Catio questions

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm new here and we've just built a nice sized catio/enclosed area for my 3 cats and two dogs (Papillons). It's pretty well complete except for the "floor". There's a patio inside the catio, but the rest of the ground is a mixture of loose stone, dirt (mud), and thistles. There are a few spots of grass that the dogs use to pee on, but it's very sparse.
I've been considering what to do and I'm not sure which direction to turn. So far I've considered:
-Plant grass.
(Pros: Cats love the grass, dogs are used to it.)
(Cons: I'd have to mow it. Possibly more fleas. Could take awhile to start growing so I'd have to keep everyone off of it for quite awhile.)

-Install turf.
(Pros: Pretty to look at, low maintenance for the most part. It would be nice to see something green and cheerful when the weather is gray and brown mud.)
(Cons: Expensive. Will need replaced after x number of years depending on what the manufacturer says. If someone would have diarrhea it could be hard to clean up, and in the winter time there will be no possibility of using a hose. And my main concern, is it safe for them to walk on, roll in, then lick their paws/groom themselves? My older dog has lymphosarcoma and I'm doing my best to be as green as possible, and am probably being overprotective but who cares :)

-River rock/pea gravel
(Pros: Pretty to look at. Easy to maintain.)
(Cons: Not very comfortable on their paws. Could be a choking/intestinal blockage hazard if someone would swallow one.)

-Mulch
(Pros: Easy to maintain, easy to rake around.)
(Cons: Could be messy, same choking/blockage hazard.)

If anyone has any insight or other ideas, I'd love to hear them! TIA!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about cat grass and catnip? Depending on how big the area is, it might get trampled enough by the animals that mowing it wouldn't even be needed much if at all.

ETA: I'd also start with the grass and see how it goes and if it doesn't work out it you can switch to a different thing since the grass itself wouldn't be too big of an investment compared to the others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What about cat grass and catnip? Depending on how big the area is, it might get trampled enough by the animals that mowing it wouldn't even be needed much if at all.

ETA: I'd also start with the grass and see how it goes and if it doesn't work out it you can switch to a different thing since the grass itself wouldn't be too big of an investment compared to the others.
That's a good point about the investment, thank you!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Although, I was going to vote for mulch, because I am not sure who you are worrying about choking on it - but then I thought about sand instead.
:) Both the dog and cat in my profile picture chew on random objects. The dog has chewed up pens, pencils, etc. and the cat has a fascination for twisty ties, milk lid rings, and anything else he can get his teeth on. I'm not 100% sure he'd ignore mulch (or stones, or even plastic-ish turf.) No one told that cat he's 14 years old!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know it isn't an option but I'd do pavestones with a few open areas for pee spots which you can do some grass on then a planter or two with catnip and wheat grass for color and munching. I would also do some logs scattered that would make for sitting spots and scratching posts. I use pavestones and bricks in both my catio and aviary. It stays cool in the summer (at least in shady spots, I can wet it to cool it off in sunny spots). I can take a pressure washer to it if needed (mostly in aviary). I can sweep it for light cleaning. It does help with filing down nails (ever so slightly) when animals walk on it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about installing sod, grass all ready to go? It would be a little more expensive but you wouldn't have to keep the animals off. you could maybe just do a really small area and put the rest in mulch.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We have artificial turf in our catio. The cats have never tried to chew on it. It's been there several years now and has held up well. We use a pressure washer if there's diarrhea or vomit. We also have a small planter in there with cat grass for them.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it isn't an option but I'd do pavestones with a few open areas for pee spots which you can do some grass on then a planter or two with catnip and wheat grass for color and munching. I would also do some logs scattered that would make for sitting spots and scratching posts. I use pavestones and bricks in both my catio and aviary. It stays cool in the summer (at least in shady spots, I can wet it to cool it off in sunny spots). I can take a pressure washer to it if needed (mostly in aviary). I can sweep it for light cleaning. It does help with filing down nails (ever so slightly) when animals walk on it.
:yeah: You have created such a wonderful, safe and stimulating environment for your bunnys :bunny: and kittys :lovecat2: that I heartily recommend your suggestion :bouquet:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I checked into this, and it actually could be an option for at least a section. It would look very nice and be functional and I could still have some grassy areas wherever I please!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We have artificial turf in our catio. The cats have never tried to chew on it. It's been there several years now and has held up well. We use a pressure washer if there's diarrhea or vomit. We also have a small planter in there with cat grass for them.
I definitely want a planter! They are going to love it. I haven't done anything with shelving but that part shouldn't be too difficult!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dont use mulch.

We have it in our cat "yard". It sticks to our long haired cats. They bring it into the house and we are forever cleaning it up.

How big is the catio? That will in part affect your options?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure how big exactly but I'm seriously considering using the pavers like Kieka mentioned around the patio and maybe a path to the gate and planting the rest to grass. It's just so weedy right now.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd definitely do a paver path in that. Probably not where grass is already growing but try to get all the bare spots. Also a bench or two along with some logs. Logs really are a scratching post hit in my household, they are super durable and easier to replace when needed then your traditional scratching post. Here is Link demonstrating with one of ours in the yard, we have them at different angles and ones big enough to sit on too.

20160430_062800.jpg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd definitely do a paver path in that. Probably not where grass is already growing but try to get all the bare spots. Also a bench or two along with some logs. Logs really are a scratching post hit in my household, they are super durable and easier to replace when needed then your traditional scratching post. Here is Link demonstrating with one of ours in the yard, we have them at different angles and ones big enough to sit on too.

View attachment 422295
Is that a Snowshoe?? Gorgeous!
Now another conundrum. I realized that I have lemongrass coming up in the area. I planted it years ago before it was enclosed and the cats never had access to it (the dogs ignore it.) Is this something I should be ripping up?
I really poked along the area last night and the only identifiable other things I can find are dandelion and planton leaves and the ever-present thistles. I just want to make sure it's 100% safe before I let them out.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is that a Snowshoe?? Gorgeous!
Now another conundrum. I realized that I have lemongrass coming up in the area. I planted it years ago before it was enclosed and the cats never had access to it (the dogs ignore it.) Is this something I should be ripping up?
I really poked along the area last night and the only identifiable other things I can find are dandelion and planton leaves and the ever-present thistles. I just want to make sure it's 100% safe before I let them out.
He's a good lookalike for one.

Lemongrass is fine for cats, at least it is in its natural form. Lemongrass essential oil isn't good for them but that's concentrated basically with added oils their systems can't handle.