Cats Ate Cooked Chicken Wings!

jennyjen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I know this has probably been asked before, and I'm in the process of searching the forums, but I'm also freaking out. If anyone has any advice or can at least provide some moral support (so that I don't feel like such a terrible person), I would appreciate it.

My roommate and I foolishly threw two chicken wings in the trash last night. We should have known better, but we didn't think much of it because we'd be taking the trash out tonight. This morning, we discovered that my two cats knocked the trash over and had ripped apart the wings. We found some small bone fragments that would make up maybe one small wing bone, but that's it. We dug through the trash and have searched the apartment and haven't found anything else.

I called the vet this morning and they said to keep an eye on the cats and look for any abnormal symptoms. So far, they seem to be acting normal and have been eating, but they haven't pooped yet. My roommate is home with them now, and I plan to separate them tonight so that if one of them poops, we know which one it is. I'm very concerned about the amount of bone they might have consumed and the potential for a bowel perforation or obstruction. Plus, I don't know if they both participated or if one of them ate two chicken wings! I'm hoping they both poop tonight, but if not, they're going to the vet tomorrow (and if any other symptoms show up, I'll take them to the emergency vet).

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm kicking myself for putting those wings in the trash because I know how mischievous they are, and I feel like a terrible person!! :(

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Darlin, it has probably happened to MOST of us at some time or another, and almost always it turns out fine! Stop beating yourself up over this! OOPS! You're human, like the rest of us, and occasionally we do things without thinking. Just keep a watch on the cats, as the vet said, and give yourself a break. I'm betting that this won't ever be an issue again, and that's all anyone can ask of you! Oh, and do let us know what happens. We fret about stuff, you know.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really really don't beat yourself up about this! cats outside will often eat all manor of bad things from the bins! You really just need to keep an eye on them. It's a reccommendation to avoid giving cats cooked bones since the may splinter, unfortunately cats can't read so they didn't get the memo I've known many a cat to help themselves to a good portion of discarded chicken throughout our neighbourhood and they are still right as rain arguing amongst themselves about who will get the next portion of bin meats. :vibes::vibes:

Kitten70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ohh, I would not worry a bit about it. When we met our cat (14 years ago) he was next to a trash bin in the middle of the street and guess what he was eating? yes, all parts of a chicken that someone dumped. I remember specially the foot of the chicken, he and a dog were fighting to eat it, and Kitty won! Cats used to eat chicken (and other animal) parts in the past (when dry food didn't even exist) and they all survived :)

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
A word of precaution here on cooked bones. Once cooked, they become brittle and sharp and can cause serious damage.

This is taken off an article on this website 'Never feed cooked bones. Cooked bones are dangerous, regardless of their size. Fresh bones are soft and flexible. Cooked bones are brittle and shatter and can cause internal damage.' Raw Feeding Cats: Calcium And Bones

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agreed, don't beat yourself up about it! My cats have gotten into chicken wings several times -- I even think I properly disposed of them and they still get to them! Drives me nuts.

Every time it has happened to me, my cats have been fine. Definitely keep an eye out of course -- cooked bones like that of chicken wings could potentially cause a problem -- but the vast majority of the time, they are fine. Cats have nine lives for a reason, right?