Best Brush For His Fur?

tee-tee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a Domestic/Chartreux, err... Domestic/Russian Blue err.... Domestic/Korat err.. I'm still not sure. Personally, I think he's a Chartreux.

Anyway, I am curious as to what would be the best brush for his fur? I have that Furminator thingy and it works great for my regular cat, but not as well with Ash (Chartreux).

I got some pics of him.

Attachments

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous cat! Which Furminator did you try? There seems to be more than one.

You may want to simply use one of the cat brushes that looks more like a human hair brush. The Furminator De-shedding tool actually bears a close resemblance to a flea comb and tends to pull on the fur -- in fact, that's kind of the point of the De-shedding tool. Some cats like the feeling, others hate it.

Margret

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a regular, small, and large double bladed Furminator I pull out for different things. For my blue I usually either use the regular or the double bladed larger one (he's a larger cat) *I think it was Kate that did the video of this bad boy when it came out *but in all honesty his coat just doesn't blow out the same way my little DSH tortie does. I can brush and brush and brush and keep pulling undercoat out on her and she LOVES it and I usually just use the regular one on her. She'll get mad when the boys walk by to make fun of her for being groomed because they don't like it. She thinks they are trying to take her turn.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:flail:Some things just can't be explained to cats!

Okay, my Jasmine has the same kind of coat as the cat in the video, but she would never tolerate that brush. Even a single de-shedding tool pulls too hard for her. Your Ash has a shorter coat, with less undercoat than either your female or Jasmine, but apparently he, also, objects to the way de-shedding tools grab at the fur and pull.

I found a brush in the pet aisle of the grocery store that's double-sided. One side has the kind of bristles you would find on a normal human hair brush, and the other side has widely spaced metal bristles, with little plastic tips on the ends to avoid cutting into skin, like the brushes they sell for humans to get the tangles out of wet hair. I don't know the brand name, but it was cheap and Jasmine tolerates it well. And, for the price of a single brush, you have two that you can try out to see which one he likes best.

Your goal should be to make Ash think that you've found a marvelous new way to massage and scratch him. This is apparently how your female views grooming; you're the only one in the house who truly understands that it's about shedding, and that's the way you want to keep it.

Margret