Cats and Febreeze?

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if it's safe to spray Febreeze around cats? It says it is pet safe, but in the cautions it says keep away from pets and children. Does anyone use this around their own cats and how do the cats handle it? Or is there something else someone can recommend????

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I use it often on my comforter (it's such a pain to wash and is a load in itself) and sometimes on my carpets.... I make sure Oliver's not right where I'm spraying it and would never spray it on him or his beds (I make sure to let the febreeze dry before letting him back on my bed too) and he's never had any reaction whatsoever to it... not even a sneeze... btw, I use the allergin reducer kind

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I DON'T trust it! I've heard stories before of animals getting very sick and/or dying from it. This was a couple years back, but I still don't trust any chemical. Better safe than sorry I say.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost an older feral to the stuff some years ago, lost a few rescue birds as well.
This stuff is not allowed in my house.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use it when the kids are outside only...Does anyone really know what that stuff is ??

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i personally don't like the stuff. i hate the way it smells. but i have to admit i have used it in my car. when we got our car (used) it had a peculiar smell to it, and the automotive febreeze got rid of the smell. but i don't use the stuff in the house at all. i don't really like the fruity/floral smell it has. and it has long since dissipated in the car (thank goodness).

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used the citrus-scented Febreze as a cat deterrent. The intent being that the cats dislike the scent, so they stay away from where it's been sprayed. I haven't had any problems, and I use it so little, but thanks for bringing up the question. There aren't any ingredients listed on the label, which is a little troubling, so I guess I'll have to do some research.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The man who cleans my carpet said not to use Fabreeze. He said that it leaves a sticky residue that attracts dirt and could be toxic.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
o_O The Animal whatsits have declared it pet safe. I don't like it, but that's because my BIL is so ignorant as to spray his dog with it directly.
I honestly don't think Jason's family should have pets sometimes.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well isn't that good to know considering I have always used Febreeze thinking it was animal safe. That's how it is marketed. I even spray it all over the floor in the room where Dori's litter box is because that's the office room and my fiance smokes in there as well.
It seems that every time I think I am using something safe it turns out to be bad.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I lost my beloved Max, almost thirteen years old, due to some kind of exposure to something toxic that damaged his kidneys. I have been so careful over the years, and yet something still happened to him. Believe me, if I had any doubts at all about something harming my cat, I would not use it. I say, it is not worth the risk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Anything that says it's pet safe but to keep away from pets and children is not safe for my cats in my book.

Now does anyone know of anything that I can use?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I discovered the product I'm using is Renuzit. Close, but not the same. But I went to the P&G website to research Febreze. P&G claims it's safe for use around pets:

http://www.homemadesimple.com/febrez...pet_care.shtml

I also checked out the Manufacturer's Safety Data Sheet, which is the information required to be filed with the government that lists various types of hazards. The ingredients list is: water, alcohol, odor eliminator derived from corn, fragrance. The health hazard rating is 1 = slight. It's noted as a mild eye irritant. The caution statement required on the label is "USE ONLY AS INTENDED. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN. Do not spray directly toward face."

Here is the MSDS (pdf): http://www.pg.com/content/pdf/01_abo...re/Febreze.pdf

My conclusion from doing my research is that it's safe so long as cats do not swallow it, breath the mist, or get the mist in their eyes. These are all common-sense precautions. It should make sense that you don't spray it when your cat is around, because the cat doesn't know any better to avoid the mist that hangs in the air momentarily. So long as it's used properly, a cat should suffer no ill effects.

Let's examine why it says "keep out of reach of children." That's simple. A child could easily use it improperly. Spray it into his face. Open it up and drink it. Things that a cat couldn't do. When the company says it's safe for use with pets but keep away from children, it presumes that the user understands the safe use cautions and observes them around pets, but that anything can happen with a child. So because a label says this, it doesn't lead to the conclusion that the product is unsafe around pets when used as directed. And that's always the key.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

Now does anyone know of anything that I can use?
besides nature's miracle (for pet stains), i also use a vinegar and water solution.
my MIL recommended it when we moved into an apartment that had some kind of stains (i know, icky) in the carpet and they smelled. we used several applications of vinegar/water solution (soak it down, let it dry, repeat) and that really worked. so that is what i usually use, especially on carpet or other fabrics.

i only used febreeze in the car 'cause my sister recommended it. (there was a water leakage problem that got fixed but a residual smell...the febreeze did the trick)

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
O__O

So it isn't safe even though there is the Iams Pet Saftey Guarentee? I needed to use it this thursday too before the social worker gets here. Dang. Time to plug the air freshener in I guess.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use it to freshen up my sheet and covers when I make the bed . I don't spray it when they are around but they do get on the pillows, bed at night