on it's own in a month. There is a chance that your cat will not require anything. If your cat does require eye drops, please ask your vet to let you practice with saline so they can show you how to do it :) Also you ask your vet about way to help her with mild constipation if you are still concerned. I live off SSI so I get limited funds and pet care. Thank you so much for taking her in.

blueorchid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome! You have done the right thing in taking this kitty in. If you are concerned about constipation you can try feeding her some plain canned pumpkin. If stool looks normal I wouldn't worry about it too much. My cats are not constipated and they have a bowel movement once every 24-48 hours, that's what's normal for mine. If there is something wrong with the anal glands you may see redness, swelling or discharge but it seems like the problem has resolved on it's own. As for the eyes- do you happen to have a Tractor Supply near by? There you can purchase Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment and apply to the eye/eyes until the appointment. I believe it's also sold on Amazon. I used it succesfully under the guidance and recommendation of my vet for a minor eye infection. I think I paid roughly $16 at Tractor Supply. This can at least tie you over until your appointment and prevent the eye from getting worse. Hope this helps!

Mollyolly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My peach guy came from a friend of my sister in-law. She worked at a vet's office and took in LOTS of cats (15-20?) So I adopted him at 4 & 1/2 months old. He came with a mild cold (some sneezing and a tiny amount of discharge from his eye/eye booger.) It cleared up on it's own in a month. There is a chance that your cat will not require anything. If your cat does require eye drops, please ask your vet to let you practice with saline so they can show you how to do it :) Also you ask your vet about way to help her with mild constipation if you are still concerned. I live off SSI so I get limited funds and pet care. Thank you so much for taking her in.
Thanks. I am pretty sure this is not going away on its own and needs something done. When she paws at her eye, it closes and her mood changes. That to us means she is in pain. I just can't believe she was dumped, she is so sweet.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So nice of you for bringing her in your home :) If the vet prescribe something for her eyes...ask him if he can give you samples. Tell him what you told us about social security and credit care. He might be able to suggest something to help you.