Cats and Febreeze?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I used Febreze on my curtains once. Jamie (not in the room) sneezed so much that day that I had to take down all the curtains and wash them. I haven't used it since.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's the fragrance. I know my sinuses swell up when I'm in the presence of a heavily perfumed lady.
I've been using a similar product called Renuzit with no problems whatsover.

amandaofcols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use it in my house and I've never had any adverse reactions, but I also use the Natures mIracle as a fabric refresher! :eek:) That or the Woolite Pet stain carpet cleaner. It leaves a clean smell behind, but I only use that in my car and on the stains themselves, not on the furniture.

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've thought about using vinegar to get rid of the smell from where the stubborn dog keeps peeing....but then won't I have the smell of vinegar? Does it go away after it dries? I'm afraid to try it until I know!

Amber

emma's friend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emma starts sneezing if I use it too often. The other two seem not to be affected. Now I only use it after one of my son's friends visits. His parents both smoke in their home and he carries the fumes with him.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to snopes, febrese is safe around animals.

The National Animal Poison Control Center, an organization under the aegis of the ASPCA, tells us that they have no evidence that Febreze, when used according to label instructions, is harmful to pets. In fact, they say it's "now approved by the ASPCA for safe use around cats and dogs." Given the choice between believing an anonymous e-mail message and the ASPCA, we'll side with the ASPCA. Two of the specific concerns about Febreze — that it contains zinc chloride (which is supposedly harmful to pets) and that it uses aerosol propellants (which pose a danger to many types of birds) are not viable: the improved Febreze formula (produced since December 1998) does not contain zinc chloride, and Febreze is a pump spray rather than an aerosol.

This information is aimed primarily at dog and cat owners; Febreze acknowledges that consumers should be cautious about using Febreze (or any other aerosol or spray product) around birds:

However, as birds are uniquely sensitive to some airborne household products and environmental factors, experts recommend removing the bird from the room until the product application has fully ventilated, like you would do with any household cleaning product.
Of course, the statement that Febreze is "safe" assumes that it is being used with normal due care by pet owners; nearly any product can be dangerous when misused. (Lemon furniture polish is perfectly safe if it's used to polish furniture, but not if it's used to make lemonade.) In this case, "due care" means not spraying it directly on pets, and removing birds from the room during its application.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for reiterating what I said in an earlier post in this thread, with the additional evidence, that Febreze is safe when used as directed. I suppose some people will still prefer to listen to their unfounded fear instead of the facts, though.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Thanks for reiterating what I said in an earlier post in this thread, with the additional evidence, that Febreze is safe when used as directed. I suppose some people will still prefer to listen to their unfounded fear instead of the facts, though.
In both instances of losing animals, I did, in fact follow the directions, moreso, I waited extra time to be sure the areas I sprayed were completely dry.
I hardly see that as unfounded.
When I called P&G about the issue, I was told that their test findings were based on adult dogs and cats in their prime, not on birds, small animals, infirm animals, elderly animals, or juvenile animals.
My birds were completely removed from the house to enjoy their day on the sunporch, their cage was rehung above the sprayed couch, hours after it was sprayed, they died in under an hour.

As well, any product that has fragrances that can set an asthmatic into a full blown attack is also enough fragrance to kill most small animals, including birds.
Their product is mislabeled, it is not safe for 'pets', it is safe for healthy, adult dogs and cats.

tigerlilly2013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat died within a month of using Febreeze to clean my carpets.  Got a horrible upper respiratory infection and her entire digestive tract shut down.  Worst cold I've ever seen in a cat.  Refused to eat and literally starved to death.  It was 80 degrees the day I cleaned the carpets and the chemicals in this may have gone airborne -- was extremely toxic for her.  Won't use this in my home again.  I had no idea.  I'm so devastated.  She started having seizures and died yesterday of complications, I believe, from coming in contact with Febreeze.  

shelli cotriss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Febreeze made my cat sick, sneezing, the vet put her on something & it cleared up.  But I wouldn't use it around animals or children.

shelli cotriss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My facts are that the vet bill was huge, and the Febreeze product caused the respiratory infection in my cat--so believe what makes sense to you--

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Of course, the statement that Febreze is "safe" assumes that it is being used with normal due care by pet owners;
You know what they say when you Assume? 

That being said I have used Febreeze on several occasions, can count the number of times on one hand.  I really don't care for it and don't plan to use it again.