Cats and Water

el3ctrician

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone else have a cat that actually likes water?

I have two cats a 13 year old and an 11 year old.  Both males.  TJ the younger one loves to follow me everywhere.  When taking a shower, he stays on the bathrug.  When I take a bath however, he is usually on the edge of the tub. He will also just jump down into the tub with me if I do not keep an eye on him and prevent him from doing so.

It does not really bother me, its just I have never seen another cat that actually likes to play in water and was wondering if anyone else has.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats do love the sound and love watching running water. This is why the use of water fountains are encouraged to entice a cat to drink more. You will see  many cats that love to drink from running water in a sink.  If you look on you tube you'll find many videos of cats that REALLY love water. Though most like to drink from or watch running water, few really want to get to wet.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you look on you tube you'll find many videos of cats that REALLY love water. Though most like to drink from or watch running water, few really want to get to wet.
Reminds me of this video in my favorites:

ANd this cat can't decide if it likes water:

(Not sure if it's okay to post videos. No specific video policies in the rules section.)

Last edited by a moderator:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  Thats one thing I've always heard of; but never had.  One of my cats growing up had such a dislike of water she'd run from just a few drops.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fhi09  

(Not sure if it's okay to post videos. No specific video policies in the rules section.)

They are; we just ask that they be embeded.  
 (I embeded them for you)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Both my tabby girls liked water and would play with the running tap. One of them (unfortunately) figured out how to turn my kitchen tap on.  I came home to a soaking wet kitchen one day as they'd turned the tap on, stuck their paws under the running water, and splashed it everywhere.  I had to tie a towel round it for a couple of weeks to get her out of the habit.   Relieved  they didn't figure out how to put the plug in too! 
  One of them was really chilled out about baths!  She'd sit quite contentedly in a sink of water while I wet her fur, rubbed in the pet shampoo and rinsed it out. Discovered this when she walked in to some paint one day and had to wash it off ASAP, but it was just as well as she had terrible UTIs and would get a bit smelly when unwell  The bit she hated was getting dried off and would  smell like damp wool for several days afterwards!  Her sister tolerated baths but wouldn't sit in the water any longer than she had to.

My current boy used to be happy pawing about in about an inch of bath water but he accidentally jumped under the shower when it was on one day. He's been a bit more wary of wet stuff since then.... 

cats galore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have over the years experienced under different situations, cats that love to jump into the shower once someone finishes taking a shower.   I guess they like the wet surface and like to lick the residual water.  We have 7 cats inside and have a bathroom where the smaller cats can get under the door.  Incidentally, when I go to use the toilet and stand there using it, some of the young ones like to put their paws on the rim and look inside (I know – it’s disgusting!).  I think maybe I’ll try one of those toilet training devices I’ve seen in some pet stores – it will help save on kitty litter!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Incidentally, when I go to use the toilet and stand there using it, some of the young ones like to put their paws on the rim and look inside (I know – it’s disgusting!).
I, too, have an audience whenever I stand using the toity. They don't put their paws on the rim, but they sit on the tank and on the bathroom vanity.