Cats Belly… normal or concerning?

Kakashi882

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my sweet kitty boy about a month or so ago. His belly has always looked like this but i got curious and began to Google it and got concerned. I adopted him from a shelter. He is VERY active, unsure of exact age but less than a year I think, he is eating regularly and pooping regularly. Am i being overly worried? Pictures attached. (No kittens were harmed in these photos, he’s just wiggly and I had to move fast!)

Attachments

Ocean’s Wisdom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What do you think is the problem with his belly? He looks like a very healthy happy cat to me. Obviously, if you go down the internet rabbit hole it can make you worry about anything. If his personality and habits are normal that’s a good indication on health. Give that guy some snuggles for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kakashi882

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What do you think is the problem with his belly? He looks like a very healthy happy cat to me. Obviously, if you go down the internet rabbit hole it can make you worry about anything. If his personality and habits are normal that’s a good indication on health. Give that guy some snuggles for me.
He’s a sweetie boy!! I was reading about how it could be worms, but once I took those pictures and compared them to other pictures I’d seen his belly isn’t as round as i was thinking in my head. I think when I had noticed earlier today that it was particularly round it was after he had just ate!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a cutie! I would say just keep an eye on it, but most likely nothing to worry about. You are probably right about a bigger belly right after eating!! You can always contact the shelter to see if they 'de-wormed' him before you adopted him, just for some peace of mind. If he is an indoor kitty, that reduces the chances of him acquiring worms (again).

But, who knows, it if turns out to be worms it is easily resolved with a wormer product. Any doubts you have can easily be answered by taking a fecal sample (even with some litter on it) to the vet and have them check for the most common internal parasites. Just ask your vet ahead of time if they accept samples without seeing the cat - most do. And, if you can't get the sample to the vet right away, you can always store it in the refrigerator for a few hours to keep it viable for testing.

Kakashi882

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a cutie! I would say just keep an eye on it, but most likely nothing to worry about. You are probably right about a bigger belly right after eating!! You can always contact the shelter to see if they 'de-wormed' him before you adopted him, just for some peace of mind. If he is an indoor kitty, that reduces the chances of him acquiring worms (again).

But, who knows, it if turns out to be worms it is easily resolved with a wormer product. Any doubts you have can easily be answered by taking a fecal sample (even with some litter on it) to the vet and have them check for the most common internal parasites. Just ask your vet ahead of time if they accept samples without seeing the cat - most do. And, if you can't get the sample to the vet right away, you can always store it in the refrigerator for a few hours to keep it viable for testing.
I’m taking him to the vet today as the shelter didn’t deworm him prior to adoption. Just going to get a check up and make sure he’s alright! Here’s another picture a few hours after he had eaten and he still looks a little bloated to me. His belly also isn’t very squishy, so I figured I’d just take him in! I’ll let you all know! Plus a bonus photo of him straight chilling a few weeks ago😂😂 Thank you for your input!

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let us know what the vet says. It could just be he's a bit on the pudgy side.

Kakashi882

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet said he’s fat 😂 I did want to get him into the vet anyway to be tested for worms and Feline Leukemia and FIP since he was in a shelter. He’s a happy healthy boy, and now I have peace of mind as well as have him established at a vet. ❤

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
K Kakashi882 my boy was 8 lbs at 5 months old. He was a chonky boi!! The last time he was at the vet, she told me he was about a pound too thin. LOL He's now 11, almost 12 and is in great health.