Cats Ate Cooked Chicken Wings (bone)

frankros91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my 2 cats got into some friend chicken wings on saturday night. After some quick googling I've found out that this can be potentially dangerous for them, as the cooked bones splinter and can cause damage.

The wings were just fried, no sauce or anything, but I did catch them in the act, and they both probably consumed about half a wing bone (and the meat obviously). This isn't the first time we've encountered our kitties eating things they shouldn't. One of them was a stray and on his way to becoming fully feral, so he's got a bit of a gutter pallet and will eat mostly anything.

So being a little experienced in this...we know the routine is usually just to keep a close eye and watch for a change in behavior.

Well, this morning was the first sign of something. One of my boys regurgitated his breakfast about 30 minutes after eating. He proceeded to gobble it right back up. I was on my way to work at the time, and only found out through a text from my girlfriend. I promptly turned around and came home with the intention of taking him to the vet. Keep in mind, the vomiting (or regurgitation more specifically) occurred Tuesday Morning... he consumed the bones on Saturday night, so we are talking over 48 hours removed from the time of consumption.

I called the vet and explained the situation. She seemed to calm me down and didn't think I needed to bring him in. She said that regurgitation like that isn't uncommon, and since it only happened the one time, she didn't think he needed to come in. She said to watch him and make sure it doesn't happen again, if it does, then that changes things.

After talking with the vet I gave him another half serving of his normal portion of food. He eats about 4 oz of wet Weruva twice a day...so I gave him about a half a can to see if he keeps it down. So far so good, he gobbled it up and has been fine since. His energy level is the same, him and the other cat did their usual play session after I gave them their snacks...and right now he's just sitting on his cat tree staring out the window. If I didn't catch him regurgitation, I would assume nothing is wrong otherwise. The litter boxes have seemed normal to me as well, so I'm pretty sure he's been pooping as well.

Another thing my googling told me to look out for was loss of appetite, lethargy, or a swollen tummy. He has none of those things. He woke us up at his usually breakfast time by nibbling on our fingers in bed (normal for him), he has been playing with our other cat and chasing the laser pointer, and he doesn't seem to have a swollen tummy or be in any sort of discomfort when i pressed on his belly to feel around. So really his only symptom was the food regurgitation that happened this morning...about 60 hours after the consumption of the chicken wing.

Really I'm just looking for some reassurance that my boy will be okay. I was fully ready to take him in for x rays but the vet didn't seem to think it was necessary. I figure that she really must believe that, because I would think if there was the slightest chance he isn't okay, she would recommend to bring him in...especially considering they would make money off of it.

We lost our first kitten to FIP this past Christmas, and would be devastated if something were to happen to our boys. Especially if I could have prevented it. What do you guys think?

- Frank

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would, as your vet suggested, keep watch. If any symptoms then take him in. That being said if you are super worried im sure your vet would check them, even if she doesn't feel its necessary. Sometimes its necessary if only for our peace of mind. Been there :)

one thing i would not do is press on his belly. I know it something we just do out of instinct to see if they are hurting. But if there is an issue, such as bladder, kidneys, or a fragment pressing could make it worse.

we know better now, but i know back in the old days people gave left over chicken and foods like that to cats and dogs. Luckily ours never had a problem. They can have problems with cooked bone, but not always.

Keep watch, and do let us know how it goes. Sending you positive wishes and thoughts.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother fed our cats cooked chicken bones all the time, which caused the cats to cough and gag on the bones. If your cats didn't choke on the bones when they first ate them, I doubt if they are in any danger now. (I begged Mother not to feed them the bones, but it made no difference.)

Of course, keep an eye on them, but after this length of time since they ate them, the cats have probably passed the bones by now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frankros91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies and kind thought. Things are still normal as of now. I'll continue to looking for anything abnormal.

From what I can tell based on my research, complications from an incident like this are rare, but can't be too careful. I'll keep this thread updated.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you've done your research and know what to look for.
The only other thing I'd mention is that he might end up a bit constipated, which might have contributed to the regurgitation. Keep up on the canned food, no kibble, and he should be back on track in no time.

Sheesh! what these little furmonsters put us through! lol

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you even sure they ate any bone, or was it just cartilage?

I think your vet and other people here have given you good advice; it sounds to me like your cats are handling this just fine.

Welcome to The Cat Site! :hellosmiley: :hithere: You've found the best community of cat lovers on the internet and we hope you and your little terrors will be with us for a very long time.

Margret

frankros91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you even sure they ate any bone, or was it just cartilage?

Yes, I'm sure, it was about half missing.

Thanks for the warm welcomes :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies and kind thought. Things are still normal as of now. I'll continue to looking for anything abnormal.

From what I can tell based on my research, complications from an incident like this are rare, but can't be too careful. I'll keep this thread updated.
Hoping they had a good day!!
Mine will sometimes regurgitate if they eat too fast or it goes "down the wrong pipe." Never pleasant and kind of worrying if you suspect something can be going on.
We had 6 pets once, mixed dogs and cats, get into a trash can containing cooked bones. When we got home we realized what had happened but had no way of knowing who ate what or how much; our vet told us to watch closely and feed them some bread, pumpkin, peas, etc., anything fiber to kind of "coat" the stomach, and instructed us that if anyone acts off, get them into the vets.
Everyone was fine. I'm so paranoid now that I bag up cooked bones and take them out and don't leave them in the trash =/
The former feral thing is a good clue as no feral cat would turn down cooked bones if hungry, and gutter palate can sometimes lead to an iron stomach, so that probably works in his favor!

frankros91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I just found diarrhea in the litter box. But I can't be sure from which cat.

Could this be from a fried chicken wing just maybe upset his stomach? I wouldn't think that would effect him days later though. Could it be from eating the regurgitated food?

Either way I'm about to call the vet and see what they think.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know. Probably nothing, but under the circumstances I believe you're wise to call the vet.

Margret

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I just found diarrhea in the litter box. But I can't be sure from which cat.

Could this be from a fried chicken wing just maybe upset his stomach? I wouldn't think that would effect him days later though. Could it be from eating the regurgitated food?

Either way I'm about to call the vet and see what they think.
Let us know. Hopefully it's just a tummy upset/irritation that will go away on its own!

frankros91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the vet checked out the main cat of this whole debacle and didn't feel Xrays were necessary. He was very alert and not at all lethargic and said he seemed completely healthy. He even felt his belly and said he felt formed stool in his colon. This lead him to believe it was actually the our other cat who had the diarrhea. He prescribed us something to coat their stomach, high fiber food, and probiotics. Said everything should be fine and to just monitor them. Also said that feeling their belly is a good sign of if there is a blockage or the bone caused a tear, as it would be painful to the touch.

frankros91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday went smoothly. Both boys acting normal, eating, and pooping.

I think we are out of the woods. Thanks for all the replies :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday went smoothly. Both boys acting normal, eating, and pooping.

I think we are out of the woods. Thanks for all the replies :)
Silly cats making us worry so much!
Glad they're doing better =)