Cats Breathing.. Normal? (video)

DeannaF

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello :)

New kitty mommy here and just want to know if his breathing pattern is normal? Nothing out of the ordinary for him.. I was just observing. Here's a video... sorry it's kinda dark :/

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats' breathing patterns can be a bit uneven, especially if they are purring gently. If all else is fine, it's just him, and not an issue! Cute cat, btw!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
The cat should have 30 or less breathes per minutes while sleeping. If it's more than 35 I would get your cat looked at by vet-I have a cat with asthma-when it was acting up she would easily breathe 45 times a minute in her sleep. She is on flovent now 2 times a day and it's a nice 30 breathes a minute.

Do you notice any slowing down when playing or anything else? Honeybee didn't really wheeze in the beginning-just fast respirations.

xrays are what they use to diagnose asthma. It could be your kitty purring in her sleep. Just keep an eye on color of membranes-nose/tongue/gums/inside ears. Make sure always a nice pink color.

By the way the vets have us watch their breathing in sleep because when awake they don't know to sit quietly like us-best to count breathes in sleep-

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this something that you have been seeing for a long time or was it just a one-off situation?
As Foxxycat said, a cat at rest breathes 20 to 30 times per minute with a regular and even pattern. This pattern can be altered when a cat is purring or dreaming something exciting.
Check on him several times during his sleep and in different moments of the day. If you see that he breathes faster than 30 times per minute or has a shallow and uneven breathing then it could be a nice idea to take him to the vet.
It isn't necessary to check on his pattern for a whole minute, you can use fractions of a minute (15 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec) and then you can do the maths ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DeannaF

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I timed him once today and it was 25 breaths.

I just tried again but he's purring like crazy (he's asleep between my legs propped up on the foot rest) and then had an episode of REM sleep. Lol

Attachments