Cat Won't Stop Shedding.

tee-tee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brush my cats at least once a week with that Furminator brush thingy and with one of my cats (The Chartreux) the hair eventually stops appearing on the brush so I know he's done, but my DSH does. Not. Stop. Shedding. I can brush her for literally 20 minutes and still get just as much hair at 20 minutes as I did with the first pass. This is regardless of summer time. She will just not stop shedding. Is she growing it back instantly? I can literally make 2 little kittens from the hair I pull off of her.

I can lightly pinch hair anywhere on her body and end up with a pinch of hair that just comes right off her. She's not bald or anything. She feels soft and fuzzy and purrs and loves when I brush her. Should I just keep going and make more little fur balls until she stops showing hair on the brush thing?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
You can over groom, especially with a furminator. It has a little blade in it so you aren’t just pulling loose fur but cutting some of the attached fur as well. A short hair cat doesn’t need that much grooming - a few minutes with a soft brush is really all it needs. If you use the furminator, one quick pass through should be all.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby who is short haired also has a lot of loose hair. She does shed more often with seasonal changes, but I can still use a hard bristled brush on her and get a lot of hair before I quit. I usually stop after I clean the brush the 3rd time - it is probably in total an overflowing palmful of hair. I actually try to brush her 3 times a week because of it.

I don't try pulling hair out afterward, but I can pet her immediately after finishing with a brushing and still see fur flying off of her. She doesn't have bald spots either.

I agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 , if you are going to use the Furminator, stop after one round.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a gray plush thing on my lap right now. Not short hair, Not long hair, just thick/plush.
I can brush her for an hour...she LOVES it. Probably enough fur in the trash can to knit a sweater or build another cat. And if I continue, I'd just get more fur. She's always been this way.
I think it's just normal for some cats?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi tee-tee tee-tee , FYI, the blue color is common in the domestic cat gene pool, and doesn't indicate that a cat is related to any of the "blue breeds" (Chartreux, Korat, Russian Blue).
I looked at your older posts describing Ash here:
Best Brush For His Fur?
My Fuzz-ball, Ash
I would describe Ash as a blue domestic shorthair; I'm not seeing a similarity in him to any particular breed. That doesn't make him any less handsome or special, however :)